Guys - where do you measure your waist?

Options
I want to use the correct waist measurement to calculate my body fat. I've seen at the navel, above the navel, below it. Widest and narrowest. I get about an inch difference depending on where I measure.

Replies

• GritsOnTits
    Options
    In a deep dark cave where no one will ever see
  • crabbok
    crabbok Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't use a tape measure, but I do keep track of my waist size by my pants, and specifically my belt. My belt is always at the same spot on my waist and as I go from notch to notch I cheer! Anyhow, probably not the exact answer you were looking for, but I figure the proper place is below the naval because that is where you pants go, and pants go by waist measurement, so it would seem reasonable that you measure where your pants go.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Men are supposed to take the measurement at the navel. Women are supposed to take it at the narrowest point.

I have no idea why it's different.
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I measure for my own tracking only, so I always go around the belly button as then I know I am going for the same spot each time! But I think a bit lower is where your waist measurement should be.
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Waist?? What waist??! :laugh:
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    In a deep dark cave where no one will ever see

I'm surprised I didn't see that coming.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I believe it is supposed to be taken around the belly button. Probably because that's where most of us carry our fat.