I am disappointed

Options
I started 30ds on 1/28 and I was skeptical about starting it without a HRM monitor but did it anyways. MFP has given me 299 calories burned in 25 minutes which I thought was awesome! Well, I ordered one the other day and it came today so I used it during my workout and it only calculated 153 calories burned?! I don't know what to do now...

Replies

• DoneBroughtSexyBack
    Options
    Do 50 minutes!

For real though... you can't take all these numbers on MFP as factual. I know it is disappointing to find out that you are not doing as much as you thought, but take the opportunity to say "now I know" (and knowing is half the battle) and move forward toward your goal. at least now you wont be surprised to find you are gaining weight at a certain calorie intake.
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I actually did do 50 minutes on Monday and yesterday and it gave me 5-something...I think I put it in as 550. There are people on my friends list who are doing the same thing and getting 250+ calories calculated with their HRMs for 25mins.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    30DS is awesome. I used my HRM and I get about 125 cals burned. No, it's not alot, but you are toning your body. It will help your clothes fit better, trust me! Sometimes I'll do level 2 and 3 back to back. THEN, I'm tired!
  • Mommy4812
    Options
    DWH, thanks! That makes me feel better knowing that someone else got lower calories counted. I do know that I have already lost a good bit of inches in my waist, hips and thighs already and tomorrow will be Day3 on level 2 for me so that makes me feel better knowing that I've gotta be doing something right!
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    MFP's calculations for calories burned is way over exaggerated. It's usually about half of what they tell you.
  • Mommy4812
    Options
    Maybe I should also mention that someone posted somewhere on here a few other sites with calorie calculations for different exercises and they were all within 30 calories of each other including MFP.
  • Mommy4812
    Options
    Bump...for more thoughts, please?
  • Mommy4812
    Options
    Anyone??
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    30DS didn't give me a cardio burn, but toned the hell out of me. Forget cardio and see it as a great toning program.
  • swingsnatchlift
    swingsnatchlift Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Keep going with 30ds. I just started it, but this not the first time (did it before with great results). Intuitively, 299 cal seems too high. I've been logging it as circuit training for 18 minutes ( this may be a stupid category to use, but its the best i could come up with, and i only count the high intensity minutes) and I get in the low 200s. I just got my HRM today, so it will be interesting what my actual results are. I would do another workout, or like others have suggested, do 2 30ds workouts in one day. I'm with you though, I would be bummed too.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    i don't know about the 30DS, but my HRM gives me lower calorie burns than MFP does. it makes me happy to know that i'm more accurately monitoring my intake.
  • donnalh63
    Options
    I usually search the web for several sources and then try to go somewhere in the middle. The spin bike I use says I burn very little, yet the eliptical says I burn a lot. I looked up what other websites say and have found a happy medium.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I can work out for 30 minutes and only burn about 140 calories. I only weight about 140 and am 5'6" It's different for everyone, the bigger you are, the more calories you burn. I am on heart meds and can't even get my hr up past about 115 working hard, so I have no idea how accurate things are anyway. Just keep plugging away and know that using a HRM is your best way to track your calories.
  • Mommy4812
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I am just going to go with my HRM from now on I guess. It has a chest strap and everything so it's probably pretty accurate. :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Trust your HRM, not other people's burns. You can't compare your burns to other people's burns because there are too many factors involved...the heavier you are the more you burn...the taller you are the more you burn...the less fit you are the more you burn....if you have a high resting HR you will burn more because you're starting out with a higher HR...medications like beta blockers affect your burn because they are "cariac chill pills". There are too many factors involved to compare your burn to someone elses.
  • Mommy4812
    Options
    I'm short and fat, thanks! lol. Well, I'm 5'2 and at 196lbs. I've been exercising since November...
  • Mommy4812
    Options
    Now I found this...

30 day shred calorie burn - 3.267 calories burnt per pound every hour. Multiply by weight to get how many calories per hour you would burn and divide by 3 to get each 20 minute work out

=213
  • martinh78
    Options
    Now I found this...

30 day shred calorie burn - 3.267 calories burnt per pound every hour. Multiply by weight to get how many calories per hour you would burn and divide by 3 to get each 20 minute work out

=213

That doesn't take into account your rate of exertion though, your hrm does. Not been funny but I can go for a 30min run and burn 380 calories one day and 540 calories the next. It depends on how high your heart rate gets and how long it stays there. So exercising for 1 hour at 60% of your heart rate max is going to burn less than 1 hour at 80% of max heart rate.

My watch tells me how long I spend in each zone. My runs in the snow had me at 90% up for 25 minutes. The same run on a good day would see me at that rate for 5mins, and at 75-85% for 20mins.

So you either have to work harder or longer if you want to burn more calories.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I felt bummed when I learned my numbers for zumba wasn't near or over 800 calories burned. It was close to 400. After I got over the shock and obsession of worrying about my numbers they tend to be over 500 but not quite 600. Use the info to challenge you and feel better knowing you are informed of the correct numbers.
  • amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    i only ever burned between 150 and 190 with 30ds but if i felt i could do more then id just repeat it