Weightloss is complicated.

Options
13»

Replies

• harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    It IS as simple as healthful eating and exercise. But we live in a culture that wants us to do exactly the opposite. We live in a culture that puts bacon on french fries and burger patties between two donuts, a culture where chefs become celebrities and the more butter-soaked their cuisine, the more popular (I am looking at you, Paula Deen). We live in a culture that elevates those who sit at a desk all day and demeans those who do physical work. We live in a culture where four cheeseburgers cost less than a pound of apples. Almost everything about our culture sets us up to fail.
    Whatever happened to taking responsibility for your actions? I am sorry but this is pure nonsense.

+1
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If its so simple, why does my daily food report keep telling me to eart more! I'm eating 3 meals a day!

Probably because you are logging your exercise. MFP gives you a deficit in your calorie goal and expects you to eat exercise calories back because MFP's activity level settings do not include exercise. It has nothing to do with how many times per day you eat...it's all calories in, calories out. Using the MFP method, you have to fuel your workouts.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    IF IT WAS EASY 95% OF PEOPLE WOULDNT GAIN IT BACK AND EVERY ONE WOULD BE THIN!!!! YES I'M SHOUTING BECAUSE I WANT THE PEOPLE WHO THINK ALL IT TAKES IS A LITTLE WILL POWER TO HEAR ME!!!!

I just re-read this entire thread. Not on single person posted that it was EASY. Most posted that weight loss is SIMPLE.

Definition of easy - causing or involving little difficulty or discomfort
    Definition of simple - uncomplicated

If you don't know the meaning of the words you use, please consult a dictionary.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    It IS as simple as healthful eating and exercise. But we live in a culture that wants us to do exactly the opposite. We live in a culture that puts bacon on french fries and burger patties between two donuts, a culture where chefs become celebrities and the more butter-soaked their cuisine, the more popular (I am looking at you, Paula Deen). We live in a culture that elevates those who sit at a desk all day and demeans those who do physical work. We live in a culture where four cheeseburgers cost less than a pound of apples. Almost everything about our culture sets us up to fail.
    Whatever happened to taking responsibility for your actions? I am sorry but this is pure nonsense.

Interesting. I read back through my original post and don't see anywhere I suggested people not take personal responsibility. On the contrary, my first sentence pointed out the fact that it IS simple. I think your negativity is pure nonsense.
    Actually you didn't. You described a world in which none of us live in. Your comment on demeaning physical work is comical.

Again... no I didn't. I am 100% positive I have seen bacon on french fries. I am 100% positive I have seen a burger served between two krispy kreme donuts. I am 100% sure I just saw Paula Deen on TV yesterday slathering the corpse of a chicken with butter. I am 90% positive a McDonald's Hamburger is 99¢ (can't say 100% because I haven't been at a McDonalds in more than 5 years) and a pound of apples at Whole Foods was the other day was $2.39. I am 100% positive Donald Trump sits at a desk. And if you think people don't demean physical work, ask an 8 year old if he wants to grow up and be a garbage man. I am 100% positive you are a person who looks for the absolute worst in everyone/everything despite what common sense would dictate. And I am 100% positive I am done with this conversation and clicking the good ole ignore button. *Poof*
    Sorry hun. I accept the consequences of my actions. I don't blame a society that caters to what the people want. Your analogy on the child is beyond absurdity, I can't even comprehend your thinking on that one.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    No, weightloss is SIMPLE. It's SO simple in fact, that people can't help but try to over-complicate it.
    This^^^ Many companies make their money out of complicating things. It is up to you to figure out what works for you and be a bit of a detective doing so.

Here is a valuable discussion from a PHd researcher and avid bodybuilder about the "clean" concept. It really does not need to be complicated.

http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/biolayne-video-log-12-clean-eating-vs-iifym-if-it-fits-your-macros/
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I'm so overwhelmed by all the different advice I receive daily lol but I take everything in. Thank u all.
    Stick to something and remove yourself from the forums. I am dead serious. Too many opinions will kill your progress.

I totally agree with this.

I tend to agree as well. The forums here have more entertainment value than actual informative value. I would have been screwed if I joined MFP before forming half a clue of what I was doing.

Don't get me wrong - there is no shortage of people fighting the good fight and pumping out useful information day in and day out; but it's drowned out by the torrent of misinformation.

yes, all of this^
  • tasha4341
    Options