Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

my blood sugar level

Hi,I am new to this website.Its okay I guess nothing as good as www.tribesports.com. But what I like about this website is that its making me aware of the calories i consume and I am trying to be good lol...but yesterday at 5 pm my blood sugar level kinda dipped and I was feeling faint so I snacked on peanuts and grapes to stabilize my blood sugar. Bit I am feeling guilt about jotting it down because already crossed the set calorie for me. What do I do? :(

Replies

• JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    If you feel you are going over your calorie goal, you should try exercising a little more so that you lose some calories. Go for a brisk walk after dinner for example. Nuts and fruit are the beset, but very sugary and high calorie. I used to need a lot of sugar too, but have weaned myself off it. In time it won't be as important to you. Just try to eat more whole foods as much as possible and train that sweet tooth :)
  • You did the right thing, you were feeling ill so you listened to your body. Nothing to feel guilty about. Especially because it was some nuts and fruit, not chocolate or whatever.
  • michaela4910
    michaela4910 Posts: 544 Member
    I have low blood sugar problems too but it would be hard to advise without being able to see your diary. I have not had an incident with my low blood sugar since joining MFP. As a general rule, skipping meals is a huge no-no, especially breakfast. Having a good mix of carbs and protein with all meals is a must. Refined sugar will give a quick boost but you can come crashing back down rather quickly.

If I do feel my blood sugar coming down, however, I won't hesitate to go over my calories for the day. That crash sucks and it can be dangerous.
  • Reema_capricorn
    Reema_capricorn Posts: 1,032 Member
    thanks everyone for your advice...I have also upped my water intake.And I keep drinking it to curb hunger but my body just wouldn't make do with water...what my diet diary is showing is very little protein consumption so I want to know is that the reason why I am feeling so faint? And if you think so how good are protein bars? I really don't want to venture into protein shakes and meal replacement protein drinks area...
  • michaela4910
    michaela4910 Posts: 544 Member
    I'm no scientist so I may not explain this well but, here goes. If you eat carbs by themselves, without protein, your body will covert the carbs to sugar and burn up the energy from them quickly. If you eat carbs with protein, the energy from the converted carbs stays with you longer. Not sure why that is true or how it works but that is what I understand. That is why eating the peanuts with the grapes helped you and helped you long term and not short term. Because you got carbs and protein together.

As far as protein bars go, I've never tried them.
  • Reema_capricorn
    Reema_capricorn Posts: 1,032 Member
    thanks Michael!! :)