coconut milk versus dairy milk

Options
can someone please explain to me why coconut milk is better for me than dairy milk...and how can I get fresh coconut milk without spending a fortune having it flown to me in the UK..(coconuts are not indigenous to our to our chilly little Island, but I try hard to eat locally sourced food)..very grateful for your advice:-)

Replies

• stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    coconut milk isn't necessarily better than cow's milk or goat's milk, but it has a different set of nutrients. there's a neat little table on this page that compares nutrients:

http://www.realfooduniversity.com/nutrition-milk-milk-substitutes/

i think the main reason most people switch from cow or goat milk to coconut, soy, almond, or rice milk is either a lactose intolerance or veganism.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I have no intolerance to dairy so I don't restrict it from my diet.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Why don't you try almond milk?
  • TrainSweatEatSleep
    Options
    Why don't you try almond milk?

YES!

Almond Milk!
  • chelseybennett1
    chelseybennett1 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I like almond milk because it is lower in calories and it lasts longer.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I like it because it is less calories than milk and it has more calcium. At least the brand I buy. Plus I am lactose intolerant.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    idk if it is necessarily better than cow's milk, each one offers their own nutrients. i drink so delicious coconut milk, i can find it at the grocery store in ny where i live usually 2.99 a half gallon so i get that, just because i don't like to do too much dairy (it upsetts my tummy after a while). if you don't have an intollerance to dairy then drinking regular milk really isn't a bad thing.
    you can also try other milk alternatives, like almond milk soy milk rice milk hemp etc, maybe one of those would be cheaper?
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    thank you for your replies...is almond milk indigenous to the northern hemisphere...in particular the UK??...I am trying to eat only foods that can be grown/reared in the country that I live in..(airmiles, etc)
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    coconut milk isn't necessarily better than cow's milk or goat's milk, but it has a different set of nutrients.
    i think the main reason most people switch from cow or goat milk to coconut, soy, almond, or rice milk is either a lactose intolerance or veganism.
    ^^THIS for me. I can eat a small amount of diary (e.g. pizza, 2 slices of cheese) without issues, but more than that and I'll emit a force field that'll repel everything except light and sound! I can take OTC pills to drink up to 8 oz of cow's milk or drink lactose-free milk, but both options are costly for me. I tried various alternatives and settled on coconut milk as my fave, especially for protein shakes.
  • allie_rat
    allie_rat Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The table that someone else linked you to is good. If you do want to try coconut milk (or any other milk substitute, like oat, almond, soya) you can find it in supermarkets for £1-£2 a bottle, it's not too hard to find. Holland and Barrett probably sell it too, though I don't know about finding any that originates in the UK.
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I don't think almond milk is indiginous to the UK.

I'm not lactose intolerant, so I use butter, cream and cheese from cows. Goat and sheep cheese as well.

UK has some awesome cheeses. And I don't know if you still get your milk delivered in bottles on your doorstep, but when I used to visit my aunt she received a delivery every day. Some of the best milk I'd ever tasted. Full-fat of course!
  • zoe871
    zoe871 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I get mine (Kara) from Ocado for £1.39 for a litre. I'm not really sure any of the non dairy milks can/are made here? Maybe oat milk..
  • chatogal
    Options
    The table that someone else linked you to is good. If you do want to try coconut milk (or any other milk substitute, like oat, almond, soya) you can find it in supermarkets for £1-£2 a bottle, it's not too hard to find. Holland and Barrett probably sell it too, though I don't know about finding any that originates in the UK.
    ya, thats my issue...I am trying to eat a "wartime" diet..(minus the spam..urgh) and eat only food that can be grown/reared in a 20 mile radius of where I live (so thankful this includes chillies!!). War time rations were shown to provide an incrediable diet and most of the kids partaking of the diet have proven how healthy it is by living to a ripe old age...god bless:smile: them
  • chatogal
    Options
    I don't think almond milk is indiginous to the UK.

I'm not lactose intolerant, so I use butter, cream and cheese from cows. Goat and sheep cheese as well.

UK has some awesome cheeses. And I don't know if you still get your milk delivered in bottles on your doorstep, but when I used to visit my aunt she received a delivery every day. Some of the best milk I'd ever tasted. Full-fat of course!
    I want to "like" you:-)
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hazelnuts are indigenous to the UK and you can buy hazelnut milk. However there are two caveats. One, I don't know where the hazelnuts in the hazelnut milk are grown, it could be on a separate continent for all I know. Two, for an accurate wartime diet, you'd be drinking milk, not any vegan alternative.
  • chatogal
    Options
    Hazelnuts are indigenous to the UK and you can buy hazelnut milk. However there are two caveats. One, I don't know where the hazelnuts in the hazelnut milk are grown, it could be on a separate continent for all I know. Two, for an accurate wartime diet, you'd be drinking milk, not any vegan alternative.
    yes...thank you... that is rather what I thought...a vegan diet, although not impossible, would have been very difficult in any era but the present one as the foods to keep you healthy would not have been readily available....so thankful for the jet plane, eh?
  • aliceb39
    aliceb39 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is readily available in California. I like the chocolate and vanilla flavors. I like that it's shelf-stable until opened. I just bought a box of new almond/coconut milk blend but haven't tried it yet.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    It may help you lose weight, but it's not necessarily "better" for you. --
    Look here; http://www.realage.com/food/coconut-milk-really-good-for-you