Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Free Foods?

Many years ago, back when I was young and all I had to do to lose weight was cut back a little on calories and walk/run and do situps. So I would keep track of calories, on paper (gasp!) because computers hadn't evolved past using the cards with holes in them and taking up a whole floor at the local university :laugh:. The only things I kept track of were concentrated calories such as: sugar, potatoes/rice/bread, fats, proteins, etc. Basically, if it was green and it almost took as much energy to chew it as there were calories in it... I didn't count it. It was free food.

That accomplished a couple of things... I ate a hella lot veggies, I was really regular, and my body got lots of vitamins.

Any one else do that? I'm thinking since I'm working hard on the nutrition thing, and getting enough calories to keep my metab up without going way over, and not staying hungry all the time, it would be a good way to make sure I'm getting enough of the right stuff.

Replies

• sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    I think celery is considered a free food.
  • whitmars106
    whitmars106 Posts: 118 Member
    I'm at a place now where if it goes in my mouth, I log it. I sure hope pervs don't troll that comment. LOL
  • sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    There is no free food or food with "negative calories." It's great to eat a lot of veggies, but they do have calories.
  • I also think celery is a free food. I will give it all away for free! haha I like WW's approachish. Fruits and veggies are generally "free" foods. I wish bacon was a free food. *sigh* Veggies and me....we just don't get along.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    I still count all the veggies. But you will be pleasantly surprise and just how much of them you can eat before it makes an impact on your daily totals.

I like to track the macros and micro nutrients, so I add it all.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Everything but water and air has some calories. Log them all. If you start tracking macros you'll need the information on nutrients as well.
  • I'm at a place now where if it goes in my mouth, I log it. I sure hope pervs don't troll that comment. LOL

Another thing I learned from WW and I try to think it every day. "You bite it, you write it."
  • EmHorn4
    EmHorn4 Posts: 72 Member
    I have done that in the past, but now with MFP, I log it. Yeah, they are low in cals, but there are still cals. I had a side of broccoli last night, and I found that a) a cup of broccoli is 54 calories. b) I totally rocked my fiber intake for the day c) I was able to count this towards my "good" carbs for the day.

It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you don't look at the macronutrients, then it doesn't matter all that much. If you want to be sure you aren't going way over on carbs, no matter where they come, you might want to track them. I like to track so I can see my good habits over time if I look back through my diary :smile:
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    There is no free food or food with "negative calories." It's great to eat a lot of veggies, but they do have calories.

Agreed.

Also OP eating many meals isn't going to rev up your metabolism.

Stay in a calorie deficit. That's all there is to it.
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    I don't log celery. But.. I keep stalks cleaned and cut in bite size pieces and nibble on them while in the kitchen preparing food. I don't count that food prep as exercise either. If I took a bag and sat and at it as a snack at work-then I would log it.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    I'm at a place now where if it goes in my mouth, I log it. I sure hope pervs don't troll that comment. LOL

hehehe

But seriously, This.
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    I think celery is considered a free food.

Only for those who might consider celery to actually be a food...
  • katnord
    katnord Posts: 44 Member
    I count everything too, but I like to see how much food I can get in my food log before I meet my calorie goal for the day. It's like a little game to play that increases the amount of fruits and veggies I eat, as I'm looking for more low calorie/high volume foods.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    I think you can log whatever you want, really. With a whole cup of spinach only having 5 calories, you'd have to eat a bucket full for it to make a difference.

I personally log all of my veggies but I think it's a personal preference. Eventually I plan on weaning myself off MFP and so setting some healthy ground rules for later on when/if you cut the umbilical cord, is perfectly fine.

You're going to get advice going either way. It's ultimately a choice you have to make for yourself keeping your personal lifestyle and goals in mind.