Cardio and Strength

Options
I usually go to the gym for a half an hour to an hour. I mostly just do the treadmill, bike, stairs, elyptical, etc. Sometimes I do strength training and weights but not often. How often should I do strength training? Is that enough time at the gym to make a difference if im going 4-5 times a week.

Replies

• farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You can do a full body weight training session up to 3 times per week. Full body would encompass lower body (squat), back (pull ups, pull downs, rows) , chest (bench press, push up, dips), and shoulders (military/shoulder press). You can do cardio on the off days.

To make a difference you'll probably need to lift in the hypertrophy (muscle building) range, like 4 sets of 7-9 or 10 repetitions or lift in the strength building range, like 5 sets of 4 - 6 repetitions. While some people recommend a 3 sets of 15 or 20 repetitions, I don't think that really does you much good. After you get in a full body workout Then you can work on vanity muscles like biceps, triceps, calves, etc. New Rules of Lifting is an excellent learning source.

I am not a split routine person so I can't address that process very well but it would involve lower body one day, upper body the next day, repeat.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 or NROLFW
    3x week
    45 minutes/ workout
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    While some people recommend a 3 sets of 15 or 20 repetitions, I don't think that really does you much good.

Question about this: I usually do weight machines, not free weights yet, but I'll do a fairly high weight for me and do about 50 reps all together. Is that not effective? Should I do as much weight as I can manage and more sets of fewer reps?
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym for 45-90 minutes 4 days a week minimum. I have a 10 minute walk there to warm up for my warm up, then I do the nerdfitness bodyweight circuit as a cardio warm up for about 10 more minutes.

Overhead Press Day (90 minutes) , Squats Day (60-75 minutes), Bench Press Day (45-60 minutes), Deadlift Day (45-60 minutes)

In the spring I will add a short run and a long run to each week cause I can't reach full wingspan on a treadmill comfortably.

(ETA - this doesn't include any cardio I am working on in preparation for a race)
  • KaseyC0711
    Options
    Check out Jamie Eason's Live fit program... (bodybuilding.com) Her strength training exercises are easy to follow. If you aren't comfortable doing some of the exercises she suggests, you can always modify her routine to better serve you. Her meal plan is great too!! I've seen some decent results and I've been following the program for almost four weeks now. Although now I've decided to change it up a little to better suit my needs, she gives you a good base to start with. :)

I used to do a lot of cardio before I started her program, but she actually wants you to focus more on strength training for the first phase of her program. I think you'll like it if you try it!
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    While some people recommend a 3 sets of 15 or 20 repetitions, I don't think that really does you much good.

Question about this: I usually do weight machines, not free weights yet, but I'll do a fairly high weight for me and do about 50 reps all together. Is that not effective? Should I do as much weight as I can manage and more sets of fewer reps?

Generally you are going to do more for strength building by doing more sets and fewer reps. You need to make your muscles work in order to make them grow or get stronger. As to the amount of weight, you should lift enough to really have to work on the last set. So change your 50 reps into five sets of five one time and next time do four sets of eight.. Variety in weight lifting is good.