Retainig water like crazy!

Options
Hello, can any of you advise me of a remedy to get rid of excess water weight? I know all the usual ones: drink lots of water, use lemon wedges in your water, avoid salt and sodium.

I woke up this morning and have GAINED weight--2 pounds acutally-- from yesterday. My rings are so tight on my finger I can't get them off, My fingers look like sausages and my face is a bit puffy.

Do any of you have any other natural remedies to get rid of this water, other than what I mentioned above? Thanks!

Replies

• sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I know of no magic remedy, other than being born male! I have a lot of sensitivity to sodium, so feel for you if that's the issue. The beautiful part is that by logging foods, you'll be able to track your sodium intake pretty well and figure out what to perhaps avoid. For me, I don't eat much in the way of processed food (i.e. soups, canned beans, etc.) or cured meats; those are biggies, along with (surprisingly) bread. Good luck on your journey!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Green tea is apparently a natural diuretic. Coffee works also, apparently. If it's bad enough that your rings are digging in (mine get like that sometimes) it might be worth a trip to the pharmacy for a diuretic.
  • packratpatty
    packratpatty Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I know of no magic remedy, other than being born male! I have a lot of sensitivity to sodium, so feel for you if that's the issue. The beautiful part is that by logging foods, you'll be able to track your sodium intake pretty well and figure out what to perhaps avoid. For me, I don't eat much in the way of processed food (i.e. soups, canned beans, etc.) or cured meats; those are biggies, along with (surprisingly) bread. Good luck on your journey!

Oh my gosh, can you see my food diary? I ate every single thing on your list of foods that make a person retain water! Hmmmm I'll take that under advisement! :) also, another poster said to go to the pharmacy and get a diuretic. I didn't know there was such a thing over the counter? Where the hell have I been for the past 49 year of my life?
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I would not take a diuretic unless your physician says it is something you need. Ridding yourself of too much water has its own problems, such as depleted potassium, electrolyte imbalance, etc.

If the only problem with the retention is a couple pounds on the scale or a snug pair of jeans, then I'd just drink plenty of fluids. If you think the water retention is something more serious, then I'd consult your physician.
  • MicroHez
    MicroHez Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've always heard: The more water you drink, the less you retain.
  • Gjallarhorn
    Options
    Water weight isn't unhealthy weight. Don't stress it. Just drink more water and if it gets worse, talk to a doctor.
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    I have always heard ... and it works for me ... to drink more water. More water helps your body to flush out the fluids and sodium retained. It's not immediate, and sometimes takes a couple of days, but I will suddenly have what I call the 'whoosh' effect, where I 'pee' out a gallon or two of water at a time (lol). Plus the extra water is great for your skin and complexion. (I am not a lover of water, so it is truly a chore for me to drink water, so to take my own advice is 'torture', but I do it because I know it works :drinker: )
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    If it bothers you that much, just slash your carboHYDRATES for a few days and it will all be gone. Of course, it will come right back when you up your carbs again.
  • mdigiac
    Options
    Watermelon is a natural diiaretic
  • kats3boys
    Options
    Vitamin C works for me.
  • gettingfit65
    gettingfit65 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I would not take a diuretic unless your physician says it is something you need. Ridding yourself of too much water has its own problems, such as depleted potassium, electrolyte imbalance, etc.

If the only problem with the retention is a couple pounds on the scale or a snug pair of jeans, then I'd just drink plenty of fluids. If you think the water retention is something more serious, then I'd consult your physician.

I agree with this poster. I would only take diuretics under medical care. I had trouble with retaining fluids just out of the blue one summer. Was so swollen my calves turned red and my feet looked reddish purple. I was drinking water until I thought I was going to float away. Doctor put me on two diuretics. I had to come in every couple of days for bloodwork to check my potassium, etc. One day they called and said get to the pharmacy your potassium is too low....so anyway it all cleared up. No reason found. Did kidney tests, heart tests, etc. Very strange...but it has to be monitored. Good luck.
  • janisdianis
    janisdianis Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I tend to retain water too so I had my dr prescribe me the water pill which I take in conjunction with my BP meds..... I would go see your doctor :) GL :) It has been so much help too....
  • Today414
    Today414 Posts: 118
    Options
    Apple Cidar Vinegar works well. Soak some cucumbers in it and munch on them throughout the day. (Or, drink an oz or so straight - although this method is the worst thing i've ever done in my life and I seriously do not recommend it.. lol) I also do green tea with a lemon wedge soaking in it in the mornings. I'm super sensitive to sodium too, and the week before my period a poof up all over. I know its not unhealthy weight, but for me, its pretty uncomfortable to retain like that.

Do you use table salt a lot? Try Morton's Lite salt as a substitute. It's salt and potassium chloride. I like it.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Just drink... I increased my water to 128 oz a day and have no retention at all anymore, its like flushing out all the yuck in your system