I thought I was supposed to be getting SMALLER?!

Options
1235»

Replies

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Muscles weighs more than fat...and when you build muscle you start to speed up your metabolism.
    Keep it up I'm sure it will turn around.

No.. Muscle and fat "weigh" the same... a pound is a pound is a pound....

I don't understand why people say that muscle and fat weight the same. You can say that pound of gold weighs the same as a pound of marshmallows, but when I say that gold weighs more than marshmallows aren't I implicitly saying per given volume, ie a pint/quart of gold weighs more that a pint of marshmallows. Doesn't a pint of muscle weigh more that a pint of fat?

Weight is universally the same. A pound of fat and a pound of muscle weigh the same...one pound! Muscle is more dense than fat, meaning one pound of muscle takes up less space (or volume) than one pound of fat. Just as rocks are more dense than feathers.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    ANY muscle that is exposed to exercise will increase in size slightly because of water/glycogen retention. If you're overweight and your arm look more "bulky" (most people really have no idea what this term actually means) it's because the muscle you've exercised and now is retaining more water/glycogen is pushing up against the fat.
    If body fat in the area reduces, then a more muscular definition will appear (this DOE NOT MEAN one built more muscle).

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^ this!! Do NOT listen to the people who are saying to lift lighter for more reps. Your muscles are only bigger from water and glycogen retention. I have lost 30lbs, my arms look "bigger" but they are actually now 3 inches smaller, just more defined due to a lower bf%. Trust me and the experts, keep at it and it's improve.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Yep, I noticed the same about my arms lately, I am losing weight, my arms got smaller but not as small as I would like because I think I am focussing too much weightlifting on my arms. I usually do 8 different weight lifting exercises, 3 sets of 25 reps each. About 5 of those exercises are for arms and the others are legs and abs.
  • joolson45
    joolson45 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just feel that the whole thing is a process... we didnt get the way we are overnight and we will not get the body we want overnight. Your body is changing... trust it.. trust the process... and try to focus on the positives along the way... inches lost? clothes fitting better...more energy...etc
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Maybe try higher reps with a lower weight for a while so you're burning fat and building muscle at the same time? Then switch to lifting heavy once you're comfortable again? I'm no expert though... actually, I'm just making this up, but it makes sense in my head?

NO

Haha - thanks. I just lift as heavy as I can... but I don't have comfort issues. OP - ignore my ignorance!