Struggling to eat enough calories ...

Options
So I always thought I ate waaay to much good and bad food which was why I gained so much weight over the last 8 or so years (16kgs) then i joined this site ( which I love , so much support and encouragement ) . but according to MFP I am way under eating even on the days I don't exercise .I trust the info i get on this site so have been trying hard to eat more and good stuff .
I struggle to eat more as I end up feeling bloated anybody got any ideas or tips to up my calorie intake ... I don't eat red meat and am trying to limit my dairy intake
Any feedback is greatly apreciated

Amie :smile:

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If you feel bloated even when you haven't eaten a lot, you may have a food allergy or intolerance...
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    peanut. butter.

...or peanut butter.

ETA: it's really hard to tell where you're coming up short, or what you could add... since you have your diary closed.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    So I always thought I ate waaay to much good and bad food which was why I gained so much weight over the last 8 or so years (16kgs) then i joined this site (which I love, so much support and encouragement). But according to MFP I am way under eating even on the days I don't exercise.

You're here because you are/were overweight, right? Clearly, you KNOW how to get enough calories.

If you deny yourself SMALL AMOUNTS of food you enjoy, you will eventually crack, & try to eat the world... or crack & fall off the wagon for months & months & put it all back on. So....

INDULGE. Moderately. It's all in the portion control.

You'll be fine.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I struggled at first - especially with breakfast (always felt like I was going to be sick eating that early in the morning). My best advice is to space your meals out throughout the day – three meals, two snacks. WIthout knowing what you are eating now, it's hard to say what might be making you feel bloated. It could just be that your body hasn't adapted yet. Adding whole grains and legumes to meals may help – they aren't exactly low in calories, but they are nutrient-dense and filling without being heavy. Toss some chickpeas in a salad, cannellini beans into a pasta dish, etc. Also, you can't go wrong adding lots of veggies to meals.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Calorie-dense foods. Avocado. Peanut butter. Olive oil (or any oil, for that matter). Nuts.

Half an avocado is somewhere around 150 calories. Put that on your salad along with a tablespoon of olive oil (100 calories) and a handful of almonds (150 calories), and you've just added 400 calories to your day without a lot of extra food. Have a couple tablespoons of peanut butter for dessert (190-200 calories), and you're up to 600 extra calories without hardly batting an eye. All of those things contain healthy fats which are good for you (remember, dietary fat does not equal body fat). Fats also help keep you satiated so you don't get hungry again as quickly.

IMO, eating enough calories is easy. Not eating too many calories is what's more difficult.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this on exercise days because I am less hungry when I work out. I eat lots of peanut butter, and avocados and almonds. :)
  • paijing
    paijing Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If you're really not hungry, don't force yourself!

Learn to listen to your body and feed it with good food. When you get hungry, have a plan in place to make good choices. When you're not, enjoy doing some other activities.

Don't overindulge; don't starve. Find the right balance for you. :)