How to build running endurance quickly

Options
2»

Replies

• alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    More miles, more miles, more miles and run more days for sure.

Run slow and easy until you build up your endurance, then the speed will come naturally.

I disagree with the previous poster, one long run and one day of sprint seems like a recipe for injury for a new runner - just my $.02.

Why is that?
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I should start by admitting I do not enjoy running, but want 2013 to be the year I learn to love it as it is free and accessible and would enable me to go from being a swimmer to maybe doing triathlons.

At the moment I can do about 5.4km before nearing death. I only have time to run twice a week and want to build up to 10km at least. so wondered what a good regime would be.

I didn't read the replies yet, so this might have already been said, but I didn't start enjoying running until I slowed down. I've been doing C25K for about 4 months. I got to the point where I could run 3 min straight but at the end of that 3 min I felt like I was going to die. I thought I WAS going slow, but I wasn't. Then someone suggested running slow enough that old ladies fast walking could pass me. Something clicked and I went from that, to being able to run 25 min without stopping in a matter of like 2 weeks. And that's with only running 2 days a week at most. I'll worry about speed once I get my endurance levels where I want them.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    What I am about to give you is gold. This is the best advice I have ever seen on running, anywhere. I followed it and am up to about 6 miles per day 3x per week.

http://www.reddit.com/r/USMC/comments/uwb3r/i_need_help_passing_my_ist/c4z5jm2

You're welcome.

Love that link! I'm dying.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Yes I can already run 5k. I can't do more than 2 days because other days are swimming, biking and other stuff. Plus I have four kids (solo) and work full time so I need something sustainable.

Will take suggestions on board.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I found HIIT a couple times a week improved my endurance and improved my speed more than running 5k every day.

HIIT will help your speed. it will not help your aerobic endurance

I did only HIIT for about 8 months. When I decided to just run again, my pace was faster and I could run longer. I found the HIIT made me in better shape which helped my endurance.
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    More miles, more miles, more miles and run more days for sure.

Run slow and easy until you build up your endurance, then the speed will come naturally.

i agree with this there are no shortcuts to running distance, just have to put in the miles! If it were easy everyone would do it. :-)
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like everyone is giving you advice on how to be a runner and from your initial post and your follow-up on your regimine that you are really interested in training more like a triathlete. If that's the case, then forget about looking at running programs and start to look into triathlon programs, especially those for Sprint tris. Gale Bernhardt has written an excellent book of training plans called "Training Plans for Multisport Athletes". Each chapter has a plan and and athlete profile so there are plans for people who want to check the sport out for the first time and more hard core racers. She has a couple of Sprint plans in the book. The one geared for those with limited training time averages 2-4 hours of total training a week with the 2 runs/week. It's a 12 week plan starting out in week one with a 5 and a 7 min run, the next week, 9 & 11 min runs, and so forth up to 30 & 35 min. She throws in a few acceleration workouts a couple of bricks (bike followed by run, etc.); as you can see, nothing too intense but plenty to prepare you for doing a Sprint tri. I'm sure there are other Sprint plans online but just know that you can stick with 2x/week runs especially if you are doing a variety of other aerobic and strength workouts...and you'll decrease the risks of injury all the strict runners have to be much more conscious of!
  • agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Zombies Run is awesome! I've got the regular game and the 5k training app. It's made it fun because I have something to work towards (getting supplies for Abel Township).
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Ease210k is good
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Strangely I ran tonight and having previously nearly died doing 33 minutes I managed 40 tonight and it felt like my usual pace.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Strangely I ran tonight and having previously nearly died doing 33 minutes I managed 40 tonight and it felt like my usual pace.

congrats!
  • chadgard
    chadgard Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like everyone is giving you advice on how to be a runner and from your initial post and your follow-up on your regimine that you are really interested in training more like a triathlete.

Indeed. I have no triathlon experience, but have been casually looking at info about it. So, yeah, don't take my advice as anything authoritative, or necessarily even good. But you might look at http://www.beginnertriathlete.com . They've got dozens of training plans, many free, for everything from a lump on the couch preparing for her first sprint triathlon to improving your time for triathalons, to preparing for an Ironman. They also have what appears to be a fairly active discussion forum. I would think you'd find a program that fits your goals and situation, as well as triathlon-specific advice, there pretty easily.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like everyone is giving you advice on how to be a runner and from your initial post and your follow-up on your regimine that you are really interested in training more like a triathlete. If that's the case, then forget about looking at running programs and start to look into triathlon programs, especially those for Sprint tris. Gale Bernhardt has written an excellent book of training plans called "Training Plans for Multisport Athletes". Each chapter has a plan and and athlete profile so there are plans for people who want to check the sport out for the first time and more hard core racers. She has a couple of Sprint plans in the book. The one geared for those with limited training time averages 2-4 hours of total training a week with the 2 runs/week. It's a 12 week plan starting out in week one with a 5 and a 7 min run, the next week, 9 & 11 min runs, and so forth up to 30 & 35 min. She throws in a few acceleration workouts a couple of bricks (bike followed by run, etc.); as you can see, nothing too intense but plenty to prepare you for doing a Sprint tri. I'm sure there are other Sprint plans online but just know that you can stick with 2x/week runs especially if you are doing a variety of other aerobic and strength workouts...and you'll decrease the risks of injury all the strict runners have to be much more conscious of!

excellent post!