Resting Metabolic rate tested?

Options
Short story..after about a year of struggling at the same size/weight(very minimal measurement change either) I decided to go in to get this tested...ASSUMING it was going to be extremely low.. and I would have to lower intake even further...but the opposite occurred...

My resting rate is 1738(now before you go off on it being too high....I'm not a petite thing my any means).. my intake has been 1400 daily for as long as I can remember(log and weigh foods).....with 6 weekly workouts... 2 days heavy lift... 4 days cardio(running/bootcamp/spin) for amounts between 1hr to 1 1/2...

Suggestion is to up calorie intake to 1550 for weight loss.....but being sent to a nutritionist because the tech who did the test thinks I may need more..than the 1550 the test suggested due to exercise burns......but to HOLD this amount.. for 2 months...no wavering out of it...

I really REALLY would like to hear from anyone that has had this tested..and even more so if it made you change your intake based on results?..and if it was a positive or negative change..??

I will be honest...my fear of weight gain is high at this point. And logically to me... it should be a calorie in and out deal...I know its been said over and over on here you have to fuel to a certain point.......but when you have to actually do it..well..I just worry...... I have worked too hard at where I am now....to go back..and I never want to repeat the up and down cycle I have been on almost my whole life..EVER again..

but obviously a year of this and no change..something isnt working...I am training for a triathlon and it would be nice to finally FINALLY be done with this...and be a goal size(I'm not concerned about weight) by July!

thanks in advance xoxo

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    It doesn't add up.

If you have consistently been eating 1400 calories for a long period of time, and your RMR is 1738 (so your TDEE is at least 2085 plus the exercise you mentioned), you would be losing weight.

I just have to believe that either the test was wrong or the food intake is wrong. That is just too large of a discrepancy.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Then the test has to be wrong.. there is no way in HEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLL I am eating maintenance levels... I even OVER estimate food in logs to make up for possible errors.. No f'in way...
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    There are two possibilities.

1. The test was inaccurate

2. Your logging is inaccurate

I don't know which one is wrong but one of them is wrong.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Just curious, how does that compare to what various websites have estimated you br to be?
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Just checked..the physical test was 200 cals higher than online calculators...

Maybe I should retest? I spent 50 bucks on the damn thing..Like I want the wrong results.. fuuuuuuug
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Or the other possibility is you have been eating with such a huge deficit that your basically in a plateau unless something changes.

I would actually say eat your RMR rate, because with your exercise you should be eating more than 1400 anyways. I was in the same spot you were for a long time, started eating more and weight started going bye bye.. Large deficits kill progress.