"Healthy" foods.

Options
Next week is when I am getting really serious with my weight loss. I needs some advice on foods to avoid and to eat while trying to do so. Everyone always says "fruits and vegetables." Fruits are easy to incorporate into my diet, but I have trouble getting vegetables in. If you have any recipes or advice on how to eat more veggies, it would be greatly appreciated. What do you get at the grocery store? Any other favorite healthy recipes that I could try?

Replies

• 55sc
    55sc Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I bring raw veggies to work for a snack, put generous amounts on sandwiches, and add them to omelets and fritattas. I have a salad or vegetable soup with my lunch sandwich most days.

Roasting vegetables changes the flavor so if you don't like something raw or steamed, you may like it roasted. Cauliflower and brussel sprouts are two I think really change and become more yummy.

Roasted veggies are good by themselves, on sandwiches, in omelets, soups, and salad, and in casseroles.

Roasted veggies:
    Toss your veggies with a teaspoon or two of olive or canola oil. Spread them onto a baking sheet and roast (lowest rack) in a 425 degree oven for about 30 minutes, stirring half way through. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste before or after roasting. If you are watching salt, use any other spices or herbs you like, only add them near the end of the cooking time so they don't scorch.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    you want meat, fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds to be bulk of your diet.

dont be afraid of things like coconut, avocado, fatty meats as long as they fit your caloriegoal!

i forget to mention virgin oils like coconut oil and olive oil
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you focus on whole foods and hitting your macros and calories, you will very likely be getting good nutrition. After doing this for 6 months, go get a blood test, and the doc can tell you if you're deficient in any vitamins.
  • TimeForMe99
    Options
    If you like fruits try sweet potatoes. Baked or microwaved they are gently sweet and creamy. They also make rockin' oven fries. Don't stress too much about the veg vs. fruit thing. They're one food group for a reason.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If you focus on whole foods and hitting your macros and calories, you will very likely be getting good nutrition. After doing this for 6 months, go get a blood test, and the doc can tell you if you're deficient in any vitamins.

this.
  • ldaley007
    Options
    Agree! Love roasted veggies!!!
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    If you like fruits try sweet potatoes. Baked or microwaved they are gently sweet and creamy. They also make rockin' oven fries. Don't stress too much about the veg vs. fruit thing. They're one food group for a reason.

This! I'm making oven-baked sweet potato fries and Caprese chicken burgers (no bun) for dinner tonight!
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    For veggies, I think the easiest way to get them in is with huge jass salads or wraps. I know those sound kind of boring, but trust me, they're not!

For salads, there are so many vegetables that work well--- onions, sweet peas (<<<favorite topper), red/yellow/orange peppers, etc. Then you have your meats: grilled chicken, boiled and salted shrimp, salmon, a crumbled lean burger. Dressings: hummus, oil and vinegar, yogurt mixture. Crunch: sunflower seeds, pecans, toasted bread crumbled into croutons. SO many options.

My favorite veggies though are the squashes. Butternut, acorn and spaghetti in particular. An easy way to cook these is to place them in the oven whole and bake for 1-2 hours until soft. Then you can just do whatever you want with them! Cut 'em into fries, add to soups.

A new recipe that I made recently was a butternut squash shepherd's pie. Basically mix some cooked ground meat with all of your favorite vegetables: peas, onions, mushrooms, zucchini. Spray a pan, add the ground meat mixture. Then top with some butternut squash that has been cooked and all mashed up. Bake until hot and the top is well-cooked, 30-40 minutes. Sprinkle on a little sea salt. Amazing! :smile:
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I do veggie stir frys for lunch a lot. I usually have carrots, broccoli and green beans on hand, all of which I can happily snack on raw and by themselves. Soups are a good way to get lots of veggies in too-you can use low sodium broth and add in whatever vegetables and seasonings you like.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Look up vegan recipes- we tend to befantastical in making veggies taste amazing beyond your wildest dreams! :love:

Try:
    ohsheglows.com
    http://www.whfoods.com/recipestoc.php
    http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2000/02/recipes-list.html
    http://peasandthankyou.com/recipage/most-loved-recipeas/

Oh, and Green Smoothies! Add some spinach or any green to a fruit smoothie and you can't even tell you are eating veggies!
    http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/green-smoothie-recipes/
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, why next week?

Add people as friends and look at their diaries to get ideas (feel free to add me!)

For veggies I eat half an avocado almost every day (with some fresh lemon and salt), and munch on carrot sticks. Also cucumber & radishes with salt/pepper/lemon juice/cumin. Roasted veggies is a great idea - I like roasting butternut squash, carrots, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, etc. Also stir frys - make a great sauce you love, any veggies will taste great in it!

Also I've been eating this Asian slaw at least twice a week, I LOVE it!
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dave-lieberman/asian-style-slaw-recipe/index.html
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    A favorite in my house is asparagus, zucchini and summer squash pan sauteed with just a hint of olive oil...once its almost finished add some fresh garlic and some pepper....Yummy! I also love to steam a head of cauliflower & sprinkle with some butter buds, or if I have the calories to spare I add some cheese sauce. My local store also carries big bags of frozen asian stir fry veggies that I fry up and add some sweet & spicy chili sauce to...you can add chicken, pork or shrimp for some protein...very good. The best advice is to experiment and try different seasonings.
  • Larrybrown01
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for sharing an informative post with s.
    Losing weight fast is important in everyone's life. Regular exercise and fruits and vegetables are important for weight loss.
    Most fruits and vegetables are low in fat and calories making them ideal for use in weight loss diets.
    Fresh fruit and vegetable based drinks are full of vitamins and minerals.
    They also contain antioxidants, which are thought to help prevent some cancers and lower the risk of many lifestyle related diseases like heart disease.
    Keep posting....