JUMP ROPING

Options
I moved to a new location on my job and this guy came up to me and I didnt know who the heck he was... He said hey I havent saw you in a long time... I stood there with a blank stare...omg... it was a guy that was very overweight and he had lost almost 60 lbs... I asked him what was his secret and he said eating healthy and jump roping everyday for 15 minutes...what? He said he did 30 day shred and saw the jump ropes that Jillian were doing and continued doing them for 15 minutes daily... Has anyone lost any weight with jump roping?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope is a great cardiovascular exercise. But, at the end of the day, your workout of choice has less impact on weight loss than your diet. Find some cardio you love. Get a good strength training program down, and, most importantly of all, eat less calories than you burn. If you're consuming more calories than you burn, or equal amounts, you will not lose weight, no matter what or how much exercise you do.
  • mrshill2007
    mrshill2007 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope is a great cardiovascular exercise. But, at the end of the day, your workout of choice has less impact on weight loss than your diet. Find some cardio you love. Get a good strength training program down, and, most importantly of all, eat less calories than you burn. If you're consuming more calories than you burn, or equal amounts, you will not lose weight, no matter what or how much exercise you do.

Is this really tru? Because I only burn about 400 calories a day so does that mean dont eat more than 400? That sounds crazy to me....
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    There is no way you only burn 400 a day. I'd burn about 1300 just laying in bed all day. The "eat less than you burn" isn't just calories burned through exercise. Everyone burns calories just by living. This is called your BMR. There are several calculators you can use to determine your BMR, they're not completely accurate, but will give you a picture. As a 5'4", 126ish pounds, 35 year old female, I burn around 1300 literally doing nothing. Add in life (I use a modifier for a sedentary lifestyle because I have a desk job), and there's about 1500 calories burnt. This is all before I work out. If i use a "moderately active" modifer and just use that to include my workouts, my BMR would be around 1800, if I'm remembering correctly. I can eat roughly 1700-1800 and maintain my weight.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Is this really tru? Because I only burn about 400 calories a day so does that mean dont eat more than 400? That sounds crazy to me....

You also burn calories just for being alive, for daily movement, etc. Working out isn't the only time you're burning calories.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    ANY daily physical activity of THAT level (jump rope is high impact) will cause you to lose!!!!

I love jumping rope but I prefer running. :)
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    ANY daily physical activity of THAT level (jump rope is high impact) will cause you to lose!!!!

This
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options

Same! I do a lot of jumping rope to get extra calories at night though! If you can jump continuously at a decent pace for 5 minutes it'll burn around 50 calories.

Also, OP, that is the way this website is set up. It guesses, based on the information you provide it, how many calories you burn a day just living. Then you log exercise on top of that and it adjusts your calories up to eat them back, because it builds in that nice deficit for you already. If you did nothing at all, you would just eat the base amount of calories that MFP tells you to and you would be at whatever your chosen "lbs per week" deficit was.
  • mrshill2007
    mrshill2007 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    But he never used the actually jump rope... he just did it the same way Jillian did on 30 day shred... Wow... I think I will try doing 15 minutes a day....
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options

No, that's not it. The calories MFP gives you is already factors in a deficit, so you can eat every one of those calories and still lose weight. What she's talking about is eating more calories than your body needs to function and whatever extra you burn off in a day through exercise. When you track your exercise, you should be able to eat your calories back-- I don't like doing that in case I overestimate my calories burned and or underestimate my calories taken in. You can use this site to help you better understand if I didn't explain well enough: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ She's right though, losing weight mainly depends on your overall diet; the exercise is to ensure good fitness and overall health. You can always try jump rope, though any cardio exercises are very good for you.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    But he never used the actually jump rope... he just did it the same way Jillian did on 30 day shred... Wow... I think I will try doing 15 minutes a day....

Jumping is jumping. :) Using an actual rope likely has more benefit as it helps to keep you at a steady pace and tone your arms more, as well as help with posture, but if you are just jumping it is still great cardio.