I still think i'm fat, others say I'm thin

Options

Replies

• Ashleyyyb93
    Options
    I am 5ft 10 and 141 lbs and I have the same problem. I struggle to eat alot now...when I look in the mirror I see a big girl but everyone says I either look great or I look too skinny. It's kinda confusing. The weight comes off of the top more and not so much on my legs giving me the illusion that I am alot bigger than I actually am. I don't like it at all. x x x
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    hey, so my whole issue is that i used to way 2010... currently i am 148 and I am 5'10. I know on paper is says that I am average weight. But when i look at myself in the mirior I still think that I am over weight. And i keep pushing myselg to lose more. I''m worried that this might turn into some mental eating disorder. :( what are ways that i can pervent that? any tips?

It's hard to lose 1862 pounds and not have some loose skin that would look like fat. I would just look into plascic surgery to get all that skin removed and you should be good to go.
  • gabriela182
    Options
    I work out 6 times a week. and have little fat on my body. Its just when i look at myself in the mirror i see the person i used to be and not accept who i am now. its hard to see the new me.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I go thru the same thing ppl say wow man ur muscular! I look in the mirror and its like, ok what are u talking about? I just dont see what everyone else see's.

Lol wut? Dude, you are jacked. WTF are you talking about?
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Find out your body fat percentage. You may be skinny fat, which means normal/low BMI but high BF%. People who see you in clothes will think you look thin but when you see yourself naked you can see the problem areas.

And the solution to that is to drop body fat by lifting heavy weights and building muscle :-)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm already starting to get concerned comments from family members about how thin I'm getting but I know perfectly well I have too much fat around my middle still. While I won't be able to get rid of the loose skin I will get rid of the fat under it and I won't stop until it's gone. So I know I'm still fat even though I'm technically in a healthy weight range. I mean, I can grab the fat with my hands. It's there, no denying it.

But there for sure as heck is a lot less of it than there was, and I can see that, too. Being able to see that takes time and effort. Comparison pics help, too.
  • gabriela182
    Options
    My body fat percentage is 19.4
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

In that case definitely sounds like you aren't seeing yourself as you really are. Maybe taking photos will help, comparing them, studying yourself in the mirror, realizing that unlike me you can't grab handfuls of fat cause it isn't there.

I don't know, I hope you can see yourself as you are and enjoy your hard work because it's terrible to think you've come so far and done so well and your brain won't let you see it.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options

In that case definitely sounds like you aren't seeing yourself as you really are. Maybe taking photos will help, comparing them, studying yourself in the mirror, realizing that unlike me you can't grab handfuls of fat cause it isn't there.

I don't know, I hope you can see yourself as you are and enjoy your hard work because it's terrible to think you've come so far and done so well and your brain won't let you see it.

No. I understand. I'm around 18-19% bf. I have TONS I can cut. That's why I'm lifting heavy.

Go lift some weights girl! :smokin:
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I am been overweight since I was 11 and now 38 and only just got most of the weight off after losing 200 pounds. I still need to lose 14 pounds to get to a 25 BMI but I am not using it as a guide. I know I will still look not how I want to look as I was overweight for too long. I averaged out putting on 7 pound a year for 25 years. I get told I am slim but I still have a overhanging stomach. I just have to get used to it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Body dismorphia means you distort the way your body actually looks and you dont see reality. Best cure for that is intesive therapy and improving your relationship with food and exercise.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    It's time to hit the gym and lift heavy!

Definitely! Weights can make you slim and trim without having to starve or become underweight. Plus instead of weight you should be checking your bf% which is what really makes for healthy/attractive body. Since you already realize your feelings of still being overweight are a little unrealistic I'd say you don't need therapy, but I suggest you start practicing some positive reaffirmations to change your negative feelings toward your body. GOOD LUCK
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    hey, so my whole issue is that i used to way 2010... currently i am 148 and I am 5'10. I know on paper is says that I am average weight. But when i look at myself in the mirior I still think that I am over weight. And i keep pushing myselg to lose more. I''m worried that this might turn into some mental eating disorder. :( what are ways that i can pervent that? any tips?

It could be an eating disorder if that's the case you should probably speak to a doctor or psychologist/psychiatrist.

It could also be that you're unhappy with your body composition in which case I would say eat at maintenance and lift heavy.

After a month or so when you see results you'll be able to determine whether you need to continue to eat at maintenance or a moderate deficit.

I would say this is the best advice.
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

I have this problem is well. :( I read in a book titled Intuitive Eating that maybe you need to change your self-talk. Instead of saying "I hate this stomach of mine!', redirect your thinking to a positive aspect of your body that you like, such as "I have a nice smile' or "I have killer legs!". If that doesn't wor, you can look at your body from a functional viewpoint. I try to think to myself "Well I'm lucky that I have a functioning stomach" or "It's nice to have legs that can carry me places".
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Also, you may have swayback. I have it---it's a genetic predisposition that causes your lower spine to curve in, which makes your butt and stomach appear to stick out more. ANd also remember that fat distribution has so much to do with genetics! 175 lbs on two different woman, who are the same age and follow the same workout and diet routine can look very different!
  • gabriela182
    Options
    well your comments, tips and advice has helped guys! I do appreciate it. Thanks :)
  • DaddyCrossfit
    DaddyCrossfit Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Whoa! Stop trying to lose weight! It's hard to tell from your one profile pic, but you look pretty darn perfect to me....and I'm not just being nice. If anything (like so many others already wrote), lift more weights. But again, it's hard to tell from your one pic how tone or squishy you are.
  • Novemayune
    Options
    I think a problem a lot of women have is that the fleshier parts of the body, like the thighs and tummy, are the absolute last places to lose weight. Meanwhile the parts people see everyday, like the face, can end up looking too thin while you're trying to get rid of the weight in those other places. So my advice would be to focus on toning those problem areas rather than cutting calories, and also accept the fact that a flat stomach with a 6-pack is probably unattainable.

^^WSS - switch your cardio mode from weight loss to maintaining weight. Change your calorie goal to maintenance, and then start to focus more on strength training. You will begin to see definition and tone change dramatically. Also, you will need to eat back your expended exercise calories. You will need those calories to help your muscles.

ETA: have you tried to stretch for tip hip flexors? You may now have problems with the way your muslces and tendons interact. Although, I maintain that you should start lifting, and heavy. Give it a month and take measurements starting and ending that month. You should also speak to someone about body dysmorphia. I know I personally don't see what I actually look like when I look in a mirror. A picture, however, does not lie for me. Take some pictures. Do some comparisons with past pictures. And make an appointment with a professional to discuss your concerns. At the very least, you will have sound advice on where you are mentally in your journey. It cannot hurt you to speak with someone about your concerns and they can give you strategies to avoid falling prey to an eating disorder.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I think a problem a lot of women have is that the fleshier parts of the body, like the thighs and tummy, are the absolute last places to lose weight. Meanwhile the parts people see everyday, like the face, can end up looking too thin while you're trying to get rid of the weight in those other places. So my advice would be to focus on toning those problem areas rather than cutting calories, and also accept the fact that a flat stomach with a 6-pack is probably unattainable.

Wait what? Why does having a flat stomach with a 6 pack have to be unattainable? Too many people sell themselves short. Yes it's important to go about reaching your goals in a healthy way, but why can't she have a flat stomach or 6 pack if she wants?

My advice is always to focus on how you feel. If you start feeling tired, run down, hair falling out, less strength, then you're probably not eating enough. Otherwise you're probably okay. Eat to fuel your body, and exercise because you love your body enough to take care of it, not because you hate it and you're trying to change it.

And it might be helpful to have your body fat percentage tested. Weight isn't as reliable an indicator of whether you have more to lose. Women shouldn't go below 14 percent. Up to 24 percent is still considered quite healthy.

I mean it's really hard for most women to have a 6-pack without looking emaciated everywhere else. I know I'd have to starve myself to get one.
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Wait what? Why does having a flat stomach with a 6 pack have to be unattainable? Too many people sell themselves short. Yes it's important to go about reaching your goals in a healthy way, but why can't she have a flat stomach or 6 pack if she wants?

My advice is always to focus on how you feel. If you start feeling tired, run down, hair falling out, less strength, then you're probably not eating enough. Otherwise you're probably okay. Eat to fuel your body, and exercise because you love your body enough to take care of it, not because you hate it and you're trying to change it.

And it might be helpful to have your body fat percentage tested. Weight isn't as reliable an indicator of whether you have more to lose. Women shouldn't go below 14 percent. Up to 24 percent is still considered quite healthy.

I mean it's really hard for most women to have a 6-pack without looking emaciated everywhere else. I know I'd have to starve myself to get one.

I get what you are saying; I guess it has to do with where you are genetically predisposed to store fat. Supposedly for women ab definition is likely to start showing at 18 percent body fat, which is a good safe healthy percentage, and one could even go lower if one wanted, but if you tend to carry fat more in your midsection it could be difficult to get the last bit off without getting too thin. Then it goes back to trusting how healthy you feel instead of trusting your mirror.