how to break your plateau?

Options
For past few weeks i m losing only 0.5 kg around. today i lost only 0.2 kg. I m already in normal BMI. maybe cz of that I m not losing much weight. I eat 1200 or more too a day. Also i m doing JM 30 DS. i m on day 25 today. Any tips?.

Replies

• Gianna5587
    Gianna5587 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I up my calories, maintain my weight for a week or so and then go back to 1300 or less for a few days..

This seems to work better for me now than just 'dieting' continuously. I'm probably doing 1 week (or less) on, 2 weeks off now.

I think the key is the element of surprise! Just mix things up a bit..
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise cals?

I used to be on 1200 cals and I stopped losing and when I asked for advice I was told to up my cals. I was a little unsure of this but nothing else was working so I gave it a try and started losing again. I was the same as you really near goal. I constantly see posts from people who have plateued and they are always on 1200 cals, so maybe there is a link there. Give it a try and see how you go. If it doesn't work for you you can always go back.

Good luck :smile:
  • Poods71
    Options
    I up my calories, maintain my weight for a week or so and then go back to 1300 or less for a few days..

This seems to work better for me now than just 'dieting' continuously. I'm probably doing 1 week (or less) on, 2 weeks off now.

I think the key is the element of surprise! Just mix things up a bit..

I think this is probably a good idea too as I think your body gets used to the same routine and a wee shake up gets things moving again.
  • slimtoneneetz
    slimtoneneetz Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank u soo much!! I will try like u guys have said.. will fool my body with more calories. :-)
  • Poods71
    Options
    You're welcome and I hope it gets things started for you again :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Well if you're still losing (albeit at a slower rate) then it's not a plateau (which BTW is 6 weeks or more of NO WEIGHT LOSS if one is consistent with diet and exercise).
    You're losing slowly, but still losing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Hang on... you're losing... regularly... but think you're at a plateau? You're going to be sorely disappointed when you ACTUALLY plateau. You're doing fine, you're losing. Keep it up.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Youre losing, doesn't sound like a plateau to me, sounds like a nice healthy pace to lose. Might be frustrating to see the numbers crawling, but at least they are moving :)

Don't give up!
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Definitely cycle carbs and calories
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Change it up, shock your body. I know you hear muscle confusion this muscle confusion that, but I will testify before MFP that there is a method in that madness. But the same goes for eating, if your body knows, im getting feed this at this time, it starts to become a programmed machine, it starts to expect food at the same times, and will proccess them in the same way, now i udnerstand because of schedules its hard, but try switching over to 5 smaller meals for a period of time. Or if changing your meal plan isnt an option change your work out. I change mine every 3 months. Change what you do for cardio, if all you do is walk, start riding the bike, if all you do is bike start doing the elliptical. When you keep your body guessing what you are going to be doing, it doesnt try to go into auto pilot, and in turn stays more efficnet. (This is just my opinion) but hope it helps.
  • slimtoneneetz
    slimtoneneetz Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks a ton guys!! U have been a great help! I got frustrated seeing my scales do snail walk..he he..guess after all its moving down. Have to be patient :-)