Am i working out or am i wasting my time???

Options
I'm new to using the treadmill, I can jog for about 3 minutes at 5.2 and a 2.0 incline. Then i rest for 1 minute at 3.5 and keep a 2.0 incline. i run for 3 minutes and rest about 5 times then walk at 3.8 -4.0 at a 3.0 incline for about 25 minutes. to add that up i run about 15 minutes (i'm trying to work up my stamina) and then walk for about 25 minutes. Is this a good exercise or am i wasting my time?

I'm 5'5" 145lbs

Replies

• originalkazila
    Options
    I think you'd need to check your heart rate when doing this. When I joined the gym they taught me to watch my heart rate to keep it in a good zone. Work too hard and you're not buring fat effectively. (pretty sure anyway. I'm a gym noob.)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    I think you'd need to check your heart rate when doing this. When I joined the gym they taught me to watch my heart rate to keep it in a good zone. Work too hard and you're not buring fat effectively. (pretty sure anyway. I'm a gym noob.)

No. There is an "aerobic" zone....but you are burning fat doing exercise...she's not working for three hours. The "fat burning" zone is probably lower than what she's doing - working harder is good. Any extended period of elevated heart rate is great.

OP, what you're doing is an extremely effective way to exercise. Look up HIIT.

Plus, most running programs like Couch to 5K have a ramp-up program that is really similar to what you're doing.

• Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You're not wasting your time. The 2.0 incline will closely resemble real world running and you could even back it off to about 1.5 even. I run at a 1.5 incline on the treadmill. You kinda have your own version of speedplay or fartlek figured out. This will help your cardio endurance more than straight up running. I like sprints. You run for a minute flat out, then walk for 2. Repeat as often as you can. High intensity exercise will help your cardio the most. You may want to look into some C25K programs (couch to 5k). It sounds like you're off to a good start and have a good plan that works for you. Keep at it, summer and nicer weather is around the corner!
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    The fat burning heart rate is a load of b.s. Checking your heart rate isn't a bad idea, but not necessary.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    The fat burning heart rate is a load of b.s. Checking your heart rate isn't a bad idea, but not necessary.

Heh heh, that was basically what I said before I checked myself and edited it. I didn't want to have to come back and defend my word. :laugh:
  • kgarsick
    kgarsick Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! Its such a relief to know I'm actually doing something right!!
  • hunttmama
    hunttmama Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do you have a favorite kind of music that makes you feel energized? For me, it's old school TOOL. When I run (whether on a treadmill or outside) I start my running by wearing ear buds and listening to music... OR audio books. After I've gotten myself back into a good routine, I need the distraction less and less.

The next rule of thumb for me is not worrying about all that burn fat/build muscle algebra. Here's the simple truth: If you maintain your calorie goal and add exercise, you will lose fat, you will build muscle and you will start to change your body (and your mind). Start off slow. No pressure. Wear ugly frumpy gym clothes (if you feel like no one is watching you, you won't overburden yourself with other people's expectations). Run at a comfortable pace for as long as you can, then push yourself for 1 more minute. Every 2 weeks, add on a little more time...2 minutes or if your outside, 1/2 block. Before you know it, you will be running 5 miles without thinking about it.

You can do this. You already know you can. Just give yourself credit for being committed to fixing what you feel is an issue.
  • kgarsick
    kgarsick Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks! i try to add 30 seconds every few days to how far i can run without stopping. I'm only up an extra minute but it'll add up. I do have music that motivates me, pretty much anything like Senses fail or The used. Angry music seems to help haha!! But thanks for the motivation! Sometimes I just get discouraged because i haven't seen results.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Thanks! i try to add 30 seconds every few days to how far i can run without stopping. I'm only up an extra minute but it'll add up. I do have music that motivates me, pretty much anything like Senses fail or The used. Angry music seems to help haha!! But thanks for the motivation! Sometimes I just get discouraged because i haven't seen results.

^^ solid plan. Love it
  • DaddyCrossfit
    DaddyCrossfit Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Someone already suggested the C25K program.... I can't recommend it enough. I used it in the past to train for 5K's. If you're new to running, it's easy to get excited and overdo it and get injured (at least that was my experience). The C25K program is very doable and gets you there pain free and injury free. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is a fantastic program, or you can just google HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) to learn how to target your intensity level to your own personal specs and maximize your workout.
  • hunttmama
    hunttmama Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's funny that you said that about the angry music, I was going to say that... Tool=disillusioned and angry... I'm pretty sure I make dorky angry faces while I run.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options

You're doing pretty much what I did when I started running on the treadmill a few weeks ago. One day I would run for 6 minutes, then 8, then 10, walking in between. I'm up to running 30 minutes straight. Keep at it and you'll be there in no time!
  • Mamalea32
    Options
    Gradually you will be able to maintain a faster pace for a longer time. Just do not stop moving. Keep going and work on that gradually increase in running interval time. Walking when running is to hard will keep your heart rate elevated and then another burst of running will jump start it again-- a little boost. Do ot settle for less than a thirty minute work out though.
    I love to listen to my "80's cardio" on Pandora when I run. Other times I like angry music though!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    That's what I do.

I'm just not able to run for very long - four minutes max and usually closer to two and a half. I walk long enough to catch my breath and start over again. But when I started, 15 seconds killed me. So the point is to build up, no matter where you're starting from.