Weight not really coming off help!

Recently I begun the quest of trying to drop weight. In result I have totally changed my diet, and of course introduced a cardio regime. I started this program last week (Friday) and at that time I weighed 265 pounds. It seems like the weight is not really coming off though. I weighed myself this morning and I was 262, so I don't if that was from result of my stomach being empty. The only thing that is different since I switched my diet is that I am using the bathroom less frequently, and my fiber intake has increased. Hopefully someone can shed some light on dieting and cardio and such. My bottom line question is that is there an adaption phase in weight where your body is in shock from the vast change in diet and is holding onto that excess fat stored in your body? If that's not an issue can some evaluate my cardio schedule? and possibly my diet?

Cardio:
5AM - 20 min jog 6.0MPH
20 min elliptical keeping above 100 RPM with level 7
20 min stationary bike keeping above 15MPH at level 7
10 min cooldown walk 3.5 MPH 7 Uphill

6PM - 20 min walk 4.0 MPH 7 uphill
20 min cybex trainer like an elliptical but does a full circle
20 min stationary bike 15MPH level 7
10 min cooldown walk 3.5 mph 7 uphill

Does that sound like a successful cardio regime? I mix weight training in there slowly just working up, due to soreness.

Now my diet. I am sticking to a lot of vegetables and Amy's organic food and such, I keep the rule of thumb to eat more vegetables and fruits compared to my ratio of meat. Since eliminating a lot of meat out of diet as well, by eating Amy's type frozen foods.

Does this sound like a reasonable weight loss program?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Replies

• mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    3 lbs in less than a week is a lot of weight to lose. How much are you expecting to lose in one week?
  • Not anything crazy just want to lose at a consistent rate.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Just keep at it. you'll lose. 1-2 pounds a week is realistic.
  • Your body is not a machine... the weight loss will go up and down and there will be weeks where you do not lose or even gain. The overall trend should be downwards as long as you eat less than you use. Please do eat enough and eat back at least half of your exercise calories if not all of them!
  • sarahmcp3
    sarahmcp3 Posts: 31 Member
    It's only been a week so I'd say it's too soon to really tell but three pounds in a week seems pretty good.
  • Just give it time.......you are doing a lot maybe your not eating enough to lose weight......but 3 lbs in less than a week is more than enough. Make sure you are feeding your metabolism cause it requires food to keep going and remember eat several times a day to keep it running......good luck don't give up or get discouraged
  • kp2752
    kp2752 Posts: 1 Member
    I think keeping in mind that significant weight loss is a marathon and not a sprint will help you. Weighing yourself every week helps but keep in mind that it took many years for the weight to build so you have to give it some time to come off permanently.

I would be VERY careful with eating Amy's. I ate Amy's enchiladas for an entire summer because they were quick easy and tasty but I GAINED SO MUCH WEIGHT. I've struggled with weight loss/eating and bingeing on carbs for years and finally I have seen the results I've always wanted. I'm losing fat mass while maintaining my protein mass.

I did this through eating LEAN PROTEIN and restricting ALL CARBS (breads, tortillas, rice). I barely worked out for this (30 minutes of yoga 3 times a week). It's really 80% diet and 20% exercise when it comes down to seeing results on the scale.

The key for weight loss and maintenance is actually getting in LEAN Protein for EVERY MEAL (chicken, turkey, some types of fish, avoided beef which tends to be unhealthy FAT, healthy types of beans). Snacking on high protein snacks. (greek yoghurt, almonds, pistachios). Measuring everything I ate. I eat simply salted and peppered boneless, skinless chicken tenders that I pan sear with a little olive oil. It's actually really delicious because seasonings don't have calories you need to worry about.

Protein helped me shed fat mass. It all comes down to the science of it. When you're eating protein and avoiding all carbs (including fruits which contain lots of sugar), your body enters a metabolic state called ketosis that relies on using all of the stored fat in your body as energy rather than the carbs (which are normally stored contributing to more weight gain). When you're trying to lose weight, you should be drinking at least 2 Liters of water EVERY DAY! I know it sounds like a lot, and seems like a lot at first (I'm always going to pee) but you need this water for all the metabolic reactions to work in your body to break down fat without breaking down protein (in addition to a high lean protein diet).

You can work out all you want but you won't see results without the diet change. I would eat more protein than fruits while you're trying to actively lose weight. You still need the fruits and veggies for the minerals and nutrients they provide for these very same metabolic reactions so don't cut them out completely. And remember, if you're going on a drastic diet change it doesn't hurt to ask your primary health care provider questions too.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Recently I begun the quest of trying to drop weight. In result I have totally changed my diet, and of course introduced a cardio regime. I started this program last week (Friday) and at that time I weighed 265 pounds. It seems like the weight is not really coming off though. I weighed myself this morning and I was 262, so I don't if that was from result of my stomach being empty. The only thing that is different since I switched my diet is that I am using the bathroom less frequently, and my fiber intake has increased. Hopefully someone can shed some light on dieting and cardio and such. My bottom line question is that is there an adaption phase in weight where your body is in shock from the vast change in diet and is holding onto that excess fat stored in your body? If that's not an issue can some evaluate my cardio schedule? and possibly my diet?

Cardio:
    5AM - 20 min jog 6.0MPH
    20 min elliptical keeping above 100 RPM with level 7
    20 min stationary bike keeping above 15MPH at level 7
    10 min cooldown walk 3.5 MPH 7 Uphill

6PM - 20 min walk 4.0 MPH 7 uphill
    20 min cybex trainer like an elliptical but does a full circle
    20 min stationary bike 15MPH level 7
    10 min cooldown walk 3.5 mph 7 uphill

Does that sound like a successful cardio regime? I mix weight training in there slowly just working up, due to soreness.

Now my diet. I am sticking to a lot of vegetables and Amy's organic food and such, I keep the rule of thumb to eat more vegetables and fruits compared to my ratio of meat. Since eliminating a lot of meat out of diet as well, by eating Amy's type frozen foods.

Does this sound like a reasonable weight loss program?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I Started out at 275 lb. in less than 35 days I dropped 27 lb. At our weight you don't even need to do exercise to drop weight (I only did a few days in the gym at most in that time).

I do see your goal calorie intake is 3000 - I dropped mine to 2000. Also your carbs look high (only b/c the 3000 limit) and your protein intake low. I do see some days you hit 1800, 800, 2000ish, so dropping to 2000 calories a day doesn't look like it'll hurt.

try to keep your calorie intake to around 2000 and only eat back half your workout calories (unless you feel like crap). If you don't keep the calories higher, you may binge eat.

I have also talked to a few on here who cheat on their diary. They don't list things like olive oil, coconut oil, a handful of nuts, etc. Those things add up, and you're only lying to yourself. Even if it's hard to track (i.e. eating out - try your best to add it all so you can track for your own good).
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Three pounds in less than a week is really good. Be patient with yourself, it takes time. I've been at it for a month and Ive lost 5 lbs. Weight loss in reality is not like tv. You want to balance yourself so you can stay in it for the duration. In the past it took me 14 months to lose 85 lbs but month by month there were changes.
  • TeenTwinkleToes
    TeenTwinkleToes Posts: 119 Member
    I started Jan 12th at 270, in a month I dropped 12 pounds, 3 pounds a week!! You keep losing 3 pounds a week, you'll start feeling great! Don't worry about 3 pounds, a healthy weight loss is like everyone said 1-2 pounds a week! Try not to think about the weight you are losing but the inches as well!! You'll get there! Just enjoy it, it's life changing and the longer you go the better you will feel about yourself!! Keep it up and congrats on the 3 pounds!! It's more than it seems ;] its a start to a new beginning for you!