Chinese food help!

Once a month, my work group has chinese food. It is a tradition on night's we have to work late. What is a chinese food I could order and not totally derail my counts? I have banked some extra calories, etc for this.

Any ideas would certainly help! Thanks!
Joy

Replies

• sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Try to pick a restaurant chain with calories information available online. Otherwise it's all guesswork anyway. Even, then I'd say eat less that what is served.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Oh this! My husband and I are taking my mom out for dinner tonight and all she wants is Chinese food! There's no real way to guess what your calorie count is going to be as most Chinese food is cooked by hand (at least around here) and totally reliant on the cook's hand that day. I stay away from fried stuff (sorry, no egg rolls or wonton), noodles and heavy sauces. I usually go for broccoli chicken with a little white rice. It's not the fun Chinese food I'm used to, but it helps me from having to hit the gym 3 times tomorrow!
  • My first time actually browsing around on the message boards today.. My FAVORITE chinese food to order is Chow mein.. a lot of places make it in different sauces but at the end of the day its mostly veggies!! I will often get a soup with it as well. If you like to weigh yourself daily like I do.. just be aware that I do find any kind of chinese food will make me retain 1-2 lbs of water weight the next day... but other than that- you should be able to enjoy that chinese food night easily!! Hope that is helpful! :)
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Chinese food is my favourite. I "bank" calories for a month in order to treat myself.
    I don't think any of it is non fattening, but you could go for some hot/sour soup and steamed rice
    with broccoli and chicken. Personally, i would enjoy the treat and not worry too much about it.
    After all, how many fat chinese people do you see.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    It's the fat that makes it so calorie dense and keeps me avoiding it. Fortunately, I love won ton soup, which, usually, contains a good deal of veggies and white meat chicken. Just a few won tons to round things out.

I eat a lot of won ton soup.
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    It's once a month. Just eat moderately the rest of the day and get whatever you want. Stressing out about what to get once a month is going to do nothing but, well, stress you out. Getting something you enjoy once a month won't make or break your diet.

I used to try to get "healthier" Chinese (steamed veggies w/ sauce on the side, hibachi, etc) but it never satisfied me; I always ended up disappointed and wishing I used the calories on something I wanted. So, now I just get what I want (General Tso's or orange tofu w/ broccoli) and enjoy it.
  • bootsandfros
    bootsandfros Posts: 81 Member
    i like to stick with with the rice noodles and veggies/shrimp. try shrimp mei fun or the singapore noodles without the pork. another dish i will order is sauteed broccoli with white rice. this one comes with a brown sauce. remember you can order sauces on the side.

my sis in law orders broccoli and shrimp with white rice and the sauce on the side. then she'll dip.
  • You likely order from the same place every time, so get the menu in advance and look for the diet/steamed section. Chicken or shrimp with veggies and black bean sauce is awesome and so much more appetizing than the fried sweet and sour. Specify sauce on the side and brown rice, if you like it.

Soup is another good option. Sub gum wonton has strips of meat and lots of veg, and egg drop is extremely low in calories.
  • joyvpd
    joyvpd Posts: 11 Member
    Thanks for all the replies! I until recent weight gain, I never had to worry about this. But, things do change! Again, thanks for the replies and support.