What was your "I need to change" moment

Options

Replies

• rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    It's all in my blog. I just hit the one year mark in making lifestyle changes

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/rascallycat
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I actually had many-and many false starts-before this time around. But this time I'm making real, long-term changes, and changing my eating habits, which I've never done before. This time I'm not quitting.
  • Shelialouise66
    Options
    The 30 - 50 year olds, I take care of that have high blood pressure, diabetes, heart attacks, then open heart surgery. That was enough for me and I seeing them way too often.
  • quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    And then there was the picture of my bathing suit with my fat rolls on MY BACK..... POSTED ON FACEBOOK....

Wow! Time to look for the "unfriend" button on that one.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    After getting separated the end of 2011 I tried getting back in to dating a few months later. It became pretty clear women aren't really interested in guys that are 290lbs. The last straw was when I approached a girl one night while I was out and she turned around and walked away without saying anything. I'm 225ish now and things are finally starting to improve. So much for personality counting I guess.

Personality counts, but so do looks. Would you have approached that girl if you had not found her attractive? It goes both ways.
  • fedgal
    fedgal Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Visiting a friend at the rehab center after her stroke. She is obese, has high blood pressure, smoked cigarettes and has diabetes. The only thing I have on the list is obesity so I decided to get some control over the situation.
  • Nu_Primal_Me
    Nu_Primal_Me Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My Mother died at the age of 56 this summer. She died due to heart complications, she was morbidly obese. Initially, she was having an asthma attack and as the paramedics got her breathing under control, her heart stopped. My world crumbled...

Then I took a good long look at myself and my family history and I knew that if I didn't get serious and change the way I view my health, I could easily be her...twice, my Mother has given me the gift of life...my birth, and sadly, my lesson in her death that life is a gift and never guaranteed and if we don't treat our physical bodies as the sacred thing they are, we are throwing te gift away.
  • SkyFerret
    SkyFerret Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    When I saw the pictures from my honeymoon of flabby thighs and too many chins. My husband and I looked at each other, had a "Yaar, there be the white wale!" and "Man the harpoons!" moment, and planned our diet and exercise regimines that very day. We discovered MFP about a year, and 30 lbs each, later and haven't looked back.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My I need to change moment was in mid Oct 2012 when I got some blood work done and it was REALLY bad...high Triglycerides, high cholesterol...low HDL...pre-diabetic blood sugar levels...borderline obese...hypertensive...basically all the earmarks of full blown metabolic syndrom.

I'm doing this primarily for my overall health and well being...but looking better and upping my fitness level is a nice bi-product.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I stepped on the scale on my 25th birthday, weighing in at 200 pounds, and put on a size 14 dress that barely fit. I got to work and couldn't walk up the two flights of stairs, and had to take my heels off after 2 hours because my ankles and feet couldn't support me. I had just wanted to dress up a bit for my birthday, but realized that I looked and felt terrible.

I decided I didn't want to be anywhere close to that weight/size/shape on my 26th birthday, and lost 50 pounds that first year, mainly through the elliptical and running (5 minutes at a time for the first few sessions).
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Couldn't fit into my Size 4 shorts anymore, then nearly simultaneously I noticed I was feeling weak/sick too often and my fridge had too many pizza boxes in it = crap diet. Turned all that around so far :D
  • alednnz
    Options
    I was barely able to enjoy my honeymoon this last december after being married for almost 4 years, i wish i didn't wait so long since I gained almost 50 lbs since my wedding day ... so the pictures made it
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Hitting the scale at nearly 280lbs. Went to the doc, my BP was getting high, I couldn't carry a load of laundry from the basement to the 2nd floor bedroom without my heart rate going up and puffing for air. With a family history of heart disease, diabetes in my Dad, I decided it was time to change. Bought an elliptical since my knees couldn't take the pounding of trying to run (I had no problem walking for miles with my dogs but running was out of the question). Changed my diet to eliminate all the crap- pizza, pasta, bread, etc. Cut down my portions of everything else. 6 months later, 225lbs, feeling a lot better. 6 months later, I'm around 230 and have renewed my quest to get healthy and my new goal is to hit 200lbs, which I havent' seen since my 20's.
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Looked in the mirror and started to see the beginning of a Double Chin appear.. Crap
  • srenea9
    srenea9 Posts: 142
    Options
    Mine was because all of my jeans were getting too tight, and I refused to buy a bigger size when I have a millions smaller sizes. & I noticed my arm jiggled too much. I rarely wanted to go out of the house, I didn't want people to look at me.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Realizing that if I couldn't find the motivation to lose weight for my wedding (which I would have pictures of FOREVER), then I never would be able to!

Ended up losing 30 lbs and having to get my wedding dress taken in twice before the big day! So glad I did it! I still have to work at it every day to keep it off, but it's worth it!
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    When I climbed a flight of stairs to go to a meeting. I was sweating and had to stop at the top of the stairs to catch my breath before I could keep walking to the meeting. My co-workers politely waited for me but I felt so embarrassed......
  • whitmars106
    whitmars106 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I didn't have an "AHA moment", as I've known for quite some time I needed to get my weight and health under control, but when I weighed myself and I was 2 lbs. away from being a number I never thought I'd be (not that the number on the scale was any more ideal). I just knew it was now or never. If I continued doing what I was, in another 10 years, I'd be another 100 lbs. heavier.
  • cllgeplz
    cllgeplz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    May I just say that I pride myself on being real with myself about body image. I know what I look like, I know my strengths and faults, and I may need a few pounds gone, but carry myself like a Victoria Secret supermodel. That being said, here's my wake up call.
    Sophomore year I threw both my knees, my hip, and my shoulder in volleyball, so I could no longer exercise like I wanted. Senior year of high school I went on a two day hike with my church group; I walked about 13 miles each way. I had to wrap both my knees and ankles, and still limped to the finish. I felt horrible about myself, and about my body's inability to let me live my life. I'm eighteen and I can't even WALK a marathon. And then I saw the pictures. I looked even worse than I felt. I couldn't stop crying as I looked through all the pictures of me with my arm over my eyes and ice on my knees, holding my group back. I was a mess, a burden to those I love. And then the candid of me arriving at the finish. My body looking bloated and sagging, and the cellulite was clearly visible through my pants. I looked miserable. That was my moment of clarity. My life needed drastic altering, and I was the only one who could change it. That was six months ago, and I've lost 20 pounds. I don't plan on stopping any time soon. I want to see what this body can do, and how I'm SUPPOSED to look! :)
  • Routerninja
    Options
    My daughter asking me if I was going to die because of how fat I was, and telling me it made her sad that I couldn't go outside and play with her longer than a few minutes.

Realizing I am going to miss all the big events in my kids lives that my dad missed in mine unless I made some serious changes.

Looking in the mirror after the doctor told me I weighed 602 pounds and realized I was, in fact, eating myself to death out of the depression of losing a child.