Why???

Options
Can anybody please tell me why I might have gained three pounds since Saturday when I haven't had more than my daily calories, drank all my water and have been working my butt off at the gym!!! I want to cry-okay I did cry. I feel like I am doing everything right but the scale is going the wrong way. I have a weigh in at my gym on Saturday for our Biggest Loser and I am scared to death! Please, any thoughts. Thanks!!

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    How was your sodium? Your body could be retaining water if the sodium was off the charts. Also if you're gaining muscle, your body will retain some water for that.
  • melville88
    melville88 Posts: 137
    Options
    if you;ve been working out loads at the gym then your weight gain might be because of muscle. Are you eating your extra exercise calories? it could be because of hormones as well (i know this sounds vulgar but if it's nearly 'the time of the month' you gain a couple of pounds from that. Just stick at it, don't give up!!!! xxx
  • gnme4243
    gnme4243 Posts: 120
    Options
    If your workouts have been weight training, using your muscles alot and not just cardio, your muscles might be retaining water right now. You are most likely losing inches instead of pounds right now. Don't worry, it doesn't last like this forever! How is your sodium intake? Try to keep you sodium low, definitely below 2000, I try to keep mine between 1500 and 1600 per day. That with the 10 cups of water I drink at least, seem to really help keep the water retention minimal.

Don't get discouraged!!! It sounds like you are doing wonderful, keep up the good work, make sure you are eating enough and the right stuff, watch your sodium, and try tracking your inches, not just pounds- then when you have the wonky scale days, you will see from your inches lost that what you are doing is working.

Example- I have only lost 41 pounds so far, but I have lost about 18 inches all together. So, sometimes the scale won't show what's really going on. Hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • Krickette_16
    Options
    Please don't get discouraged based on what the scale says. One thing that I've always heard from everybody is to not weigh yourself daily or if you must don't pay (~~too much~~) attention to the number on the scale. There are too many factors that can influence that number. One thing that I didn't do when I first started this journey was to take body measurements (I wish I had), which can be very useful especially at those times when it seems as if the scale isn't moving. Here's a link to an article that someone showed me awhile back. It helped me to gain a bit more understanding: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/articles/scale_lies.htm

Good luck onyour journey!!
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yeah I would say if you are lifting weights then it is probably water weight. You dont gain muscle that fast especially 2 lbs. Dont get discouraged. I did the same thing last week. I gained 4lbs in 3 days, but now all of it is off plus some. Hang in there
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    It could be so many things. Sodium related water retention, hormone related water retention (yay, being a girl!), muscles retaining water due to increased workout intensity. It could be that you're not eating enough (are you eating any of your exercise calories?). It could be your body readjusting to your routine/lifestyle.

I've been struggling through 2 plateaus over the last 2 months. The key to breaking through both of them? EATING MORE. :smile:

For more insight, please explain to us what you mean by "doing everything right."
  • Stepmom1
    Stepmom1 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Can anybody please tell me why I might have gained three pounds since Saturday when I haven't had more than my daily calories, drank all my water and have been working my butt off at the gym!!! I want to cry-okay I did cry. I feel like I am doing everything right but the scale is going the wrong way. I have a weigh in at my gym on Saturday for our Biggest Loser and I am scared to death! Please, any thoughts. Thanks!!

Body weight fluctuates all the time, especially for us women. Don't trust the scale solely. Also measurements and the way your clothes fit are a very good indicative of weight loss and maintenance. The numbers on the weight scale do not always accurately indicate or show what is happening underneath our skin. Don't fret, my dear. If you are doing every right, don't fear. Just continue on.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    it's simple...you didn't! :flowerforyou:
  • kzuppelli360
    Options
    Thanks everybody!!! I feel so much better. I will stay on track. I really appreciate the support!!
  • jennyb5149
    jennyb5149 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Could it be your time of the month? I know that I have a pattern of going up anywhere from 1-3# during my week and then will "magically" drop 5 - 7 pounds when I weigh in the follwoing week. In talking to some of my friends, I know that everyone's cycle differs; some people notice the weight gain the week before. Others, like me, notice it the week of and still others notice it for only 2 or 3 days at the beginning. Hang in there! You're doing everything within your power. Short of doing something dangerous (which I am NOT encouraging), you can't do anything else. Be proud of how hard you're working and hang on to the knowledge that sooner or later it will pay off .... though I know we all wish it would be sooner!!! LOL