Protein for someone with WHEY, EGG, DAIRY allergies

Options

Replies

• rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hemp seeds contain 174 calories per 3 tbsp., with 13.5 g of fat, 11 g of protein and only 2 g of carbohydrates. In the book "Eat Right for Life," author Raymond A. Schep notes that hemp seeds contain up to 24 percent protein, including all eight essential amino acids. Hemp seeds are high in calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sulfur and copper. They contain a balance of essential omega fatty acids, with half the amount of omega-3s to omega-6s

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/328951-nutritional-value-of-hemp-seeds/#ixzz2KnK19jxe

Spirulina has a special form of protein that may be helpful for some. Pitchford writes that those who have eaten too much animal protein or processed foods will benefit from the purity of spirulina protein. Spirulina protein is low in calories. There are 3.9 calories per gram of protein found in spirulina, which can be compared to 65 calories per gram of protein in beef.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/360549-nutrition-value-of-spirulina/#ixzz2KnKRfKI1
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Meat.

Quick/easy snacks = Beef Jerky or a can of tuna.

LOVE jerky!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Eat more meat/fish than you currently are. Easiest and most obvious choice to me.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    RAW meal replacement beyond organic, vanilla... I have 1 scoop of it with instant coffee, and 1/2 cup of almond milk and a dash of cinnamon for breakfast and lunch M-F... Single healthiest 'food' I've ever found. You can buy a 2.5lb container or it on ebay for like $35... It will last me about 3 weeks since I just do 1 scoop per meal instead of 2. It is basically just a ton of dried, ground fruits, vegetables, seeds and beans. It's all 100% vegan, soy, and gluten free as well and organic.

fair warning though it tastes very 'healthy' It is definitely just a taste I tolerate rather than like... but if you blend it with some fruit or stevia it helps out the taste a lot. 17 grams of plant protein per scoop, plus I think like 7 grams of fiber per scoop too.
  • goody2shews
    goody2shews Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Arbonne protein shakes? They're vegan: pea, cranbery and rice protein. I'm not a consultant but, I'm sure you could find one. I buy off of their website through a friend that is if you can't find anyone and want to try.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Cliff and Luna bars are all vegan and provide a good source of protein.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    1) It's awesome you lift and play hockey

2) Is there any reason you can't eat meat?

I do eat meat - but I never seem to eat meat at lunch (I am not into eating cold cuts, and usually just bring leftovers for lunch) but even with the meat I eat, I never seem to get enough protein.

Can you eat this?

http://www.sunwarrior.com/

If you eat meat and are still falling short on your protein requirements you could try this. It's vegan and I've had it before. The taste is alright.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Chicken, tuna, lean beef, lean pork. I cook a large batch of chicken on the weekend and use it for lunches through the week. You could do the same with a beef or pork roast. My lunches this week are from a recipe I got on the boards: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/806833-chicken-black-bean-bake?hl=chicken+black+bean+bake

Just leave off the cheese. I add a serving of rice and it's perfect for lunch.

Thanks for the idea! I have tons of dried beans sitting in my pantry and have been looking for new recipes to use them in :)

Lentils are a terrific source of protein as well and go great as a substitute for rice, pasta or grains in general.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat (I'm a pescatarian)
    I'm allergic to soy, whey, tree nuts.

I use Hemp Pro 70 protein powder.

They have protein from peas, pumpkin too.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Can you eat soy? Dry roasted edamame has as much protien as meat.
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I found a protein called Natures Whey if you are looking for the shakes

I am a vegan and eat tofu, tempeh, lentils and beans.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I get the individual packs of tuna in water and keep them at work, in case I don't have time to cook something.

Also: salmon is great!

AND I like making burger patties out of ground turkey. I add Cavender's Greek seasoning and then cook them on a cast iron grill pan. (I add cranberries and top with a little shredded cheddar, but you said you don't do well with those.) The patties make a great dinner, but I love taking them as leftovers the next day for lunch. Cook good dinners so you have good protein-rich leftovers!

Good luck!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Use quinoa instead of rice...has more protein. Someone mentioned CLIF bars...love them! They are a decent protein source, but a little high in carbs for some people.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    With regards to Protein Supplementation (i.e. Protein Shakes, etc). Here are my favorites for those with multiple food sensitivities. I am in the same boat with regards to food sensitivities. These are my go to

* Hemp - Nutiva has a great product. Vegan/Veg and certified organic. Their chocolate is excellent esp mixed with Almond or Coconut milk. I love their Plain when using it with fresh fruit. . 15g of Protein per serving and many of its carbs are fiber.

https://store.nutiva.com/hempshake/

* PlantFusion - Vegan/Veg, Low Carb, 21-22g of Protein per serving (one of the highest I have found that compairs to the animal based) I typically add hemp oil or coconut oil to up my good fats relative to my macro requirements.

http://plantfusion.net/products.html

* Garden of Life - RAW Protein - Raw and Vegan/Veg, 17g of Protein per serving.

http://www.gardenoflife.com/Products-for-Life/Foundational-Nutrition/RAW-Protein.aspx

*LifeTime - Life's Basics - Vegan/Veg

http://www.lifetimevitamins.com/products/lifetime_plantprotein.html

There are more out there but these are my go to favorites. I usually use one for breakfast and sometimes one after a good workout to recover and help meet my macros.

Hope that helped.
  • mbouf94
    mbouf94 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Arbonne protein shakes? They're vegan: pea, cranbery and rice protein. I'm not a consultant but, I'm sure you could find one. I buy off of their website through a friend that is if you can't find anyone and want to try.

Yes, I am an Arbonne customer actually :-) I was using Arbonne shakes but then I ran out and went to Natural Food Pantry and bought Progressive Harmonized Vegan Protein Powder which is a bit cheaper. Only issue is, I loved drinking Arbonne plain with just water and I don't like drinking the Progressive brand plain with just water so I may purchase another bag of Arbonne.
  • mbouf94
    Options
    Cliff and Luna bars are all vegan and provide a good source of protein.

I love Luna Bars :-)
  • mbouf94
    Options
    Use quinoa instead of rice...has more protein. Someone mentioned CLIF bars...love them! They are a decent protein source, but a little high in carbs for some people.

I'm okay with high levels of carbs - and I definitely love quinoa! Have to start cooking it more, I tend to only make it 3 or 4 times a month.
  • Elizabeth360
    Elizabeth360 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm in your shoes! I can handle some natural cheeses, Greek yogurt, and cottage cheese, though, so I use those a lot for snacks. It might be worth taking lactase tablets with some dairy if it sits well with you. The best protein powder I've found is Vega Sport but I don't enjoy having a full shake everyday. Instead I use little protein shots that go down well either because they are small or because the protein is in the right combination for me. I use Six Star brand from CVS (get the ones that look like energy shots, NOT the ones that look like test tubes) or Hormel Protein Double Shots. Each has 24-26g protein and about 100 calories. They aren't the tastiest, but have been a lifesaver for me!
  • fluffy925
    fluffy925 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds have more protein per weight than meat. For recipes go to

https://pinterest.com/quicksli/chia-seeds-and-recipes/
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Have a slow cooker? Every Sunday I make protein packed soups or stews in my slow cooker and parse them out into 3-4 servings in my fridge for lunches during the week.

I make things like barley/lentil soup, bean and kale, southwestern chicken and white bean. They are loaded in protein, pretty low cal, and keep me full for hours. All I have to do is grab a dish out of the fridge in the morning and heat it up in the microwave at work.