Alot of left over calories...

Options
Ok so i been tracking everything i eat for the last 3 days...and i enter my exercising, and when im done, i still have like 1500+ calories remaining...is that healthy? i feel fine. been eating 3 meals and 2 snacks everyday. put everything in the data sheet...just didnt know if it will be an issue or just help me more.

Replies

• miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I tend to have 500+ calories left over as well. I am going to work on filling it with some fruits or soemthing, but I try not to worry about it too much. 1500 calories left over seems extremely high though, how many calories are u taking in and how many are you burning.

I am trying to wrap my head around 1500 calories, seems really high, and many will tell you that that is not healthy and maybe putting your body into starvation mode and people tend to gain the weight back when they stop dieting or excercising

Maybe give us an idea as to what u eat calorie wise and workout
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Ok so i been tracking everything i eat for the last 3 days...and i enter my exercising, and when im done, i still have like 1500+ calories remaining...is that healthy? i feel fine. been eating 3 meals and 2 snacks everyday. put everything in the data sheet...just didnt know if it will be an issue or just help me more.

Are you sure that your exercise calories are right? more often then not, the calories that we're burning due to exercise can be way off, especially if you're using a website or the machines at the gym...when I use the elliptical at the gym for an hour it says I burn 688 calories, I do the same workout with my HRM and i've only burned 427....HUGE difference there..and that's assuming i've set my HMR properly to begin with.
  • anume25
    anume25 Posts: 19
    Options
    well i shared my diary out so u can go look at it. exercise i walk/ jog 3 miles a day and then hit the weights for bout 30 mins.

normal food for me tho consist of:
    morning:banana, yougart, and half english muffin.
    snack: 2-3 carrots
    lunch: grilled chken salad or subway sub
    snack: 2-3 carrots
    dinner: differs, like tonight will be pizza hut thin crust veggie pizza.
  • anume25
    Options

Are you sure that your exercise calories are right? more often then not, the calories that we're burning due to exercise can be way off, especially if you're using a website or the machines at the gym...when I use the elliptical at the gym for an hour it says I burn 688 calories, I do the same workout with my HRM and i've only burned 427....HUGE difference there..and that's assuming i've set my HMR properly to begin with.

not sure what the hrm is but when i enter what my exercise is and for how long, MFP calculates the calories for me...my town doesnt have a gym..
  • Buzzkitty1
    Buzzkitty1 Posts: 134
    Options
    Your daily intake isn't nearly enough. Eat the whole English muffin, put butter on, eat hummus with your 2-3 carrots. You're starving yourself. Is this a lifelong sustainable eating plan you are on? Because if I ate that way, after a short while I'd say the heck with this.
    Undereating does not equal fast weight loss. Read around the site a bit. There are great posts on the subject.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If you really are burning that many calories... you need to be eating more calories. If you work out at night - you know you're going to work out, so plan your meals accordingly. Like, today...I have a Turbo Kick class and plan to burn upwards of 600 calories so I planned my meals bigger and added snacks in to fill it out the best I could. I'm getting the fruits & veggies I need, protein, I'm almost up to fiber, etc. but I'll still have 400 left. BUT, that's no 1500 and most days I don't leave more than 100 of my exercise calories. You need to be eating more, otherwise you're basically burning everything you eat & it's like you haven't eaten today, despite whether you're hungry or not.

I can't imagine you're working out in the morning, because your metabolism spikes like crazy and you're usually starving all day after a morning workout. Just some thoughts!
  • anume25
    Options
    yea no i work out at bout 630pm get done around 830pm. so not eating enought...so should i step up my over all meals or my snacks or what?
  • anume25
    Options
    Your daily intake isn't nearly enough. Eat the whole English muffin, put butter on, eat hummus with your 2-3 carrots. You're starving yourself. Is this a lifelong sustainable eating plan you are on? Because if I ate that way, after a short while I'd say the heck with this.
    Undereating does not equal fast weight loss. Read around the site a bit. There are great posts on the subject.

wats hummus?...quick story on all of it...started bout 39 days ago, just cutting out cokes, teas and fast food. lost 30 pounds in 35 days..but i weighted my self again this past weekend and only lost another 2 pounds..so i decided i will start my exercising and watch the calories i eat for the whole month of april and see how it goes.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? (height & weight) Your daily goal is set for 2,440... that would be hard for me to meet too plus adding exercise calories! Maybe there was an error in that calculation. Mine and a lot of other users on here have a goal of 1200.
  • anume25
    Options
    What are your stats? (height & weight) Your daily goal is set for 2,440... that would be hard for me to meet too plus adding exercise calories! Maybe there was an error in that calculation. Mine and a lot of other users on here have a goal of 1200.

5'8, currently 320lbs, yea but i think it does the calculation for me doesnt it?
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Yep, it does it for you based on your height and weight. It seems like, yes, you should eat more... but sorry, I don't really know the answer to your question! Best of luck!!!!!!

Anyone.....??????
  • anume25
    Options
    Yep, it does it for you based on your height and weight. It seems like, yes, you should eat more... but sorry, I don't really know the answer to your question! Best of luck!!!!!!

Anyone.....??????

ok well ill kick it up some. thanks. you to.
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You will have more success in the future maintaining your losses if you practice eating more but healthier now.

That's what makes it fun and bearable.

I had a breakfast egg and cheese tortilla for breakfast, an orange, a big bowl of homemade vegatable chicken soup for lunch and I am having steak, ceasar salad, wild rice a roni and veggies for dinner.

Then probably some sf/ff pudding.

And I still have some calories left so I will either have some crackers and cheese this afternoon or save it for a drink or two.

Now that's what I call a diet.
  • anume25
    Options
    so like plan a big breakfast and lunch, and maybe not so big dinner? cause its around 830-10pm till i get to eat dinner.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should have bigger breakfast and lunch, and not too heavy a dinner. Based on what you showed as what you are eating. You seem to be way under. and throughout all what you showed, seems you need more veggies and fruits.

An english muffin, is just a couple hundred calories if so much, and you are only eating half. You should eat the whole muffin, maybe add some boiled egg with it or something.

Lunch you have subway, is it a footlong, or only 6 inches, but you show you have salad for some lunch, switch the salad to dinner, and the days you dont have subway, pick something else, with some starches included.

2-3 carrots for a snack, I gues is ok, but based on how many calories you should be taking in, seems small, so maybe add some fruits with that.

The thing with dieting, is if you start so drastic, after a while, you probably wont be able to keep up, and you may also get bored, and want to eat more and your body may start gaining back the weight.

So try eating more but picking healthy stuff to eat
  • anume25
    Options
    ok, ill see what i can do for tomorrow and have ya check it out for me see what ya think. thanks.
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Are you a sweet person or a salty person?

I'm a salty person so my snacks tend to lean towards crackers and cottage or cream cheese.

Or pickles or hummus.

I have to keep an eye on my sodium as you can see.

I always make sure one of my snacks is a piece of fruit.
  • Buzzkitty1
    Buzzkitty1 Posts: 134
    Options
    Hummus is a wonderful dip made from chick peas that is great with vegetables. It's tasty, and good for you, too. It's usually in the cold case near dairy stuff. :)

You might be surprised that by increasing your calories you start to lose weight again. When I started, my calorie target was right up there. As I lose weight, MFP decreases my calorie target. I think if you start off too low calorie wise, where exactly do you go when you start to lose. I eat some if not all of my exercise calories. I have my goal set to 1 pound per week. I work out on the Wii EA Active 4-5 times per week for 30-45 minutes. I have not weighed in yet this week, but overall I have lost very slowly and steadily.

Good luck finding the right balance.