This is going to seem like such a stupid rant.

Options
Okay so Ive been trying off and on to loose weight. Its not because i think im too overly fat or anything at all. Its becuase i want to be happy with who i see. But everytime it try. It'll last a week or two. And ill just get tired of it. break for ONE DAY. Becuase otherwise i wont be able to eat that meal. And then its ****ing done. And i dont know what to do about it to keep my self from breaking all the time. Ideas? thanks!

Replies

• missjeevious
    missjeevious Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't think that anyone can help you but you. i know that is a frustrating answer, but anything anyone else says is just words. YOU will have to decide to change, and I can't even tell you what needs to change (i.e. your body and/or your point of view). YOU have to figure it out.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I find the "eat back the calories: idea works when this hits me. When I want to break and eat a meal that's beyond my allowed calories for the day I can, IF I work out enough beforehand to "pay" for the meal.

Either I'll do it and then eat that meal or I'll decide that the meal isn't worth the work and skip it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Set yourself up with a sustainable plan. Sounds like thusfar you have been setting yourself up for failure. Make a plan, execute your plan, and if you have an off day or an off meal, just get back on track ASAP.
  • originalkazila
    Options
    Maybe a nonfitness related reward for sticking to it? When I first started losing weight I cut out fast food. The money I wasn't spending on fast food I use to treat myself with new things I wanted - like movies, clothes or make up
  • jzebracki
    jzebracki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It is not stupid at all! We all go through it! Every single day is a conscious decision to keep on track. Just don't quit trying! Good luck!
  • Sassounette
    Options
    First post, go easy on me!

I used to be this way myself. I'd do great for a little while, but rarely for more than a month at a time.

I quit smoking in 2009 cold turkey, and it was probably the easiest thing I ever did. Why? I don't actually know WHY it was as easy as it was, but it was like a light bulb went off in my head and my brain said "yeah, it's time to be done." And so I smoked my last cigarette without much ado, and I was done forever.

Food, however, was a much bigger thing for me to tackle. I've fought with my weight since I hit puberty, and I am not a small person even now. The "light bulb" moment came for me in weight loss when I watched some documentaries... I had watched hundreds before, but this one doc hit home for me. And there went the light bulb.

Ever since, yes, it's been difficult on occasion to make the right decision, but if you're resolved, it isn't a daily battle as much as you'd think... at least not in my experience. If you want it badly enough, you CAN have it. You just have to stick to your guns.

I've since lost 44lbs and counting. Not quite a success story yet, but my best wishes and luck to you!!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    It takes practice. Do you start other projects and abandon them? I have a problem with that: good starter, not so good a finisher.

You have to find it in you to follow through. One thing I've decided is NO MORE NEW PROJECTS. I need to finish some projects that I already started, including improving my fitness.

I've noticed that when I promise other people that I will do something, I move heaven and earth to keep my promise. I decided to have the same policy when I make promises to myself. I'm worth following through on.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You don't want it enough, when you do you'll get on with it.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I find the "eat back the calories: idea works when this hits me. When I want to break and eat a meal that's beyond my allowed calories for the day I can, IF I work out enough beforehand to "pay" for the meal.

Either I'll do it and then eat that meal or I'll decide that the meal isn't worth the work and skip it.

This is the same for me. If I know I am going out drinking alcohol or going out for dinner with friends, I generally do a high intensity workout or extend a workout so I have burnt more calories that day, therefore "giving" me more to play with. I know it's not exactly how it works but it means that overall for the week I know I've burned off any excess calories that would be over my daily limit.

Try to look at it weekly rather than daily also, that way you can give yourself a little room if you have a heavy weekend but can be very strict with yourself during the week.
  • Okay so Ive been trying off and on to loose weight. Its not because i think im too overly fat or anything at all. Its becuase i want to be happy with who i see. But everytime it try. It'll last a week or two. And ill just get tired of it. break for ONE DAY. Becuase otherwise i wont be able to eat that meal. And then its ****ing done. And i dont know what to do about it to keep my self from breaking all the time. Ideas? thanks!

I don't mean to be harsh, but maybe you don't want it bad enough. I'm saying this because I was exactly as you described. Untill one day I wanted it so badly I just did it and kept at it. Of course you'll have days like I had today (hmmm chocolate!) but you get right back in the saddle.

You need to want it!!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Find willpower. And realize that overeating once doesn't have to be the end of everything. A lot of people go "Oh well, just ruined the whole diet." Pick yourself up starting that moment, dust yourself off, and get back on track.

Also, like others said, make sure your diet is sustainable. Don't make it so impossible you can't stick with it.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    It was definitley a mind-set change for me - and it took quite a while for it to stick. And honestly, it's still a work in progress.

Probably most important for me was to realize that it has to be a lifestyle change and not a "diet" that has an end. It has to be sustainable. Yes, it will change a bit when (eventually) I move into maintenance mode, but I will always have to watch what I eat to make sure my weight doesn't creep up. So I need to build better healthier habits that I can make a part of my life.

Another big one for me is to not beat myself up for falling off the diet wagon and to get right back at paying attention. Not that I'll be happy with it, and sometimes it will even be planned (like tonight!), but when I do fall off the diet wagon, be it planned or unplanned, I try to get right back to it. Not after the next big event, not on the first of the month, not on Monday, not even tomorrow morning - RIGHT NOW!
  • KEAVES13
    KEAVES13 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

I used to be this way myself. I'd do great for a little while, but rarely for more than a month at a time.

Ever since, yes, it's been difficult on occasion to make the right decision, but if you're resolved, it isn't a daily battle as much as you'd think... at least not in my experience. If you want it badly enough, you CAN have it. You just have to stick to your guns.

^^this & I used to do this too, but for me, having that one day just doesn't work, it just turns into one after another, after another. But something has finally just clicked for me too and now it doesn't even seem like a struggle to be honest. Don't get me wrong, it is hard to say no to some (a lot) of foods, but now I just know what I want...and I believe I can do it...and you can too!! :wink:
  • RhinestoneRocky
    RhinestoneRocky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You might just not be ready to accept that in order to lose the weight you want you're going to have to make changes that are Sustainable and Consistent!

Going on a 1200 calorie diet and working out for 60 minutes a day might work for some people, but it isn't for everyone.

You have to think really hard about your reasons for wanting to lose weight and try and think about what inspired you to want to lose to begin with. I was a major boredom and emotional eater. I'd sit and inhale 4 pieces of bread with butter, even if I wasn't hungry! I stopped those destructive habits by keeping my hands busy. (I paint my nails A LOT and buy new books as a reward for making my goals)

Here is what helps me keep that fire lit under my *kitten* (which might not work for you at all, just seems like you need some sort of help here):

-Look at the Success Stories. Every. Single. Day.
    -Track everything you eat
    -Take 'Before' pictures of you in a sports bra and shorts (I did this recently and I can't even think about stopping now)
    -Read up about TDEE and BMR so you can figure out an amount to eat that won't let you feel deprived
    -Make monthly goals
    -Don't treat food like a reward, food is fuel not a prize
    -Have a weekly cheat day or cheat meal
    -Find a physical activity that makes you feel good. (I lift 3 days a week and it makes me feel like a million dollars)
    -Be Consistent

Again, you're going to just have to think very hard about what it is YOU want out of this. YOU have the power to make anything possible, it's just a matter of believing in it.

I wish you nothing but success! :)
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Agreed...It has to be that your desire for change outweighs your desire for the status quo. It can be a battle but when you are that determined, you will win (even if you have set backs).
  • ukkiosan
    ukkiosan Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I would try to isolate particularly why you "get tired of it." Is it because you're hungry all the time? Don't have supportive friends? Overwhelmed by advice? Don't know where to start with healthy recipes? Physically tired?

Once you figure that out, you'll have more information to work with and hopefully things will go smoother. I will say that when I have failed in the past, it is because I took too many "breaks" and then suddenly every day was a break day! Now, if I know I'm going to splurge, I make it count - no fast food or pizza, I go all out and have a nice steak or yummy sushi with a completely delectable dessert. That usually holds me over for a while. Also, sometimes instead of rewarding myself with food I will do something to pamper myself - manicure, bubble bath, buy a nice purse/shoes, etc - because I find that I use food to fill deficits in other areas of my life.

Good luck!
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I used to and sometimes still go through similar cycles...its all about what you want more. Do you want X food more than you want to lose weight? And if I honestly asked myself (although for a long time I probably wasn't honest) I would probably answer yes to the food. You have to be mentally ready, and sometimes that takes time. But its the whole 'get back on the horse' mentality - keep trying, and eventually you will get to where you need to be.
  • AngelsInThighHighs
    AngelsInThighHighs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I used to be like this as well, its about dedication and the need to change will isnt enough you have to say " i NEED to do this!" You cant do it for anyone but yourself. No one is going to motivate you better then you, my advice stop yoyoing its doing you more harm then good, your going to make it a habit.

You either get in, get fit. Or get out until you NEED it.
  • CaitsACake
    CaitsACake Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Let me put it this way, I'm 5'6, and about 160, yet I'm known to, just like I did today, go downstairs and eat half a LARGE pizza. With out an issue, and even then I'm Simi- full. Because im so hungry. Its not a problem so much of me wanting to loose weight. Although that'd be great and all. I just really don't want to start gaining weight like i know that I'm going to inevitably start gaining. I don't do anything athletic really. I walk around. And watch TV and eat way to much food all the time like for example.
    Today for breakfast 2- sausage egg mc muffins and a medium frappichino from McDonalds
    Today for lunch a coke and a cupcake
    Today for dinner 4 pieces of pizza
    I dont know if its a mix of sheer laziness or just a sever lack of will power, but i just cant seem to manage to eat healthier, even when i write down everything i eat and i plan everything the day before. It just some how or another i always end up breaking my goals.
  • Ih8thedreadmill
    Ih8thedreadmill Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    For me, only been 2 weeks and 5 pounds, I try very hard to stay in the #'s. If I blow a day i don't sweat it. I quit smoking a year ago, cut back on coffee 3 months ago (from more than a pot to less than 6 cups, and cutting back more) Cut back on diet soda ( atleast a six pack a day to 2 or 3 20 oz bottles a week!). I actually feel MUCH better, less aches and pains (unless I work out too much) less brain fog less tired etc. Trust me cut out the crap for 1 week.....seriously avoid processed food as much as possible........Instead of crap food and crap drinks BUY GOOD WHOLESOME FOOD! If that is all that is in the house you HAVE to eat better, I am not a health nut, I still have pizza once a week, I still have soda on occasion.... but I try to AVOID ( not kill myself if i have something) all the chemicals and processed food! You may like the way you feel. If you fall off the wagon (Superbowl Sunday I not only fell off I took the whole wagon with me!) get right back on track the next day! Set goals and take pride when you achieve them, My energy is much higher with just a couple weeks of the new me! Don't give up!