Newbie needs help

Options
Hi there,

Sorry if this is always asked (hopefully not), but I did a search and didn't really find an answer.

I had my first session with my personal trainer today and I hurt, which is fine, I was expecting pain afterwards (seriously I wasn't aware it was possible for my thighs to hurt this much but whatever!) I did weight work for the first time in my entire life.

My issue is that while I was chillaxing on the sofa after dinner I got the shakes. I know these shakes as 'the alchi shakes', y'know when you've got a hangover after drinking WAY too much the night before. It's like uncontrolled shivers to those who haven't experienced them.

And I was wondering why? And what I can do in the future to avoid them?

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Stack.

Replies

• phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Uncontrolled shivers that have occurred as a result of exercising?

That sounds like muscle spasms, its either one or both of two things: you either aren't getting enough water (take a water bottle with you) or you have pushed them too far and overloaded them.

The good news is the shakes/spasms are harmless. If you've sweated a lot they'll be an absense of electrolytes. The alcohol shakes you describe are because of dehydration. You dont need any fancy sports drinks either normal water will do the job.

All I can say is that "no pain no gain" crap is a myth, exercise shouldn't cause pain afterwards (or during for that matter). If you have then your either pushing too hard, lifting too heavy, or doing it wrong etc. You should feel they have been worked, and muscles that you usually don't use as much may ache at the start but it shouldn't be painful.
  • zeta30
    zeta30 Posts: 40
    Options
    Uncontrolled shivers that have occurred as a result of exercising?

That sounds like muscle spasms, its either one or both of two things: you either aren't getting enough water (take a water bottle with you) or you have pushed them too far and overloaded them.

The good news is the shakes/spasms are harmless. If you've sweated a lot they'll be an absense of electrolytes. The alcohol shakes you describe are because of dehydration. You dont need any fancy sports drinks either normal water will do the job.

All I can say is that "no pain no gain" crap is a myth, exercise shouldn't cause pain afterwards (or during for that matter). If you have then your either pushing too hard, lifting too heavy, or doing it wrong etc. You should feel they have been worked, and muscles that you usually don't use as much may ache at the start but it shouldn't be painful.

The only part I don't 100% agree with is the pain part. I do agree that "no pain, no gain" is a very poor myth and should not be followed, but muscle pain is very common if you are either changing your workout or starting from fresh. Once your body gets used to working out the pain will diminish. Everyone is different here, I've been working out for many years and still get sore every time I change my routine, (which is about every 1 1/2 months), my friend never gets sore, no matter how hard he works out.

As far as the shaking, as I said, I believe that phildawson is 100% accurate with the part about water. It is very important to take water with you when you work out, especially if you work out with a trainer, as they tend to push you harder than you would by yourself.

Remember this tip, if you wait until you're thirsty to get a drink then you are already dehydrated.