Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

HRM?

I'm thinking of getting one. Not necessarily for measuring optimal HR zone but for overall calorie burn.

I don't want a chest band type. I want to be able to monitor 24 hour caloried burn. I don't want to have to pay a monthly fee to see and monitor my results.

The ones I've seen are
Fitbit
Bodymedia ($$$ plus monthly fee)
Various ones at the local sports store.
Sportline (@ Walmart) $39

Any recommendations ?

Replies

• FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    fitbit.

You can get the fitbit One for 91.95 (the sale ended), free shipping on heartratemonitorsusa.com using the code HEART8. :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I'm thinking of getting one. Not necessarily for measuring optimal HR zone but for overall calorie burn.

I don't want a chest band type. I want to be able to monitor 24 hour caloried burn. I don't want to have to pay a monthly fee to see and monitor my results.

The ones I've seen are
    Fitbit
    Bodymedia ($$$ plus monthly fee)
    Various ones at the local sports store.
    Sportline (@ Walmart) $39

Any recommendations ?

HRM's will only be accurate during steady state cardio when your HR is elevated, other than that useless for all day burns.
    So you need to decide between the
    Fitbit, Bodymedia, or Bodybugg, for what you want it to do.
  • ventrone
    ventrone Posts: 27 Member
    Love my fitbit! I have never regretted having it. I don't know much about the others.
  • ww1900
    ww1900 Posts: 11 Member
    I think you'd need two types if you want to get a close measure of daily calories burned. One for regular walking/moving around like fitbit (which detects movements, not heart rate), and one for your cardio workouts (a real heart rate monitor).

The Mio Alpha ($200) is a strapless continuous hrm, and omron has the HR-500U ($150). The other strapless watch heart rate monitors aren't continuous, you take measurements when you want, so they can't really figure out calories burned during workouts.
  • dotknott
    dotknott Posts: 88 Member
    What you're looking for sounds like an activity monitor, not a HRM. While I personally don't have any experience with them I have read good reviews on the fitbit, but the Nike Fuel Band and the Jawbone Up also are worth looking into.

Just keep in mind that you're not actually looking for an HRM, that would be the chest band that you specifically stated you don't want. Out of curiosity, why do you want to track your non-workout life and not specifically your exercise? Tracking your exercise productivity (via heart rate) seems like a great way to track workout improvement.