Shorter Females who lift weight and don't feel bulky

Options
Hi all!

So I am beginning to take weight lifting more seriously. I have avoided it because I am short and I usually do not like what happens in the short term to my body when I lift. I realize at this point that to make more progress I need a consistent resistance training routine. I do LOVE the feeling of strength that comes with this training. Up until now I have been doing mostly old school floor work for strength. I am looking for other shorties that strength train and like the results that they got. I teach cardio dance classes for a living so I do not want an overly muscular look to take away from my dancing, do you know what I mean? I want the focus on the dance and not my muscles, I hope this makes sense.

I am 5ft, btw.

Also, if you found a form of resistence that you enjoy, even if it is not traditional weight lifting, please share that too!

Thanks ladies!

Replies

• happy_travels
    happy_travels Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You are not going to get bulky. It's not as easy as just lifting weights, especially for women. You (typically) have to eat at a surplus, you have to train hard, and in the case of most serious bodybuilding women, "supplement", if you know what I mean. Do big, compound lifts. If you want strength, go around 5 reps. You'll still gain size, a bit, if you're new or if you're eating at a surplus, but it's not like you're going to get huge.
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am barely 5" on a good day:laugh: and have been lifting heavy for a while with no "bulk"! For women it is VERY difficult to put on muscle weight because we lack the high amt's of testosterone to enable muscle growth. Secondly bulk can never happen if you are eating at a deficit as again muscle growth needs added caloric intake.

If anything, I have become tighter and smaller by doing heavy lifts while cutting down on cardio.

I do Strong Lifts 5x5 and some other variations but all in the 8rep range.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Check out the New Rules for Lifting for Women book - it is awesome and includes a nutrition plan and 6 months of progressively heavier weight training. You will not bulk up unless you are a genetic outlier.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm short and I lift weights and I don't think I'm bulky.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Check out the New Rules for Lifting for Women book - it is awesome and includes a nutrition plan and 6 months of progressively heavier weight training. You will not bulk up unless you are a genetic outlier.
    ^^This!!!!! I
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    ^^This!!!!! I

I just bought this book! I am going back to lifting after 9 years, when I used to lift I definitely was not bulky at all.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    No way will you get bulky. I also like Cassey Ho's Pilates (free on YouTube) which involves using your own bodyweight for resistance
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I am about 4' 11" and a half. For strength I both lift and then do TRX. No bulk, but my balance has improved considerably as has my strength, esp in my shoulders, back and core.
  • JcSans
    JcSans Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Shorty here at 5'1" and I have been lifting for about 4 months now. No bulk here! In fact I am losing inches and gaining strength.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 5'4", and I *am* trying to get to what you'd probably call bulky, and it's really, really, hard. Really. As long as you don't make it your full-time job, it won't happen.

What probably will happen is that in the short term, your muscles are going to swell up a bit and they're going to poof out whatever fat you have and you'll go "ew, bulk" but just stick with it and everything will calm down and the fat will thin out and then you'll go "ooo, tone!"
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    <<<< 5'0", this chick deadlifts 205# and squats 185#.. & I have a killer booty to prove it..

My measurements have down NOTHING but go down in the last year. You are not gonna get bulky girls!!!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    <<<< 5'0", this chick deadlifts 205# and squats 185#.. & I have a killer booty to prove it..

My measurements have down NOTHING but go down in the last year. You are not gonna get bulky girls!!!!

We are friends and I've watched her progress. Everything she said is true but don't believe me. Take a look at her profle pics!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and I lift like a badass. Not bulky.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I'll just leave this here...and occasionally come back to drool over it:

743405396.jpg
  • happy_travels
    Options
    You are not going to get bulky. It's not as easy as just lifting weights, especially for women. You (typically) have to eat at a surplus, you have to train hard, and in the case of most serious bodybuilding women, "supplement", if you know what I mean. Do big, compound lifts. If you want strength, go around 5 reps. You'll still gain size, a bit, if you're new or if you're eating at a surplus, but it's not like you're going to get huge.

You know it could be that I am usually eating at matainence that I don't like what happens. I am dealing with the newbie "pump" at the moment. My legs are changing shape and my pants feel tight but i have to commit to a deficit so that it all leans down.

I will research the rep ranges, thank you for the heads up. So short heavy lifting for density?
  • happy_travels
    Options
    I am barely 5" on a good day:laugh: and have been lifting heavy for a while with no "bulk"! For women it is VERY difficult to put on muscle weight because we lack the high amt's of testosterone to enable muscle growth. Secondly bulk can never happen if you are eating at a deficit as again muscle growth needs added caloric intake.

If anything, I have become tighter and smaller by doing heavy lifts while cutting down on cardio.

I do Strong Lifts 5x5 and some other variations but all in the 8rep range.

Again, I will commit to a deficit this time!
  • giveMEbeauty
    giveMEbeauty Posts: 192
    Options
    Bump