Self tanning lotion

Options
Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
Does anyone use a good a good self tanning lotion or know of any? I mean not looking orange, not streaky? I need some color and I used to go tanning but just by tanning once...your chance of getting skin cancer goes up 75%..SEVENTY FIVE PERCENT! I'm pretty sure I have cancer. And the sad thing is that I want to be tan..that I'm actually thinking of going into a tanning bed! Whats wrong with me!?
So if anyone knows of any good lotions available in the U.S and that isnt extremley expensive I would like to hear.

Thanks peeps! <3

Replies

• Mickey73
    Mickey73 Posts: 19
    Options
    You look Beautiful without the tan..... Perserve your skin and limit your sun outside to 20 to 30mins a day. Sunlight is good for you but not to much. I think natural skin tone is more beautiful. Make sure you wear sunscreen. Also when we get older we will still have the beautiful skin and less wrinkles. Make sure you keep up with your skin checks.

:happy:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, I don't tan well... I'm pale, I burn easy, I've never liked tanning beds much. When I've "NEEDED" a tan (like for my daughter's wedding at the Beach while wearing a strapless dress) I went for a spray tan. In my area it cost me less than 10$ and lasted about a week. In the past I'd tried those self tanning lotions and they were fairly expensive and as you said, looked streaky or orangish. My daughter also gets spray tans about once every 2 weeks - she likes the tan look and doesn't want the skin cancer problems and always looks great.

(Suggestion: when they are spraying you, be sure you hold up your boobs or wear a super supportive bra or the bikini top you intend to wear if you plan on being seen in public... otherwise you'll have white shadows underneath!!)

oldboobs.jpg
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Consider researching color analysis. It was popular in the 80's and 90's . Color Me Beautiful is the name of a book.

The idea is that if we wear our "right" colors, our skin tone mellows and the tiny imperfections are less noticible. (redness disappears etc.). If you can be happy with your skin as is, you won't feel the need to be tan.

D
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Going tanning once your chances of getting cancer goes up 75%!!!! OMG then I should already be dead or had cancer years years years years ago!!!!!!!!........LOL!
  • Rugbychick16
    Rugbychick16 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I use the coppertone lotion with the 2 sides to it. I love it. Also Bonne Bell makes a nice face bronzing powder with a hint of shimmer.

On a side note, I just want to say I'm so happy to hear that some people are deciding to skip the tanning bed this year - last year I had a spot removed that was melanoma, and now I go to the cancer clinic every 6 months. I try and spread the word of not tanning and using sunscreen, but you know how it goes - it "won't happen" to them....
  • aweightogo
    Options
    I am VERY fair and don't tan. I use Jergen's Natural Glow lotion. Because I am so fair, one application works for me and lasts about 4 days. (of course, if you spend a lot of time in the water, that will lessen) It's not orange or streaky on me. For most people, you have to build up a tan through multiple applications over several days. It's pretty reasonable, too. It was about $7 dollars for a bottle that will proably last me 2 or 3 months.
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have tried the Coppertone sunless tanning lotion and the Mary Kay Sunless tanner. I love the results I got with the Mary Kay one better than the Coppertone brand. I recommend buffing really well before applying and also mixing it with lotion when applying around your elbows and knees. They tend to grab color faster! Also, make sure to wash your hands really well when you are done applying or you will get orange around your knuckles and inbetween your fingers. :-)
    Good luck!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I use Ocean Potion Lotion. Their sunless tanning lotion is called "Ever Glow", I believe. Not only does it change your skin tone gradually, by just slight shades daily (with daily use), but it smells yummy.

EDIT: I should say, "I use Ocean Potion Ever Glow Lotion" when I'm not being lazy and applying lotion or tanning lotions to myself. I've had my bottle for two years. I'm super lazy. :tongue:
  • JJRunning
    JJRunning Posts: 146
    Options
    I was thinking that same thing this morning! I used to tan a lot when I was in college, but now I'm scared of getting skin cancer or (gasp) WRINKLES!!! I've used Clinique in the past and it was great, but I've read reviews on the web site noting their new formula isn't as good as the old one. I also used Jergens before and it was good too. Let me know if you try any!
  • sherdou
    sherdou Posts: 4
    Options
    Know the feeling about being "fair".
    I've tried the Jergen's brand and just purchased the Coppertone. Hoping to NOT be orange or streaky. Helps to apply after shower and shaving legs.

Wanting to stay out of the tanning bed.

Good luck with your self tanner!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Unfortunate for people with my skin tone, but a nice tan does tend to make people look thinner, accentuate muscle tone and disguise cellulite. After all, there is a reason fitness models often look freakishly tan. Unfortunately, I don't tan and I'm too freaked out about skin cancer to try much more.

I have seen some pretty good professional spray tans and some pretty orange ones, so I guess even that can depend. I'd love to hear what products people use.
  • JJRunning
    JJRunning Posts: 146
    Options
    P.S. I also heard Bath and Body Works has a good one, but I've never tried it myself. I may look into that one... I'll let you know!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I don't use any tanning lotions nor have I ever 'tanned'...I'm extreamly fair skinned. I use an spf of at least 65 everyday (all over-face included). I'd rather be cancer and pretty wrinkle free when I'm 80 than to die of skin cancer at 45. Also, I'm Goth and being pale is important to be with that respect.
    I understand the wanting to be tanned...but you need to love yourself for who you are. There is no reason to slather on a lotion just so you darken up a bit.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I found a great organic based tanning lotion at target called Lavera. I was unsure because its organic that the quality might be compromised a little. It's the BEST self tanner I've ever used!!! It goes on little by little so you won't be orange overnight - similar to Jergens natural glow and those types of products. It's VERY natural looking. I use it about one a week on my body and maybe 3 times a week on my face (I wear stronger spf on my face daily). I HIGHLY recommend it!!!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I used to tan a lot when I was in college, but now I'm scared of getting skin cancer or (gasp) WRINKLES!!!

I never did tan in college but I was looking at my face up close in the mirror the other day and noticed all kinds of "freckles" that hadn't been there last year. My first thought was "Oh no! Pre-wrinkles!" Funny that I used to think my freckles were cute and now I just look at them and see sun damage.
  • nsking83
    nsking83 Posts: 145
    Options
    Try using the Neutrogena one - it's a sunless tanning spray as opposed to a lotion, so you won't streak. I've tried lotions before and the spray is a million times better - the only thing to remember is to exfoliate good about 1-2x per week so it doesn't build up on your dry skin.

It's super easy to use and you see color pretty quick. Good luck! :blushing: <<-- that's a person getting tan, lol!
  • christieb143102
    christieb143102 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use: L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Lotion. There is one kind with a hint of sparkle, that doesn't really bother me. But may others. I usually put it at night, then shower the next morning. You'll still have a colorful glow but without the "smell." Works wonders for me in the winter. I do not, however use it on my face. I opt for a tinted moisturizer, with a splash of bronze...
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Please do not laugh about or minimize the possible negative consequences of the the sun or tanning beds. It is all too real. My ex passed away from melanoma less than 2 years ago leaving two 14 year old girls without a father. Please play it safe!
  • gennyvieve
    Options
    i like the nivea gradual tanner---it's also a "firming" lotion, so i'm hoping it will make me a little less jiggly over time*grin* basically it just makes me look less pasty---i'm irish, meaning i'm not just white--i'm see-thru, but i don't believe in tanning beds, and when i go outside i wear spf70, so i need all the help i can get to get a little glow going.
  • VictorianJade
    VictorianJade Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Mary Kay sells a really nice gradual tanner. The first few days it just feels like a lotion. No real colour at all, but then it slowly builds. Not orange in the least.

I'm irridescently (sp?) white... I glow, on the beach... so I tend to use this product in the summertime.