can anyone recommend a diet

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 4 in and weigh 176. I would like to get back to 150. I have been following a 1200 calorie diet but seems to come of extremely slow. some days I even gain weight. I am working out at least 500-800 calories a day. Any advice on something that works for you.

Safe and healthy weight loss should be slow. Unless you are obese/morbidly obese, you should ideally be at about 1-1.5 Lbs loss per week as it is generally considered safe by nutrition and medical experts. The less you have to lose, the slower it should be to preserve lean body mass.

Also, you don't gain fat in a day...your body has natural fluctuations due to water retention/release and food and liquid intake/output and waste. 3,500 calories above your maintenance calories = 1 Lb of fat gain...for me, I would have to consume 5,920 calories in a day to accomplish this...if I go out on a limb and say your maintenance TDEE is around 1,900 calories, that would mean you would have to consume 5,400 calories in one day to gain 1Lb of fat. This is not my opinion, this is science...3,500 calories = roughly 1 Lb of fat period.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    From what you've said and your profile your BMR is likely around 1550 kcal a day. Add 20% or so and your TDEE is around 1850, and so a 1lb a week deficit would put you at eating 1350 kcal a day. That will vary depending how normally active you are (or not). And it's just an estimate from a calculator. But it won't be too far off.

And that's with you eating back your exercise calories. Eating 1200 and burning an extra 800 and not eating it back is probably bad news since that would put you at eating around 400 kcal a day NET. Well below your BMR and therefore unhealthy.

Weight loss takes time. You need to be patient. You also shouldn't worry when the scale goes up and down day by day. That's normal and is not indicative of sudden fat gain. You want to track trends over a long period of time.
  • ssghamil
    Options
    I have been on this diet for about 30 days. seems like i just need to be patient. I started at 186 on 01/19 and am at 177 02/14/2013. just seems with all the exercise and diet to be slow.
  • ssghamil
    Options
    seems like a gain weight instead of lose. i gained a pound overnight just fustrated.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I have been on this diet for about 30 days. seems like i just need to be patient. I started at 186 on 01/19 and am at 177 02/14/2013. just seems with all the exercise and diet to be slow.

You have lost 9lbs in under a month... how is that slow?

Fast weight loss isn't healthy. Take it slow and you will be happier with the results. You will be able to maintain muscle mass and lessen any loose skin you may have.
  • GoneKona
    Options
    I agree. I dont think you're eating enough. If you want a good healthy diet to follow, try the South Beach Diet. It was designed by a cardiologist to help heart patients. Leave Phase I alone and concentrate on Phase II.
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    seems like a gain weight instead of lose. i gained a pound overnight just fustrated.

Your expectations are seriously out of whack.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

Your weight is going to fluctuate day to day. This is normal and is due to water weight. You have lost 9 lbs in less than a month. I would die for a loss like that.

If anything you should slow down your weight loss to 1-2 lbs per week as opposed to 3.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Your expectations are seriously out of whack.

Agreed....9 Lbs in a month is about 2 Lbs per week...which is what I assume you checked off when you signed up with MFP. Why would you expect more. Besides, more than 2 Lbs per week on a consistent basis should really be done with supervision of a medical professional. You didn't put on the weight overnight and it's not coming off over night...shouldn't come off overnight. You need to reevaluate your expectations and do some research on safe, healthy weight loss. This is a marathon, not the 100 meter dash.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Lean protean and all the veggies you want.

Include some fruits, a limited amount of whole grain.

No starches: potatoes, pasta etc.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Lean protean and all the veggies you want.

Include some fruits, a limited amount of whole grain.

Whole grain is a starch. No reason to avoid potatoes, but processed whole grains like pasta, bread, etc should be avoided.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options

Only if you ate 3500 calories over your daily burn. So if you laid in bed and your BMR was 1400. Then you ate 4900 while laying in bed. Then you would gained a pound.

Weight fluctuates day to day. It can be water retention. I guarantee it was not fat.
  • AngryDiet
    Options

Whole grain is a starch. No reason to avoid potatoes, but processed whole grains like pasta, bread, etc should be avoided.

No. No to all of this.

No.
  • ssghamil
    Options
    thanks everyone. I will keep on trucking with trying to eat healthier. i will remain on task at try to eat better and enough calories. thanks for all the input
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    20% calorie deficit and a well thought out exercise routine
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I only eat monochromatic foods