If you only had 15 minutes...

Options
Yes, I know there are ways to make more time for working out, but let's leave that aside for a minute... if you could only find 15 minutes per day to workout, and you haven't worked out in years (decades even), and have at least 60 lbs to lose. The only machine you have access to is an elliptical trainer, you have a mat, some 3 lbs hand weights. How would you work it out so you got the most out of those 7 days x15 minutes?

Thanks for you feedback!

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Skip the elliptical and handweights. Do push-ups, squats, planks and jumping jacks.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Get a jump rope and alternate between speed rope and high knees.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I'd be on the elliptical for 15 min. If I had the ability to not hold on to the handles without falling outta those things, I'd be holding the hand weights too.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Skip the elliptical and handweights. Do push-ups, squats, planks and jumping jacks.

^This would be my plan too. Maybe some jump rope thrown in for fun.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options

^^^This!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

This plus maybe some lunges, burpess, let me ins (google it, its a back exercise for beginners)
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options

If you want the most bang for your buck, this is the way to go. You can look up "bodyweight exercises" for more variations on this.

If you can stretch the 15 minutes out to 30, you could look up the 30-day shred videos on youtube. Just get some real weights (5-10 lbs?), because you won't see the best results in that short time period with such light weights
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

This plus maybe some lunges, burpess, let me ins (google it, its a back exercise for beginners)

Burpees totally!

Saw this on Facebook a few days ago:
    528477_507557519276177_670488820_n.jpg
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options

Yes. And I'd check out zuzkalight.com. She has awesome bodyweight routines, and almost all of them are 14 minutes or less.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'd examine my schedule and try to squeeze in an extra 15 minutes. :wink:

Then I'd alternate strength training one day with cardio the next.
  • crystalhenry
    crystalhenry Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is what I call 15 min of hell- Only two Moves, but effective and will def get your heart rate sky high!

Ready........

EVERY MINUTE ON THE MINUTE FOR 15 MINUTES
    5 Burpees & 15 Kettlebell swings

Easy, right........give it a try and if its to easy throw in those push ups with the burpees..

Have a great Burn!!!
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    burpees! Actually I did 10 minutes of burpees a couple days ago..killed me..and love the on the minute burpee/kb swings crystalhenry mentioned! I do OTM kb swings for 15 and 20 min workouts. Maybe I'll combine them with burpees now. AWesome idea!
  • FionaDFair
    FionaDFair Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You might also check out Tone It Up for some workout inspiration. They have a lot of ideas for quick workouts that should give you good results.

http://toneitup.com/fitness.php?category=Fitness

I think you can also find videos by them on YouTube. I recently found some quick workout videos on my local cable providers OnDemand service that I've used. I worked up a pretty good sweat and also got in some good strength exercises. Good on you for getting even 15 minutes in! Sometimes it seems like there isn't time to workout, but the more exercise I have been able to do, the more that I want to do.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

At your age and not having worked out for years, I'd start with the elliptical, then add pushups against the wall and hand weights, then switch to pushups against a table or desk, add squats and jumping jacks. The build up to the above ^^

Then try and get your hands on a copy of Turbo Fire HIIT 15 and alternate that with the calisthenics above.
  • Lecterman
    Lecterman Posts: 97 Member
    Options

This
  • 2fat2fail
    Options
    Thanks for the responses so far... that was QUICK!

Would you do the same routine everyday for the 7 days or would you alternate between a few different workouts?

From what I'm reading, the elliptical is not really a good tool for such a short workout. So let me ask another follow-up question: One workout item to purchase?

Also, I would be worried about form for some of the exercises mentioned (remember, no work-outs in decades!), so is there a good source for seeing form in action online?

Thanks again!
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I would second the pushups / squats at least 3 days per week.

The other days I would do HIIT either on the elliptical or doing things like jumping jacks, mummy kicks, mountain climbers, jump squats ...

Last you have more than 15 minutes in a day to work out. You just need to decide how much of a priority your health is, and the time will be made
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'd examine my schedule and try to squeeze in an extra 15 minutes. :wink:

Then I'd alternate strength training one day with cardio the next.

I second Mrs. LL. :drinker:

I would alternate strength training and cardio days. Skip the 3-lb weights and do bodyweight exercises (pushups, lunges, squats, burpees, etc.). And make the most of your time on the elliptical with intervals (such as 2 minutes moderate speed, 1 minute as fast as you can, repeat for 15-30 minutes).
  • 2fat2fail
    Options
    15 minutes may not seem like a lot of time to most of you, but going from 0 to 15 minutes is a huge leap and people who imply that that means my health is not a priority are the reason so many people don't even BOTHER to do 15 minutes! They end up thinking that 15 minutes can't change anything and decide that is no better than doing nothing.

One of the reasons I have been unable to work out is because I got whooping cough last April (a few months into my gym membership ironically) and even once "healed" (in November) any exertion would lead to a coughing fit. I've finally gotten to the point where I can ride my bike again (man, I missed my bike this summer) but even relatively short walks (20-30 minutes) exhaust me. So 15 minutes is something I will doing in the evening, knowing that in all likelihood, I would, at least for now, be unable to do much more. I'd rather commit to doing 15 minutes and being able to complete 17 minutes, than to commit to doing 30 minutes, and not being able to meet that goal.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses so far... that was QUICK!

Would you do the same routine everyday for the 7 days or would you alternate between a few different workouts?

From what I'm reading, the elliptical is not really a good tool for such a short workout. So let me ask another follow-up question: One workout item to purchase?

Also, I would be worried about form for some of the exercises mentioned (remember, no work-outs in decades!), so is there a good source for seeing form in action online?

Thanks again!

The eliptical can give you a great workout in 15 minutes! And if you've been off exercise for a while, it would be wise (as in healthier for your heart) to get your cardio endurance back up before jumping into hardcore strength training or calisthenics. Whatever you do, start off at a reasonable pace, then keep pushing yourself to increase intensity.