GOOD FAT VS. BAD FAT

shellee9tj
shellee9tj Posts: 221 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
OK, I have a question I was over on my fat the other day but it was a result of the almonds I had for a mid afternoon snack. I was told that the kind of fat from nuts are "good fats" so is it OK that I went over?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Yes. The good fats (like in nuts, avocados, etc.) are good because they help you lose weight! Or so I've read everywhere. :happy:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Fat is fat...no matter what. You should try not to go over (it happens to me at least once a week)...but try to limit saturated and trans fats. Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are the 'good' fats but still need to be watched. Your body needs fats in order for it to function properly, many vitamins and minerals are fat soluble (thus they need fat in order to be absorbed and used correctly).
  • I would say yes and no. People tend to think of their daily allowances for fats as a tolerance only, as if zero fat intake would be the ideal, but the truth is our bodies really do need fats. In an ideal world the fats our body needs would only come from unsaturated or "good" fats but of course we don't live in an ideal world. I would compare it to getting your calcium from a chocolate bar instead of a glass of nonfat milk.

Overall I would say don't worry about it too much, but don't consider "good" fat to be "free" fat.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    A gram of fat is going to have 9 calories no matter what kind it is, so compared to carbohydrates and protein (4 calories/gram each), it is far more calorie-dense than the other macronutrients. That is one reason to try to eat it sparingly. Beyond that, our bodies do need a certain amount of fat to function properly. Also, I find a little fat to be satiating (which makes sense because it is said to slow the breakdown of carbohydrates). I think, for me personally, the MFP fat allowance is way too small. I try to aim for a 40% carb, 30% protein, 30% fat ration and I find that I am rarely hungry.

But yes, some fats are better than others. Polyunsaturated and Monounsaturated are the so-called "good fats" though they differ in precisely how/why they are "good" and I can't recall that right now. You want to limit saturated fat the most and avoid trans fat all together.
  • mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    You should check out the Flat Belly Diet. I do this and lost weight right away, have a way flatter belly and am NEVER hungry. I do however eat about 3 times the amount of "fat" recommended by this site. Good fat is GOOD, it really is. If you are eating these MUFA's (as they are called in the Flat Belly Diet book) you will not be disappointed, however, you have to pair them with the right foods too, you can't just eat a bunch of it for a snack without having some protien, and fiber. This diet is not new by any means, it is basically exactly what Dr. Oz has been promoting for years and is honest to goodness truth. If you are up for it - try it you will be amazed. My advice - get the Flat Belly Diet Handbook (only $12). It gives you shopping lists and quick "snack-type" meals. The grocery list for the 1st week seems really expensive, but the subsequent 3 weeks are next to nothing because you use a lot from week 1.
This discussion has been closed.