Machine Calories or MFP Calories?

Replies

• jraines1973
    jraines1973 Posts: 231 Member
    I never use MFP readings...MFP estimates are really high and Im not going to cheat myself.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    I use the machines, as I put my height, weight and age into it and I try to keep my hands on the built in heart rate monitors for most of my workout. I AM looking to get a HRM though, I just don't want to spend ALL OF THE MONEY on one
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    MFP is actually pretty close, for me that is!

Same here. For running or walking anyway, MFP, a treadmill, or Runkeeper are all pretty close. Sometimes MFP is a little lower, since MFP doesn't include incline/hills into the equation.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    If you don't have a HRM, I'd average them. I got a HRM and realized the machine is just about right for me but MFP says I burned far fewer than the HRM says. It varies by person so your best bet is to take the average or the lower of the two (unless you start feeling really tired in which case you might be underestimating your calorie needs).
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    For your more basic machines (treadmills, stationary bikes, steppers, etc) go with the machine. For the newer fangled "hybrid" machines, hard to say for sure.

When in doubt, going with the lower number is always a safer option.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    So the general consensus is get a HRM. Which ones to you guys used?

I have the Polar FT7. I'd suggest the Polar FT4 since I've never used any of the fancy features that make the price difference. I got mine at heartratemonitorsusa.com with a coupon code (just google to find some codes) and it was the cheapest place I could find. Mine syncs well with all the treadmills I've used as well.
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Neither! Get a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) then you can enter your personal stats (age, height, weight etc) and it will give you a much more accurate burn calculation. I use a Polar FT4 which is a mid range one and perfect for MFP logging. Hope this helps.
  • jacksonpt
    Neither! Get a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) then you can enter your personal stats (age, height, weight etc) and it will give you a much more accurate burn calculation. I use a Polar FT4 which is a mid range one and perfect for MFP logging. Hope this helps.

Not necessarily. HRMs don't know what activity you are doing, and thus they don't know the workload associated with the workout. All they know is HR, which is at best tangentially related to calorie burns.
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    mfp is usually way off. machine is much closer usually.

take your pulse for 5 seconds in you do regular cardio. then use online calculator
    http://www.calories-calculator.net/Calories_Burned_By_Heart_Rate.html

best is HRM though. even those can be wrong.

very best is a VO2 max test. Then you know. but that changes with time too.

good luck!
  • jacksonpt
    For walking/running MFP- for everything else half of the machines numbers- I figure its better to underestimate!

This is actually backwards... for basic activities, trust the machine.

But the idea of using the lower number is always a safe bet.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Looks like you've already realized you need an HRM.

I love my Polar FT7 but the FT4 should be pretty cheap and also good. Polars also sync with most exercise equipment (no more having to hang on to the handles!).
  • jacksonpt
    Neither. Get a HRM. I found mine on Craigslist, and it was only $35. I have the Polar FT4. I thought that MFP must have been overestimating - and for a lot of people it does, but, it UNDER estimated for me. I would *find* the money for it.

Don't simply assume an HRM is going to be more accurate. Seems people automatically assume they are... not sure why though as it isn't always the case.
  • jacksonpt
    I just got one but it doesn't calculate calories. My heart rate and oxygen maybe? I don't know what to do with it.

If you don't know what to do with it, why did you get one?
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Not necessarily. HRMs don't know what activity you are doing, and thus they don't know the workload associated with the workout. All they know is HR, which is at best tangentially related to calorie burns.

But isn't the workload based on how hard your heart has to work (i.e. your heart rate)?
  • jacksonpt
    Neither. Get a HRM.

THIS over and over. HRM still isn't 100% accurate but it's as close as you're probably going to get.

Not necessarily.
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    If I enter my weight on the machine before exercising, I use the number it generates at the end (which is almost always lower than what MFP generates),
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    MFP numbers, especially for elliptical, are drastically higher so I almost always use the machine numbers. Figure I'm erring on the side of caution. I do want to pick up a HRM though.
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    mfp always underestimate my efforts i have a HRM and it is always accurately following the numbers on the machine i use , you just have to make sure you enter your age and weight in the machine's option cos that changes everything
  • holliwood97
    holliwood97 Posts: 138 Member
    So the general consensus is get a HRM. Which ones to you guys used?

I have a polarFt4 and its amazing. got it for 65 bucks from this sight.

http://www.bodytronics.com/

sports authority had the exact same one for 99 dollars.. so i ordered online. i also went with the mens version. (( Disliked the colors of the womens choices)) and the Mens have a Gender button to choose from when you set it up... i think you will LOVE it...
    i sure love mine!!
  • jacksonpt
    Treat yourself to a HRM. I found both massively out compared to a HRM and Body media. Know nothing is perfect but I trust the HRM a lot more. X

Edited to add of you want a HRM go Garmin... Not Polar!

Why?