if over on cals but lacking a macro or nutrients in general

Options
If you used up all your calories but ate carbs all day and not much protein, if you go over on calories because you are eating extra protein to make up for it (say, 3 servings of egg whites and a bit glass of 1% milk) will that go to your *kitten* or will your body use the protein? sorry, I don't know if I worded this right

Replies

• Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    extra calories are extra calories
    decide what your priorities are
    if retaining lean mass you should go over but get the protein in,
    if weigth loss, then stay within limit

if it happened only once/not too often, don't worry about it at all, one day will not affect your weigth loss/muscle loss
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    An excess of calories will make you gain weight. Whether those calories turn to fat or muscle mass will be dependent on your training and diet.

If your goal is to lose weight you need to be in a calorie deficit.

Next time include your protien in your calorie prescription.
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Confused, but i think you are asking if you went over on cals because you wanted more protein. Its one day you'll be fine.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much of a deficit you're already set to (example: 500 cals per day so that you can be on track at 3,500 cals/ 1 pound lost in a week), then going over your calorie intake by even a couple hundred calories won't have that big of an impact if it's every once in a while.

If you're hungry, EAT.

There's always tomorrow to start fixing your protein/carb/fat ratios. Research a few different techniques, recipes, etc. and keep reading on the forums for experience from others. This takes time, but you'll get it down soon!

Good luck to you! :drinker:
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Extra carbs go straight to your ankles.

That said, I avoid getting cankles by frontloading my day with protein. I try to get in at least a third of my protein by 10 am. It's working so far.
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Wahhhh? It's all about calories in and calories out - total number. Macros help guide you towards making better food decisions.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    Not much of an issue if it is just one day. But if your goal is weight loss stay within your calories. At the next food decision point strive to go for macros.
  • GADavies
    GADavies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    More calories in is more calories in, they all count.
  • Cr01502
    Options

That said, I avoid getting cankles by frontloading my day with protein. I try to get in at least a third of my protein by 10 am. It's working so far.

This.

This chick knows her stuff.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much of a deficit you're already set to (example: 500 cals per day so that you can be on track at 3,500 cals/ 1 pound lost in a week), then going over your calorie intake by even a couple hundred calories won't have that big of an impact if it's every once in a while.

If you're hungry, EAT.

There's always tomorrow to start fixing your protein/carb/fat ratios. Research a few different techniques, recipes, etc. and keep reading on the forums for experience from others. This takes time, but you'll get it down soon!

Good luck to you! :drinker:

^^This, generally. You can also make a decision based on your workout for the day. If you did a lot of cardio, then taking in more carbs isn't going hurt the day. If you did strength training, then you might want to take in the extra protein. You're not talking many calories if you're saying egg whites and a bit of milk!
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

It's tricky though, you also need to make sure you eat all of your carbs for the day in 3 hour window, and never any later than 2 p.m.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

It's tricky though, you also need to make sure you eat all of your carbs for the day in 3 hour window, and never any later than 2 p.m.

Broscience.

Carbs have really great bioavailability, which means your body becomes more available as you ingest more carbs. This is why alcohol makes people act slutty. It's basically pure carbs.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

Broscience.

Carbs have really great bioavailability, which means your body becomes more available as you ingest more carbs. This is why alcohol makes people act slutty. It's basically pure carbs.

Touche. And also explains why my slutty quotient drops significantly after 4 p.m. It's my body craving carbs! My future boyfriend thanks you. :flowerforyou:
  • Cr01502
    Options

Broscience.

Oh so this is why alcohol is meant to be consumed post workout? Preferably at a 3:1 ratio alcohol to protein?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

Broscience.

Oh so this is why alcohol is meant to be consumed post workout? Preferably at a 3:1 ratio alcohol to protein?

THANK you. Finally, someone who knows what they're talking about. Yes, this is also why working out in the morning isn't a good idea. Besides the front-loading protein issue, who wants to deal with the effects of all those carbs at work?
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options

Broscience.

Oh. That explains it. Could never figure out why I go on a slutty rampage after eating a lean pocket. I'm making pb&j's for all ladies at the bar tonight.
  • tripful
    Options
    Hey man, I hear you, I was there, too. I got turned onto the following idea from a friend: lower my carb intake substantially and protein intake moderately, replacing both with healthy fats (sat, mono, poly). In short, I've continued that intake pattern for some time and have had phenomenal results. I found my water intake went up, but I was cool with that. I also found that my good cholesterol went up a lot and my bad cholesterol went down a little and I gained much better overall mental focus during much of the day. So all in all, carb down, protein slightly down, fat way up, and I'm leaner, lighter and healthier for it. What a concept! =)