I fell of the wagon!!!

Options
I have been on MFP since the begining of the year. I cut a few things out of my diet completely(gluten, high frutcose corn syrup, pop, soy, red meat and as I can aford it organic). Did really well the first 4 wks lost 17 lbs. Then my birthday happened. Hubby want to take me to dinner at our favorite resturant ( we only go once a year) and that when everything went to hell. It has been a week now and I gained 3lbs back and can not seem to get back on track. I have a very fast, busy life. I work full time (3-12 hr shifts up at 2am for work at 330am), go to school full time (in nursing), have a household to keep running 2 grown children, a son in law and 2 grand children all living with us. When I am at home I only have a few hours before I need to go to bed. Im super stressed and have no energy. I need to get back on track!! Any advice on how to change would be greatly appreciated.

Kim

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]14192422.png[/url]
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Don't feel like you have to take on the world. Just start by staying under your calorie goal. Then, try to make better choices. You can still have treats, just not all of them, all the time.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you made a lot of drastic changes. You need to decide if they are sustainable. If so, then dig deep and look for what motivated you to do that. If not, then modify those changes, make them sustainable and while you're at it, make your life easier. Plan and prepare as much as you can so those chaotic days are easier. 17lbs is nothing to snub at and you deserve to keep that off.

It's ultimately your choice. Do you want to the same New Year's resolution next year as this one? Or do you want to be the person who accomplishes their goal and moves on?
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I am willing to bet the 3 pounds is water weight - especially if you ate gluten or other carbs after restricting them from your diet since the beginning of the year.
  • pinkeclipse
    pinkeclipse Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all great advice. I have eated gluten and dont know why it upset my stomach now. And Im going to take Sundays and get things prepared for the week and utlize my freezer.

14192422.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can look at it this way...you have found some things that help you lose weight, but still might need to find ways to make eating healthy more sustainable for the long term.

That said, 4 weeks and 17 lbs down and a week off with 3 pounds back is STILL ahead of those sitting on the couch that have done nothing. The great thing about the wagon is, even if you fall it is easy to get back on. Take the expereience and learn from it.

Try again.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Dust off your knees...and climb back on the wagon.....
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I am off the wagon the next few days myself. But I am only giving myself a couple days, then back on track.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. That's why I can't have cheat meals. Cheat meals turn into cheat days and then cheat weeks and then cheat months and before I know it I've been overweight for 2 decades!

The only thing to do is knuckle down buckle down and climb right back into the wagon. Now go drink a glass of water and put on your climbing duds.
  • Getyourshineon
    Options
    Dust off your knees...and climb back on the wagon.....

Yes, that! Don't try to conquer the world all at one time.. Cheat days are okay, especially for special occassions! Climb back on and take 1 day at a time!!! You can do this!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    get your *kitten* back on the wagon and FOCUS!!!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can look at it this way...you have found some things that help you lose weight, but still might need to find ways to make eating healthy more sustainable for the long term.

That said, 4 weeks and 17 lbs down and a week off with 3 pounds back is STILL ahead of those sitting on the couch that have done nothing. The great thing about the wagon is, even if you fall it is easy to get back on. Take the expereience and learn from it.

Try again.

Well said!
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    You started off amazingly! I'm thinking as other(s) have said that the 3lbs is water weight. You have a chance to get back on track now. Do exactly what you were doing before. Take time to prep your food - if you feel like you 'dont have time' then schedule that time just like you schedule work/school/studying/family into your week. Don't be afraid to ask for help. If you need help to prep, then reach out to those around you. They want you to be successful. You can do it!
  • dcyr009
    Options
    Just keep telling yourself, "You had your fun and enjoyed it and now it is over". Don't feel bad about it. Just start up all over again.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    There is no wagon.

Starting now, you make the choices that you know you need to make.

And whatever you do, do *not* fall into the trap of, "well, I fell off the wagon, so now I can just throw everything out."
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    We all fall... the idea is to get back up again and do the best you can to keep on going strong! I started eating my pastas again last week and boy did I enjoy myself! lol!!! now it's back to being who I want to be and become!
  • kaorinchan
    kaorinchan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you should have a lot of help at home, I understand working and going to school full time-- many of us have to do it! Are you taking care of the grandchildren? Maybe your kids/son-in-law could help keep the house running smoothly since they are grown adults. You shouldn't have to do it all! Let them be responsible for them and their kids, so you have time to focus on you and your health.

Good luck!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    put some of those other grown adults in your home to task. There is no reason you should be doing the lion's share of the work.

and just back on that horse
  • snowflakeheather
    snowflakeheather Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yup....you fell off the wagon. But it sounds like you're ready to get back on board. Pick a few small goals to start with, and find success. Somebody recently told me that nothing tastes as good as skinny. Thinking that thought has helped me to make a few better choices recently. It's all about one choice at a time. You can do it! :)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I think you eliminated too much stuff at once. Don't 'diet' or you'll feel deprived and give in. Eat whatever you want, but stay under your cals for the day and log everything. Pay attention to the calories in the food you eat, then gradually, one at a time, make changes in your diet as you exercise and you'll still lose weight.
    When I did that, I was mortified at how high calorie and how low the nutrition was in the food I had been eating. I also realized that I wasn't eating enough food. Once you eat healthy, you get a lot more food for the amt. of calories. It's totally worth it.
    Don't give up. You can do this!
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Your life sounds extremely stressful. Just from having so much on the go. If you're not getting enough sleep, that could cause the weight to pack back on because being short on sleep and high on stress is going to release cortisol (the stress hormone) like crazy! I think you need to seriously consider if there are any commitments going on in your life right now that you can afford to drop or if there are tasks you can deligate to someone with a bit more time than you so you have time to take a bit better care of yourself.... or at least not get burned out!