White rice amounts

Options
Ok, So I have this white rice I have to use up before I go and buy brown rice. When I enter the rice in my food diary part and it asks me if it was 100gms of rice, do I weigh out 100g of cooked rice, or weigh it as 100g of uncooked rice? If cooked, then how much uncooked rice do I have to cook to get 100g of cooked rice?

Replies

• seakittyfish
    seakittyfish Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would think it would be cooked. But you can get any food and nutrition info from the USDA website. I use this a lot with MFP to confirm some of the entries in the database.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks. I'll weigh it when I cook it. I wish it would say though!
  • MySlimGoals
    Options
    Ok.. just used that website and it clearly means uncooked rice on MFP. Well I probably won't be weighing out 100g of uncooked rice - that would make SO much! lol. I'll have to find another way to enter it.
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    When I put in white rice... some came up as 1 cup and 100 gram too... I would use the 1 cup and take from that if you eat less than 1 cup.
  • seakittyfish
    seakittyfish Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks. I'll weigh it when I cook it. I wish it would say though!

I'm not sure what type of white rice you are using it could be instant but the rice I use is just plain white long grain rice. I just measured 100 g of it and it measures out to 1/2 cup. 1/2 cup of this rice uncooked will make 1 cup of cooked rice. Hope this helps....
  • MySlimGoals
    Options
    Thanks, yes I'm using the same type
  • MySlimGoals
    Options
    Today I ate 1 cup of cooked rice - plain longrain white. How many calories should that be? I hope I haven't pressed the wrong rice..
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Most grains and pulses are dried weight. My normal rice portion is 50g dry (less than recommended 75g) and that comes to 178 calories

Edit - the problem with weighing it cooked is rice is absorbent; so rice cooked for 12 min, weighs less than rice cooked for 14min or 16 min and so on!