Wisdom, passed down.

Options
VictorianJade
VictorianJade Posts: 705 Member
I can't explain except through the following examples:

My grandfather used to tell me that I could stop learning when all of my fingers were the same length.
My father used to tell me that if the bells of Rome struck while I was making a face, my face would freeze like that.
My mother used to tell me that all ladies are women, but not all women are ladies.

Share your own!

Replies

• marii92
    marii92 Posts: 77
    Options
    lol, the last o is kinda true :P

> When you make a face and the wind blows, your face will freeze like that. (My mother)
    > When you turn your eyelids inside out, and scare someone in the process, you'll turn blind. (Arabic Second language teacher)
    > If you wear your left shoe on your right feet and vice versa, your feet will actually turn like that. (Aunt)
    > If yu eat the watermelon seeds, you'll end up with a plant growing inside you. (Friend's mother)

There's loads more but I can't remember all of them.
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,145 Member
    Options
    My dad used to tell me money doesn't grow on trees.

My mom used to tell me to always wear clean underware just in case you get in a car accident.

Words of wisdom...gotta love it :laugh:
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    :flowerforyou: "Hindsight is greater than foresight, this is why our a**es are bigger than our heads" My Mom (Rest her soul - I miss her and her wisdom

:flowerforyou: "Wish in one hand and *kitten* in the other and see what you get first" My Dad (I miss his wisdom as well)

:flowerforyou: "If frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their a**es on the rocks" Both parents

:flowerforyou: "It's your basket - what do you want to carry with you for the rest of your life." Don't recall who shared that with me but always remembered it. I've been cleaning mine out recently to make it lighter.

Yes... not the most positive of sayings handed down... but they are still mine. :bigsmile:
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Don't pout or a bird will poop on your lip (my boyfriend's mom tells his son this).

Patience is a virtue (my mom, as she drew a P in the air with her finger).

Invest in experiences, not things (I don't remember where this came from, but it sure hit home!)
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    My thirsty wanted whiskey, my hungry needed
    beans; but it`d been a month of pay days since I`d heard that eagle
    scream; so with a stomach full of empty and pocket full of dreams
    I left my pride and stepped inside a bar (actually I guess you`d
    call it a tavern).

Kris Kristofferson
  • Valqis
    Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Sorry if it is corny, but I used to end my radio show with it:

"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Sorry if it is corny, but I used to end my radio show with it:

"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."

"A flute with no holes isn't a flute, but a donut with no holes is a danish."

-- Ty Webb
  • VictorianJade
    Options
    In the words of Mary Poppins: "No Pie Crust Promises. Easily Made, Easily Broken."
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    When I was about 10 years old I was hungry and wanted a snack. So I grabbed an apple out of the fridge, sat leaned on the counter and took a bite. And it wasn't good,,, over-ripe, with a mealy texture, not crisp. Edible, but not good. So - I did the reasonable thing and dropped it in the trash.

My Dad said "Don't throw that away boy - whaddaya think,,, those things grow on trees!?!?!" :laugh:

We both got it at the same time, and laughed our a$$es off. My Da wasn't always wise, but he was usually funny. I miss him every day.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    My dad's favorite: "If you're looking for sympathy, you'll find it in the dictionary between *kitten* and syphillis".
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Love your sig line. ""Come on down to Sofa King! Where the prices are Sofa King low!"" :laugh:

If life was fair, we'd all be driving new trucks.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    My Dad when I wanted something - '*kitten* in one hand and wish in the other and see which one gets full first'

My Mom when comparing my oddities - "Well - you didn't get it from licking the grass you know"

Zig Ziglar - "The fear of loss is greater than the desire for gain"
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    My first year of trying to teach physics to math deficient kids, My dad told m principle told him - You can't make chicken salad out of chicken *kitten*

My best friends's dad always says, You can lead a horse to water but you cannnot make him drink, you can send a fool to college but you cannot make him think.

Don't let other people's negative opinion of you become your reality.

When people show you who they are, Believe Them
  • VictorianJade
    Options
    One of my favourites from my mom:

When a man tells you he's not good enough for you, he's right.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    A quote that I use for weight loss.

If you don't do it, who's going to do it for you? - My Mom.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    "Wish in one hand and *kitten* in the other and see what you get first" My Dad (I miss his wisdom as well)

That was a popular one by my dad when we were growing up... also very popular "why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it" (KLASSY!!!) :laugh: :laugh:
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    on problem solving-

"Two heads are better than one, even if one's a sheep"

~Grampa
  • adegonia
    adegonia Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    On asking for something you want "the worse they can do is tell you no"-my dad it REALLY helped me get over my shyness
  • VictorianJade
    Options
    I once asked my grandma why she calls everyone 'dear'.

"Because you will learn to recognize that everyone really IS dear, dear."