Post natal depression/depression

Options
Im looking for advice and and input from anyone who has or has had postnatal depression. Ive had it with both my middle child and youngest, 5 and 15 months. I been prescribed anti-depressants for that and other issues but I feel worse on the tablets. Most days I feel good but lately Ive been having more bad days than good. I have bad anxiety that goes with it, I used to have panick attacks but havent had one for a while thank god. Im sick of the rollar coaster ride of up and down emotions, but again dont want the tablets. Any advice? Thanks.

Replies

• Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I have. fee; free to message me
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I had post partum depression after my second pregnancy. I didn't realize it was an issue until I started Zyban to quit smoking, and then noticed that my mood was greatly changed. This took just under 2 weeks. I ended up staying on Zyban for almost a year (I had a couple stop/starts quitting smoking as well).
    If you are finding that your depression is increased, and you are feeling anxiety, you are not on the right medication. People's bodies respond differently, which is why there are more than 1 kind. Talk to your doctor about how you are feeling on these meds.
  • kazmurphblin
    kazmurphblin Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I had post partum depression after my second pregnancy. I didn't realize it was an issue until I started Zyban to quit smoking, and then noticed that my mood was greatly changed. This took just under 2 weeks. I ended up staying on Zyban for almost a year (I had a couple stop/starts quitting smoking as well).
    If you are finding that your depression is increased, and you are feeling anxiety, you are not on the right medication. People's bodies respond differently, which is why there are more than 1 kind. Talk to your doctor about how you are feeling on these meds.

Hiya thank you Im not taking any meds, I hate the way they make me feel.
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Niacin is suppose to be good for depression. As effective as any drug without the side effects.
    Sometimes a new mother is too isolated and that is enough to get anyone down.
    Call a friend to come over to visit.
    Do not spend so much time alone. Have friends take turns dropping in.
    Then you have to be sure the house is cleaned, you dress up, and then you get to show off the babies.
    Exercise also helps raise the spirits.
    Luckily the warmer weather is coming, get them in the stroller and get out doors and give yourself some great exercise.
    If you are snowed in, get to the mall and walk around.
    Also buy yourself something to lift your spirits.
    For some women a hair dresser is more effective than a counselor.
    But most important is not to isolate.
  • ell5bell5
    ell5bell5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Is everything you do focused on your kids. ? Do you have time for you ?... I've been there and I feel for you. It creeps back now and again . You need to remember who you are, take some time out. Do something you want to do. Don't worry about how you feel towards the kids or anyone else. This time is about you now. Be a little selfish. You deserve it. Pnd is nasty. But you can get through it. Drop me a message if you want x
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i haven't had PND (no kids, you see) but depression sucks. The good news is that you are going to be okay. You just need to trust in the meds, make small positive changes and enjoy what you can until you enjoy everything. I was diagnosed two years ago and came off meds a year ago and i feel a million bucks now. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, some bugger just turned it off for a while xx

ETA I also didn't want the meds. But i took them in the end because i couldn't fight against them any more, and while they didn't 'fix me' they dulled the pain and sadness for long enough that i was able to work out what i wanted to feel liek and take steps to get there
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes a bunch of experimentation to find the correct meds for you. Don't give up just because the first few weren't the right ones.
  • kazmurphblin
    kazmurphblin Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Ive had an inbox message which has offered me an explanation that perhaps instead of full time meds I would be better with something, a one off, to ease the anxiety when it creeps up. Sounds like a better idea for me, its something Ive not considered before. I hate going to the doctors because its always the same answer .... more tablets!! lol!! Thanks again everyone x