Ladies: HEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!

Options
Ok... this isn't at ALL awkward.... here goes nothin'! As a treatment for <cough> female problems, I've been put onto a new Birth Control Pill. I've been taking it for about 3 weeks now... & I've kind of noticed a.... um... side effect.

You know that thing where you find a sports bra that you absolutely LOVE and become purely, totally, mogogamous? You go out & buy like... SIX more of them, so you'll have one for every day of the week's workouts because you absolutely LOVE that sports bra, & you only do your laundry once a week? Then after a few months, you buy that EXACT same brand again... same size... etc. etc. because it's PERFECT & you don't even have to try it on?

Well... I don't know if any of you know where I'm going with this... but after 3 weeks of my new Birth Control Pill... um... my "OMG-I-LOVE-this-sports-bra" isn't exactly um.... doing the job it's supposed to, if you know what I mean.

I'm SORE!!! I think... um... the girls might be growing a bit... & it's making me uncomfortable! I run for about an hour at a time every other day (training for a half-marathon at the end of April: my first!) but the past few runs, when I come home the girls HURT!!!!

Help! Any ideas?!

Replies

• horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Completely 100% normal. I had to start birth control when I was 18 because of TERRIBLE cramping that 800 mg ibuprofen wouldn't even touch. And not wanting to take vicodin every month.. you get the idea.

But both weight gain and a gain in the girls is normal.
    I'm 24, so that makes 6 years on birth control. My girls also went from a B to a C (sometimes a D at victorias secret..) and they have not gone down. It does SUPER suck that you have the best sports bras ever... but it might be a good idea to go invest in another one that fits perfectly.

Here's what I did-
    I have one AMAZING bra (underarmour bra) and then some other random ones that don't fit as well. I use that amazing one for long runs (when I can run..) and the other ones for shorter runs/cross training.
    When I was training for my half marathon, I tried running in these not so good ones, and I ended up with chafing on my sides. Good sports bras, just didn't fit right.

Fit's everything. Believe me, if you haven't gotten up to about 7,8 or 9 miles, when you get there and chafing starts happening.. not fun.
    I ended up with bloody shirts.

Anyway, I hope I helped. Usually the change in your girls does't go down. At least not for me. If you have any questions feel free to message me! I could get into the science of it but I'm already babbling! :)

Good luck!
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    It's the BC. It should go away after a while.
  • suzely0530
    suzely0530 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me as well...and unfortunately I'm still dealing with it MANY years later (yes, I'm still on the pill). In my case, it's related to retaining more water. My breasts hurt SO bad, even getting out of bed is painful. Thankfully, I have some water pills which helps, but my gyn told me to take advil..which i'm sorry, doesn't work. Maybe you should talk to your doctor about putting you on a different dosage ? Just a thought. Good luck !!
  • LeviLeDoux
    LeviLeDoux Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I feel your pain. I've been on Mirena for almost 5 years. Two months ago I went from a 32D to a 32DD....and they've started growing again. It freakin huuuurrts!! >_<
  • sweetd89
    Options
    There are always a variety of side effects when starting a pill or switching. Everyone's hormone chemistry is different and how your body reacts is different. The first 3 months/pill packs is the adjustment period for your body.

Totally normal! I have 38DD and mine didn't grow but they did get sore like someone had punched me. Maybe just try a little extra support while running and consult your doctor if it gets too intense for you.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Yep, it happens. Give it a full month or two before you run off and buy the bra in a bigger size- for me after the initial increase there was a return to normal in a few weeks. In the meantime, double up or add a supportive tank to your runs! I'm training for my first half marathon too and discovering Lululemon's Tata Tamer II (most ridiculous name, I know) changed my sports bra life!

Good luck! The "ladies" will calm down soon :)
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Well, I'd LOVE :grumble: to be on a different dosage, but that's just not going to happen. This is actually the strongest BCP on the market in Canada... apparently necessary, because the next one down well.... let's just say that being a woman was a gigantic cosmic joke for 29 straight days instead of just 5. So that's sort of not an option. This one's made the pain stop, & I feel perfectly normal again, which is exciting, because it's been a LONG time since I wasn't having issues.

I know I'm going to have to invest in new sports bras eventually... but I was wanting to wait till the um... "growth spurt" settles first. Does anyone have any tips? I tried wearing a tanktop with a shelf-bra in it on top of my sportsbra for my run today... Fail.

I was thinking I'd go for a true fitting eventually... I haven't had any bloody shirts, but I've chaffed a bit sometimes, usually from damp skin (sweat or rain). So I find that if I stick my elbows out when I run, that doesn't happen anymore. At all.

Do any other women who've had problems with large "girls" have any ideas about keeping them under control?

Thanks