Walking at work!

Options
Hi there,

As apart of my job i have to do the banking, Going to the post office etc. Its a bit of a walk but i have never included it into my daily exercise.

Until i downloaded an app for my phone (pedo eg counts steps distance cals burned etc etc) as i was curious to see how much it actually was...

Yesterdays walked was 2.3 kms and 40mins, 145 cals burnt ( i no it would be very actuate) and it was 30 degrees outside so it was pretty hot and a bit of a work out!

My question is do you think i should start logging it?..I have been doing to for months and never have before so really its just day to day life..But i would love a few more cal on the days i haven't worked out. or do i just carry on not logging it?

I kind of feel like I'm cheating if i do!

thanks

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Absolutely log it. I work at a college and I am always walking the campus. I can log 2 to 4 miles of walking a day beyond what is considered normal activity, and it adds up. I just log it in the cardio section as 2.0 or 3.0 MPH depending on how fast I moved around.

I also do 1 mile in my two 15 minute breaks, so I can have anywhere from 4 to 6 miles in a day, before I even "exercise".
  • lilmissbamaqueen
    Options
    Definitely log it! I recently bought a FitBit and wear it all day for that exact reason... I do a lot of walking around at work (even though I have a desk job) and found that I was burning a bunch of calories that I wasn't getting credit for.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I depends on which "activity level" you selected in your setup. If you selected the least active level...meaning a sedentary job...then you need to log your walking.

Good luck!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster, depending on what you have your activity level set at. If you have it set @ lightly active I wouldn't log it.

Although I know some people who do not log those walks to give them some "wiggle" room. So you can do that as well.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Im set to low activity level as the rest of my job I'm sitting at a desk! and Its not everyday that i do have to do this walk.

More like 2-3 Some times more some times less.

Im worried that if i start logging it that im going to start putting on weight again, Since i have never logged it to start with!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    i know it sounds silly to think that!
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Im set to low activity level as the rest of my job I'm sitting at a desk! and Its not everyday that i do have to do this walk.

Im worried that if i start logging it that im going to start putting on weight again, Since i have never logged it to start with!

Either way will work. The amount of exercise we're talking about is relatively insignificant.

Take care! :smile:
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It's part of your day to day life, so if you've been happy with your progress and haven't been hungry, you probably don't need to change it. If you're unhappy with your progress and have been hungry, just increase your setting from lightly to moderately active.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options

Either way will work. The amount of exercise we're talking about is relatively insignificant.

Take care! :smile:

Yeah i shouldn't think it would make a difference

Thanks for your help :flowerforyou:
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    It's part of your day to day life, so if you've been happy with your progress and haven't been hungry, you probably don't need to change it. If you're unhappy with your progress and have been hungry, just increase your setting from lightly to moderately active.

I'll leave it as is i think, Im defiantly not hungry, As i work out most days so i usually have a few more to eat back!