Embarassed myself at the gym today... but its OKAY

Options

Replies

• originalkazila
    Options
    I still go backwards at first when I go on the elliptical. Ask about an orientation you'll feel way more comfortable once you have someone show you what to do.

Today I totally almost wiped out on the treadmill (got lost in a thought and ran too close to the edge of the belt) anyway, this stuff happens. Totally proud of you for going right back tomorrow to try again!
  • toshi89
    toshi89 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed, be proud! Also, they should have an instruction something somewhere in the gym. Look for that next time, just in case. Also, stick to the elliptical. It's better for the knees than the treadmill. They say you know you got a true work out if you sweat, so you did better than a lot of people no matter what.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Good for you! We've all been there. I definitely recommend at least a few sessions with a trainer because not only will they get you comfortable on the equipment, they're also generally better at knowing what you can do than you are, and getting shown that is empowering. Also, sometimes they will share their embarassing stories with you, which is always entertaining. Mine fell off a treadmill in front of his high school sweetheart. (And I remind myself of this whenever I do something dumb, like get a collar stuck on a bar and sit there struggling with it for what feels like an hour while everybody is STARING AT ME... oh, wait, no they're not. It just feels like it.)
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I kept tripping the last few times while running because I've been trying to land on the balls of my feet instead of my heels. So don't feel bad or self-conscious, we all look awkward sometimes!
  • BossChic
    BossChic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good job, at least you went and did something. Eveyone has to start somewhere. As others have said...keep at it! It'll build your endurance up and before you know it that 5 mins will be 50 mins.

You rock
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    You made it 4 minutes and 30 seconds longer than I did the first time I tried the elliptical! :drinker:
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    So today was my first day going to the gym. It was also me going alone. Anyone who knows me knows I have social anxiety and I hate the idea that others could be looking at me, BUT I went by myself.

So I had already emailed the gym and asked the best times to come (when they were not busy). After he emailed me back I decided on 11:00 am. So today I got up and started reving myself up to go to the gym. I did make it there by 11 and was happy to see about 6 people total were there today. Three of the people were employees.

Good job :flowerforyou: I have SA too. I avoid exercising in front of people like it's the plague. So, stupidly, I rarely took advantage of my free gym membership when I was in college. I really wanted to use their free weights and stuff but there were always big dudes there when I went :embarassed: I never thought of the email idea.

BUT I'm going back for my final semester this fall, so maybe I'll take a cue from you and brave the weight room there after all.
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    I have been going to the gym for a long time, but I still hate walking in and feeling like everyone is watching you. I'm proud of you for making that step and doing it. And there are still machines that I haven't tried yet and wouldn't know how to start them so don't even feel embarrassed since they all start different ways. ((Hugs)) and again, proud of you!!
  • patapon
    Options
    Well done - I hate the gym they are awfull places and I 've been going for years! I just plug my earphones in avoid all eye contact and get on with it. Keep up the good work and ask them for an induction, they should take you around all the machines and tell you how to use them.
  • samanthalee87
    Options
    I love your courage in going there and getting it done. The gym machines aren't always easy and some of them are way too technical to understand. Great job for having the motivation to get as much done as you can and setting a goal to go back tomorrow!
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I finished the session holding the broken wrist with my other hand and working on spirals. Then called husband for ride to ER.

Your determination is seriously awesome. :flowerforyou: I've broken an arm before, as well as a foot, and it really hurts. There is NO WAY I'd finish any kind of workout with a broken anything.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'm a very shy person as well and it only takes a tiny thing for me to turn beet red, even if it's not that embarrassing.

Keep your head up!
    You went! And that's more than most people can say.:flowerforyou:

If it makes you feel better the first THREE spin class I attended, I nearly passed out every time, halfway through the 45 min. duration.
    By the 4th class I was okay, but I know my instructor was probably thinking geez, I wish this chic would find another class to attend..lol.

No worries, you can do it. Just stick with it!
  • Lynn_is_happy
    Lynn_is_happy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to use one either, but what a great start! Good to get over fears and you will that much prouder when you go back. Good for you!
  • Tryinonemoretime
    Tryinonemoretime Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You are my HERO! I have wanted to start at the gym (half a block from me) for so long and I am too AFRAID to go alone!!!! Backwards, frontwards or sideways! You went!
  • ForeverChasingTheSunsets
    Options
    I applaud you!

I also did that about four years ago... knew nothing about gym equipment. The elliptical was also my first choice. I got on and almost fell off when the pedal moved down before I had a chance to place the other foot in the second pedal! After about a month, I got a new member tour of the equipment. It helped me a lot.

Keep going! It is a huge motivation to see your progress every week! The first time I went I managed 20 minutes at level one. After only three weeks of going three times a week, I was doing 30 minutes at a level three.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Walking through the front door is the hardest part, Congrats
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! I share that social anxiety so I know how hard it was for you! Don't be embarrassed... you went you kicked *kitten* that's all that matters. Ellipticals go backward for a reason, it works different muscles anyway. Ask for a tour or suggestions when you go in next time. You did it! You WILL do it again! Great job :)
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    good for you....you didn't embarrass yourself....you might have felt embarrassed but nothing you did was embarrassing....way to go getting out of your comfort zone to improve your healthy.....excellent effort....
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    **APPLAUSE*

As someone who's also a SAP, I really get how difficult that was. And I am happy for you that YOU WON!
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be embarrassed over that! Plenty of people go backwards on those and I do believe they have a setting to go backwards! My first time at the gym it was packed and I choose the elliptical too for the first time ever and it took me a few minutes to realize I had to move to get it started. EVERYONE DOES IT!

I did it too. Good job for stepping outside your comfort zone and doing something just for you!! (and I promise, it gets easier :happy: )