To Eat Exercise Calories Burned or Not to Eat

Need advice please....I have been extremely dedicated to MFP, logging my food, exercising, etc. Since the first of the year, I have made progress but I know I am using a "trial & error" method. My question is, do you or should you eat back the calories you exercise off in addition to your daily calories?

And yes...awful picture I know, but it is my motivation and even at 22 pounds I am seeing changes and I feel great!

Replies

• CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    I don't eat my exercise calories most of the time. I don't even log my exercise.If I am ridiculously hungry, I'll eat an extra hundred or two calories but I'm usually not. When I did weight watchers, they said eating exercise calories was optional.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I eat every last one and always have.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    tumblr_lygkjbxHqW1qhafj6_zps02e1b37c.gif
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I've always eaten mine :) I love food.
  • I only eat them back if I find myself hungry.....if ur on here for weight loss than I would think better to not eat them all back but if this is about fitness/toning/maintaining.....then I would think you should take it what your body requires. Which means eating them back. Just my thoughts good luck
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,314 Member
    I do, always have, never had trouble losing. That's the way this site is intended to be used.

You have a lot of weight to lose, it looks like. So you can probably get away with not eating them all for a while - but eventually it will catch up to you. Why make it harder than it needs to be. *shrug*
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    I have a hard enough time eating the ones I have set right now! I have to keep watch on my sugar so it makes it difficult to get it close without going extremely over sugar and sodium. I don't eat mine back, and I might would if I felt hungry but that rarely happens unless I'm busy and away from home. I DO NOT AND WILL NOT EAT TAKE OUT...unless it's a very special occasion. :)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I eat every last one and always have.

This!
  • mlbbarnes
    mlbbarnes Posts: 12 Member
    I never do but it's really up to you. If you are hungry and you have extra calories due to exercise, I would use some of them.
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Read this thread....best advice on the forum by people who know what they are talking about.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    I was beginning to plateau, and based on the advice of the forums, I've been starting to eat SOME of my workout calories. (Take into consideration that I'm a big girl. A 45 min. workout nets me more than 600 cals extra per day. Even with olive oil, avocados, etc...that's a lot of extra cals to take in.) I'm trying to eat at least half. As a result, the semi-plateau has broken.