Muscle soreness after 30 Day Shred!

2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    My question is why would Jillian have pushups done 30 consecutive days in a row?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    i'm not sure what the effects of creatine are on women, it works really well for me, i find recovery rate is up a noticable amount since using it, as well as increased reps per set, might be an idea to have a read up and see if it's for you, imo it's a very good supplement, and not even a shred of evidence it has draw backs

and considering at my size i only need a teaspoon a day it's easy to keep on top of
  • crabbok
    crabbok Posts: 66 Member
    Doing the exact same exercises everyday sounds ridiculous. I'd assuming she is having you do light intensity workouts? Pushing the exact same muscle groups to failure every day is begging for injury and poor form.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Just remember that working out doesn't make you stronger. Recovery AFTER working out is when you get stronger, so don't short-change yourself on recovery days.
  • ladybuggprincess99
    ladybuggprincess99 Posts: 142 Member
    Jillian is evil. I think the reason she claims you'll get such wonderful results / weight loss from 30DS is because after the first day you're so sore that you can't even crawl to the refrigerator. :wink:

Hilarious!
  • justdance06
    justdance06 Posts: 23 Member
    Just to clarify, the 30 Day Shred is a circuit program of three 22-minute programs of varying intensity. You are supposed to spend 10 days on each level before progressing to the next one. Level 1 includes pushups, but it's not like you do pushups the whole time - probably around 2 minutes total. I'm not sure if Levels 2 and 3 also include pushups.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    I take every 6th day off.
    I was very sore at first, in fact, it was hard to take my shirt off! But I got stronger quickly!
    I just took ibuprofen and kept going.
    This is not advice, just sharing what I did.
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    I listen to her podcast and she has mentioned that you should always have a rest day, and she recommends only doing Ripped in 30 five days a week. So, I think she has changed her mind since the time when she created 30-Day Shred. I think it would be good to take one or two days off a week. You'll get just as good -- if not better -results.
  • MagicFeather
    MagicFeather Posts: 27 Member
    I'm doing day 30 tomorrow. That means it will have taken me 33 days to finish the 30ds. I took one day off in the beginning due to poor planning and 2 days off in the middle due to being just too sick to work out.

I was pretty sore the first couple of days at the very beginning and then again at the beginning of level 2 and 3 but it always faded and doing 30ds again the next day always helped.

I did it every day as a way of getting myself into the habit of working out every day and to see how my body would look after 1 month of solid commitment (frickin' awesome btw) but if you're already in the habit of working out regularly there's no reason why you couldn't switch up 30ds with cardio only days.

Whatever you choose, as long as you're moving, you're doing it. Good luck! Jillian is a fierce taskmaster.
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    I am on Level 2 of 30ds and according to the groups I am involved in for 30ds it seems most people aren't as sore by day 4-5 and I would recommend taking a rest day. I've taken more than I probably should have and am getting great results so far as far as losing inches goes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    Just to clarify, the 30 Day Shred is a circuit program of three 22-minute programs of varying intensity. You are supposed to spend 10 days on each level before progressing to the next one. Level 1 includes pushups, but it's not like you do pushups the whole time - probably around 2 minutes total. I'm not sure if Levels 2 and 3 also include pushups.
    Still, spending 10 consecutive days in a row doing the same exercises doesn't allow for recovery of that muscle. This is NOT uncommon knowledge in the fitness industry.
    Now I want to see what this program really entails and it's actual instruction..............

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ladybuggprincess99
    ladybuggprincess99 Posts: 142 Member
    I did two days, then I took a rest day. I had to since I could hardly walk, nevermind do anything else.

RIGHT?! I did two days (today SHOULD be day 3), but I have to take a rest. I plan to do yoga and walk instead, then try again tomorrow.