NO FAST FOOD APRIL CHALLENGE!

Options
13»

Replies

• Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Went out to Easter lunch with family on the 3rd, but as I posted already, that will be it this month! No fast food, or restaurants of any kind for me.
  • MFT2010
    MFT2010 Posts: 122
    Options
    Hi everyone! How is it going? I'm still going strong with no fast food April! Whoot Whoot! Thanks for letting me be accountable to all of you!

Let's check in... how are you doing with the challenge?

today will be a tough day for me with work till 5:30- then class till 9...

Stay strong! and Healthy!
  • dukefanlisa
    dukefanlisa Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Almost a year ago, May 10, 2009 to be exact, I decided I was going to stop eating fast food. At first, I just wanted to see how long I could go without eating it. It was fast and convenient for me and I was eating it 3-4 times per week. I am proud to say that I still have not had anything from a fast food restaurant. I have had subway but I really wasn't considering that as fast food. I can not even imagine eating that stuff now! I don't want it and after a while, I haven't craved it either. It was a great lifestyle change for me!
  • alissaanne
    Options
    I am sooo in on this! I eat it way too much! I know it will save my body AND my wallet!
  • MFT2010
    Options
    Almost a year ago, May 10, 2009 to be exact, I decided I was going to stop eating fast food. At first, I just wanted to see how long I could go without eating it. It was fast and convenient for me and I was eating it 3-4 times per week. I am proud to say that I still have not had anything from a fast food restaurant. I have had subway but I really wasn't considering that as fast food. I can not even imagine eating that stuff now! I don't want it and after a while, I haven't craved it either. It was a great lifestyle change for me!

that's awesome ! thanks for sharing!!
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Awesome idea! I'd definitely like to join though I did have some on Sunday the 4th but nothing since. I'd def like to try avoiding fast food for the rest of the month though. I'm in if you'll have me.
  • shanna618
    shanna618 Posts: 21
    Options
    Day 12.....no fast food here! How is everyone else doing? Good I hope!!!
  • Steph_135
    Options
    Still going strong on this end too Shanna. :happy: Hope everyone else is doing fantastic!
  • MFT2010
    Options
    I really do feel better :) and it hasn't been nearly as hard as I expected :)

:drinker:
  • CelLung
    CelLung Posts: 3
    Options
    I really commend anyone choosing to go the fast food free route :D In my household, fast food was a trump card if were were in a rush (on roadtrips we left really early in the morning so hardly had time to eat at home), we were on the road, or if we didn't have any ingredients to make dinner. Recently a law has been passed that restaurants must post the nutritional value (if you can call it that) on their websites, and even vending machines must post the food labels. The scary thing I find about fast food and the like is that you don't know what is PUT in it, therefore how can one possibly guess the amount of calories (or harmful ingredients). I've never been to a Friendly's, but I looked it up in response to another post in the forum. Here is the link to the nutritional chart:

http://www.friendlys.com/about/nutrition-allergens/

As can be seen, some of the items on the menu have the equivalent number of calories as to what one eats in an *entire* day, and this is only one restaurant.

But as an extra step, you can both nix unhealthy food from your diet AND replace it with healthy food. If you like fried chicken, for example, you can take some wings or thighs, coat them with flour, and bake them. It's not the EXACT same, of course, but it's close enough for me personally, and I don't regret eating it later ;) Also, I know organic foods are a bit pricey, but I find their a pretty good way to go. They don't (granted they're USDA approved) have harmful ingredients like BHT or hydrogenated oils and they actually *give* you vitamins, minerals, etc. Admittedly, some organic/healthy/natural foods are high in calories such as avacado, but they're packed with nutrients that keep you young, healthy, and even increase your metabolism to some degree. Compare that to fast food that may be high in calories, but you only get fat, grease, and dangerous chemicals.

In lieu of fast food, you can make your own meals. There are tons of cook books that specialize in preparing a meal in advance, so when you're in a rush, just slap the ingredients together, add some heat, and voila!

I really do support all of you and I'm relieved to see that there are some people willing to take this step away from the "quick and easy" foods. If I can be of any help, or if anyone needs that extra boost of support, feel free to let me know :)
  • MFT2010
    Options
    I really commend anyone choosing to go the fast food free route :D In my household, fast food was a trump card if were were in a rush (on roadtrips we left really early in the morning so hardly had time to eat at home), we were on the road, or if we didn't have any ingredients to make dinner. Recently a law has been passed that restaurants must post the nutritional value (if you can call it that) on their websites, and even vending machines must post the food labels. The scary thing I find about fast food and the like is that you don't know what is PUT in it, therefore how can one possibly guess the amount of calories (or harmful ingredients). I've never been to a Friendly's, but I looked it up in response to another post in the forum. Here is the link to the nutritional chart:

http://www.friendlys.com/about/nutrition-allergens/

As can be seen, some of the items on the menu have the equivalent number of calories as to what one eats in an *entire* day, and this is only one restaurant.

But as an extra step, you can both nix unhealthy food from your diet AND replace it with healthy food. If you like fried chicken, for example, you can take some wings or thighs, coat them with flour, and bake them. It's not the EXACT same, of course, but it's close enough for me personally, and I don't regret eating it later ;) Also, I know organic foods are a bit pricey, but I find their a pretty good way to go. They don't (granted they're USDA approved) have harmful ingredients like BHT or hydrogenated oils and they actually *give* you vitamins, minerals, etc. Admittedly, some organic/healthy/natural foods are high in calories such as avacado, but they're packed with nutrients that keep you young, healthy, and even increase your metabolism to some degree. Compare that to fast food that may be high in calories, but you only get fat, grease, and dangerous chemicals.

In lieu of fast food, you can make your own meals. There are tons of cook books that specialize in preparing a meal in advance, so when you're in a rush, just slap the ingredients together, add some heat, and voila!

I really do support all of you and I'm relieved to see that there are some people willing to take this step away from the "quick and easy" foods. If I can be of any help, or if anyone needs that extra boost of support, feel free to let me know :)

CellLung thanks for the info. and encouragement :) I really appreciate the support :)
  • Steph_135
    Options
    Fast food is usually only a temptation for me when I'm at home with family. The real challenge will be convincing THEM to stop eating fast food.
  • MFT2010
    Options
    Fast food is usually only a temptation for me when I'm at home with family. The real challenge will be convincing THEM to stop eating fast food.

that would be really really hard.... good for you for being a good role model! maybe you will rub off on them !
  • Steph_135
    Options
    Thanks MFT! I hope so, cause that, in turn, will make it easier for ME to stick with it! :happy:
  • MFT2010
    Options
    Damn It! so close but so far! Had Zaxby's today.. argh!
  • MFT2010
    Options
    one more day :)
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any fast food yet this month and it feels great. Who's up for a no fast food in May challenge? I know I am.
  • MFT2010
    Options
    whoa! Ryhenblue.. thanks for the challenge I wouldn't have done it otherwise :)

lets start a new topic.. I'll do that now!