uncle ben insant brown rice...good or bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Rice is a staple in the diets of many of the healthiest cultures. Much of the world would starve without rice. We get into trouble because we put food loaded with calories on top of rice to make a meal.
    Yep. Pouring on gravy, a pound of meat and vegetables, adding butter etc, and then rice is blamed for the weight gain.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    Yep, millions of Asians are overweight and health stricken because of white rice:laugh: .......................................while brown rice will pack a little more magnesium and selenium and fiber, white rice isn't the devil that many make it out to be. I'll pick white rice over brown rice anyday.............especially when eating sushi.

IDEA Fitness member

hahaha, they are not overweight because they do not eat 10 servings in one sitting like Americans do. they actually eat the proper amount of food.
    Yep. And are conscious about portion size most of the time.

IDEA Fitness member
  • mcknjack
    Options
    I finally got the proper proportions to cook brown rice in my rice cooker and will never go back to white rice. This is much to my kids chagrin, but they will learn to love it eventually :)
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I've heard Uncle Ben's converted (non-instant) rice, which is parboiled, keeps more of the nutrients and has a lower glycemic index than just plain white. It has a glycemic index of 44 while brown has an index of 55 and short grain rice clocks in at 72.

Worth considering.
  • justicekenny
    Options
    yup yup ... just had two cups of white rice as a matter of fact ... so good lol
    Yep, millions of Asians are overweight and health stricken because of white rice:laugh: .......................................while brown rice will pack a little more magnesium and selenium and fiber, white rice isn't the devil that many make it out to be. I'll pick white rice over brown rice anyday.............especially when eating sushi.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

hahaha, they are not overweight because they do not eat 10 servings in one sitting like Americans do. they actually eat the proper amount of food.
    What they say. I am a white rice girl all the way. I do use a rice cooker and Calrose brand rice
  • smiling_sushi
    smiling_sushi Posts: 46 Member
    Options

I own this rice cooker too and it is the easiest thing ever to use. Chuck in some rice, fill to the appropriate line with water, push the switch, and it will automatically turn off when it's done. I haven't used Uncle Ben rice myself, but I'm willing to bet that a bag of normal brown rice is cheaper.