Not a bro. I don't even lift.

Options
Hoi!
5'3 girl, 125 lbs. GW: 115 lbs.

I like cardio exercise, and I do spinning about 5 times a week. My plan is to lose ten pounds.

My muscles get HUGE when I lift, and as a short girl, it's really not flattering. I'm dead serious, my muscles are already big as they are. I had to stop lifting a few years ago, the muscles don't seem to go away either, even though i stopped lifting. I totally hate it, and bulkiness is not a feature I'm really looking for.

Soooo my question is, do I really have to lift? Are there strengthening exercises I can do that doesn't build muscle?

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    You might consider Pilates. Strengthens core muscle groups, can tone once the weight is off (strengthens the muscles under so that when the weight drops away, definition can be seen) and can add overall strength. The more advanced stuff does planks and pushups, which is mad awesome for strength but shouldn't bulk too much.

I like Cassey Ho's POP Pilates. Beginner's workout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCg_gh_fppI
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    Hoi!

I like cardio exercise, and I do spinning about 5 times a week. My plan is to lose ten pounds.

My muscles get HUGE when I lift, and as a short girl, it's really not flattering. I'm dead serious, my muscles are already big as they are. I had to stop lifting a few years ago, the muscles don't seem to go away either, even though i stopped lifting. I totally hate it, and bulkiness is not a feature I'm really looking for.

Soooo my question is, do I really have to lift? Are there strengthening exercises I can do that doesn't build muscle?

You weigh 125lbs. Your muscles are not "HUGE". Lift...
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    It can be difficult for men who are trying to bulk to gain muscle mass, and on average, women gain muscle at about half that rate. The size increase you see is most likely water intention in your muscles which usually happens when a strength training regimen begins. Once your body gets used to it, it will release that. No you don't have to strength train, but most people I know who don't haven't been very happy with their body composition once they lose the weight.
  • DrLabRat
    Options
    You don't HAVE to do anything. Exercise. Eat right. Be happy.

That said... weight lifting is an excellent form of exercise and, in my humble opinion, it's highly unlikely that your muscles get 'huge' due to weight lifting. You might THINK that they do, but unless you have a ton of testosterone floating around in your blood... you're really not going to put on much muscle mass from weight lifting.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Of course you don't have to. I lost 50 lbs without lifting a weight. Now I lift because it is my preference. I did basically just elliptical and power yoga for the first 50 or so pounds. Now I do a whole bunch of different things.
    Eat healthy, move your body and be happy.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Hoi!

Sorry but I am betting your muscles are not huge as you claim. Your profile says you are female... females cannot build large, bulky muscles without drugs.

Set your goal to 0.5lb per week, eat healthy and you will lose your 10lbs.