Caloric intake from restaurants (not chain establishments)

Options
2»

Replies

• RobfromLakewood
    Options
    It's one day, so I wouldn't worry TOO much about it. It's Valentines Day, go out have a nice date with your man. Don't fret and talk about calories at dinner (eye roll). Order sensible (nothing breaded or fried, nothing in heavy butter, cheese or cream sauce). Estimate when you get home.

If I eat out, I always log extra servings of oil for cooking.

If you're that worried when your meal comes ask for a to-go box and wrap up half your meal right away.

All awesome ideas
  • RingSize8
    RingSize8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Although I totally agree that relaxing the rules for one day isn't a horrible thing, I do think it's a slippery slope.

Most of us learn that we can suspend the rules for a "special occasion"--but have you ever added up how many special occasions you celebrate in a year?

Holidays: New Year's, Valentine's Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and for some St. Patrick's Day

Birthdays: Mine, DH, DD the older, DS, DD the younger, BFF (doesn't count casual friends), Mom, Dad, Grandma, If you don't have kids, you might in the future and if you do have kids, you might have grandkids in the future

Anniversary

Parties: Promotions, Going away parties, birthdays at work, Retirement parties, Super Bowl, multiple holiday parties, work potlucks

I'm new at this so not yet proficient, but I know I have to stop thinking that special occasions are for eating. There could easily be a "special event" every week--and certainly several a month. Yes, I had a piece of cake at my grandmother's birthday party. But I also ate very lightly the rest of the day and fit that cake into my calorie allotment.

If you decide to have an off-plan meal, then have one. I just know that I need to be careful not to un-do all I'm doing--and for me, that means even "special occasions" need to be no greater than maintenance level.

^^^This^^^

And let's include ordering in because we're working late, business travel, vacations,......

I second all that. ...we could come with a reason to celebrate or splurge every damn day. If you've truly made a lifestyle change, there is no such thing as a splurge (in the sense that you just completely blow out your calories for the day). If I want to take down an XL cheese pizza from Round Table, that's cool, I'll just be spending 3 hours on a run. You can do whatever you want, which includes eating whatever you want, but don't go over your calories. If you know you're going to eat more than normal, burn more than normal, so you don't have to worry about it. Now, I'm not condoning overeating, but sometimes we want some stuff that just is not within our average daily intake range in terms of calories, in which case, make exercise your friend. A lifestyle change won't be sustainable if you have to completely give up things you really enjoy. There are plenty of days I work out and don't even end up eating those calories back because I'm just not hungry, and there are other days where I work my *kitten* off because I want a cupcake and some french fries. If you eat fairly healthy the majority of the time, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a high calorie meal - just plan for it, and make sure you burn off enough calories to make up for it. But, maybe that's just me.