Is there such a thing as too much water?

Options
We've all heard that one of the best things you can do for your body, dieting or not, is to drink more water. I've been making a concious effort to drink more and keep track of it in my diary every day. I have a Camelbak at my desk at work that holds 24 oz., and I typically drink three full bottles in the morning and maybe 1 or 1 1/2 in the afternoon. Besides the OMG-I-have-to-get-to-the-bathroom-right-this-second-or-I-will-burst feeling that you will inevitably feel every 20 minutes... is there a downside to drinking too much water... or is there such a thing as too much?

Replies

• erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can drink too much water. It is called water intoxication and can be fatal. BUT, it is rather hard to get there. Too much of anything can still be a bad thing :)
  • tinabatinaflc
    Options
    It is pretty difficult to drink too much water. Rapid water drinking is also less effective because it passed through your body without a chance to be absorbed quite as well. healthy kidneys are able to excrete about 1 liter of fluid per hour (about 34 ounces). So, technically you could drink 34 ounces of water an hour as long as you are healthy and not physically exerting yourself, without dropping dead. I think your consumption of water is just fine...if not ideal! :bigsmile:
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Not really unless you have congestive heart failure, or renal disease