I am so nervous for my first weigh in !!

Options
I started my diet a week ago and want to weigh myself weekly..but I am nervous..I guess I am afraid if the numbers don't drop I might get discouraged..Blahhh...How often do others weigh in?

Replies

• Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I used to obsess over it like crazy but I am slowly getting better and trying to just weigh in once a week! Good luck!
  • turbojam_rocks
    turbojam_rocks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Glad to know it will get better with time! Thank-you:smile:
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I try really hard to only weigh once a week...sometimes i even put the scale in a closet so i don't see it every day :o) ... you can drive yourself bonkers seeing even slight up and downs every day...i know, i used to do that, sometimes more than once a day....keep your sanity, dont!!
  • ashmorgstraws
    Options
    I weigh in once a week. I used to be scared too, now I'm better with it. :)
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Why be nervous? A week isn't very long at all.

Whether you see a change or not, just know you have a long way ahead of you.

It's not discouraging, just a fact. Accept the facts and you'll be fine.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Why be nervous? A week isn't very long at all.

Whether you see a change or not, just know you have a long way ahead of you.

It's not discouraging, just a fact. Accept the facts and you'll be fine.
    Bingo.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i have just started to not weigh to weigh daily, for a long time i have been obsessive compulsive with it and would weigh every morning after going to the bathroom (part of my disordered eating habitts which i am also trying to work on and recover from). i now and trying to do a weekly weigh, but some people do every 2 weeks. also, the scale is not always accurate with progress. make sure to take measurements monthly as well, sometimes the scale won't move but you find yourself dropping inches. don't become discouraged if you have not lost, i'm sure you didn't put on weight overnight and it will take some time to lose it. just keep focused on your new lifestyle change, and we are all here for support if you need it. good luck!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    this is a red flag
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    At first I was nervous, but. Now I'm excited to see what number it is going to be this week. Sometimes I don't like the number. But I just try to take the good with the bad.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what the scale says...just this morning I lost a pound brushing my teeth...according to the scale. I'm obsessive about weighing...but I take absolutely no stock in the actual number on the scale...I use it strictly for trending on whether I'm on track or not.

To measure real progress, give it some time and use a tape measure, pictures, and how clothes fit. But NEVER let the scale dictate how you feel. It's really not worth it.

Also, the hardest part of any weight management plan is realizing that results will take time, and more than not...it takes A LOT of time. I know, for me personally, I want to see where I am in July, roughly one year after I started...if I'm not near my current projected goal, then I'll change something...until then...whatevs. I'm here for fun.
  • turbojam_rocks
    turbojam_rocks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank-you all for your advice..I know it takes time to lose the weight..And patience and alot of hard work is the key..I was just curious as to how often to weigh in and was nervous and heard of so many people giving up..I will just take it week by week til I reach my goal ..:smile:
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. As long as you're noticing a downward trend over time, you're doing good. Also take body measurements!
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day, but that's just me. But once you've been at it long enough, you'll know what foods trigger fluctuations. I know I do. Like others have said, take measurements and try not focus to much on what the scale says. It's trends you're looking for, not day to day fluctuations.