Exercise Calorise

Options
I have a computer on my elliptical/stationary bike, which tells me I burn an average of 450 calories for every 15 minutes I do (and I do this three times a day normally). However, when I enter 45 minutes into here, it only gives me 311 carlories! Can anyone explain this please?

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I have a computer on my elliptical/stationary bike, which tells me I burn an average of 450 calories for every 15 minutes I do (and I do this three times a day normally). However, when I enter 45 minutes into here, it only gives me 311 carlories! Can anyone explain this please?

It sounds like your eliptical may be wrong.

450 calories is equivalent to over 4 miles of running, and I have to doubt whether you worked that hard in just 15 minutes.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Yeah that doesn't sound right. I'd go with the MFP number, and then realize that that's an estimate too.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    450 for 15 minutes is insane (30 calories a minute). you are more likely burning between 10-15 calories per minute unless you are going at a very high intensity (meaning 160+ heart rate) for the 15 minutes and then you might be burning 15-20 calories per minute.\

even 311 seems high. you might want to invest in a heart rate monitor and use a calorie tracker tied to the monitor and then input it manually on here.
  • BeautifulBrownButterfly
    Options
    You can't manually enter it? When I do my workouts using my HRM I create it and use the numbers my hrm gives me..
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Is the 450 the calories burned OR more likely, the Calories Burned PER HOUR rate?
  • Shelialouise66
    Options
    An HRM is the way to go, to more accurtely calculate your calorie burn.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Is the 450 the calories burned OR more likely, the Calories Burned PER HOUR rate?

This is what I was thinking too. The treadmills at my gym go by cals PER hour, and then in the end show you what you burned for your time on it.
  • kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 264 Member
    Options

This sounds nearer the mark! Anyhow, I knew the 450 calories wasn't right - how unfortunate, lol.