Greek Yogurt?

eliseswietek
eliseswietek Posts: 17
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I've heard so much about this Greek yogurt and how its good for you. When I found it in the store, it had CRAZY amounts of fat in it. Am I looking at the wrong stuff?

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    It's pretty high fat (depending on brand and fat %)...but so so tasty and double the protein as the regular artifically flavored chemicaly enhanced crap.

Chobani is usually 0% while Fage has 0, 1 and 2% milk fats.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I bought Greek Gods Yogurt (the plain) and this is what the label says for one serving:

Serving size: 4 oz (it says 6 in each container so I just eye 1/6 of it)
    Calories: 130
    Total fat: 11g
    Cholesterol: 30mg
    Sodium: 70mg
    Carbs: 5g
    Sugars: 5g (versus 27-30)
    Protein: 4g (versus 1)
    Vitamin A 8%
    Vitamin C 2%
    Calcium 15%

Keep in mind this is GOOD fat, not bad fat from a processed food. This is the fat that will help you lose weight. Don't be put off by it...just work around your other meals to fit it in. I've been mixing mine with honey & raspberries and it is tasty and I don't feel bad eating it because I know it's better for me than the Yoplait Light I was buying before!! :happy:
  • dclarsh1
    dclarsh1 Posts: 83
    I bought Greek Gods Yogurt (the plain) and this is what the label says for one serving:

Serving size: 4 oz (it says 6 in each container so I just eye 1/6 of it)
    Calories: 130
    Total fat: 11g
    Cholesterol: 30mg
    Sodium: 70mg
    Carbs: 5g
    Sugars: 5g (versus 27-30)
    Protein: 4g (versus 1)
    Vitamin A 8%
    Vitamin C 2%
    Calcium 15%

Keep in mind this is GOOD fat, not bad fat from a processed food. This is the fat that will help you lose weight. Don't be put off by it...just work around your other meals to fit it in. I've been mixing mine with honey & raspberries and it is tasty and I don't feel bad eating it because I know it's better for me than the Yoplait Light I was buying before!! :happy:

Um... 7 of those 11 grams of fat is saturated fat. I'm not sure where you're getting that this is "Good" fat.

To the original poster, you can get plain, non fat greek yogurt too. I get mine at Trader Joes, and I think Yoplait makes one too that you might be able to find in a larger grocery store.
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    I like the Fage 0% with a cup of chopped strawberries mascerated in a little bit of sugar. Yum!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    I get Fage or Oikos 0%. Tastes great, but if you get plain, be sure to sweeten it or it tastes like sour cream. I put a little Truvia and other nibbles in it for a filling snack. The protein is awesome!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    I only buy the 0% (Fage is the best, Dannon and Chobani are good too). I sweeten it with a teaspoon of the powder from the sugar free fat free pudding mix (lemon is awesome), only adds 10 calories and makes it like pudding!
  • I eat Chobani, and it doesn't have much fat...maybe I'm getting the light kind? I'm glad I made the switch because it doesn't have artificial sweetners and the dairy is hormone free!
  • I only buy the 0% (Fage is the best, Dannon and Chobani are good too). I sweeten it with a teaspoon of the powder from the sugar free fat free pudding mix (lemon is awesome), only adds 10 calories and makes it like pudding!

Such a good idea! I love finding new ways to use my greek yogurt!

To the OP -- Greek yogurt is like any other kind of yogurt, so it comes in varying fat %, just like the other stuff. The reason people love it so much is that you can buy the 0% fat and it is still so thick and creamy, basically like full fat sour cream. (In fact, using it as a replacement for sour cream -- like on baked potatoes or nachos -- is AWESOME.)
This discussion has been closed.